GH4 in the Wilderness at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 27th, 2015, 04:32 PM   #1
Trustee

GH4 in the Wilderness

Latest GH4 project for fun. Equipment and settings listed on Vimeo site.

Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 12:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: GH4 in the Wilderness

Slow shots 4K slowed "in post" Mark?

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 06:56 AM   #3
Trustee

All shot in 1080p 60fps and slowed in post. My NLE software does not work with 4K. A while back I did try down sizing some 4k clips to 1080p but it slows the work-flow too much which is cumbersome to me. I probably won't work with 4k until I have a 60fps camera and upgrade my editing software.
Old July 1st, 2015, 03:47 PM   #4
Trustee

Mark,

If you're on a PC with an Intel Core i7 2nd, 3rd, or 4th generation processor the software I use was just offered to me at $89 (I already bought it at $99 recently). Pinnacle Studio 17.5 from Corel handled my 4K on the timeline effortlessly on a 2nd generation processor and it just "flies" with 18.5 on my current 4th generation Core i7 machine.

Nothing shabby about what you're doing with 1080p though. Your nature work is gorgeous!
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 03:50 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Bruce, that is good to know. I will try it out.
Old July 1st, 2015, 04:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I also use the inexpensive software. In my case it's Movie Studio 13 and it is a dream with 4K on a box store Asus i7 920 from 2010. You can get that one for $100 - $120 I think with all the suite stuff.

In any case, your 1080-60p images are perfect !!! It's hard to give up the option to do slow motion. I often cringe every time I capture a scene in 4K because I know I might want to slow it down later.

In any case, nice stuff

Cheers,
Pete
Pete Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 09:07 PM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Pete, I will look into it. My computer also has an i920 cpu.
Old July 4th, 2015, 10:26 AM   #8
Trustee

Hi Mark.

If your not using the GH4 for 4K your really missing out on the magic of this camera!

I don't profess to be an expert in 4K but prior to getting the GH4 I was loving life shooting HD with the 5D3 but once I shot my first project in 4K with the GH4 I pretty much only use my 5D3 for lowlight and stills.

This was my first GH4 project about a week after I purchased the GH4 so I really didn't have much of an idea of how good this camera could be:

Here's my workflow:

I'm on a Mac so I encode to ProResLT at 4K using MPEGStreaClip

Color Correct 4K selected takes in DaVinci Resolve Lite 11. Its great for panning and scanning and then export 1080P https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...davinciresolve

Then assemble in FCP.

The absolut best part of this workflow is that with the exception of FCP, which I already owned, its FREE. Resolve 12 has added a lot of editing features so I'm hoping if they work as advertised I can omit FCP. Resolve is a bit intimidating but for $20 you can sign up at Lynda.com and they have some great tutorials:
Watch DaVinci Resolve 11 Tutorials on Essential Training

You have beautiful footage but using a GH4 for HD is like shooting stills with a 5D3 and not using Lightroom to correct them with. Your using less than half of the quality that's available to you.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2015, 09:40 PM   #9
Trustee

Chuck, thanks for your insight into shooting 4K with the GH4. Beautiful footage in your video. If the GH5 gets 4K 60fps I will be sold on the format.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series