Whats this dot :) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 30th, 2015, 10:19 AM   #1
Trustee

Whats this dot :)

Just noticed this today when using my GH4. Pointing at clear blue sky and aperture set at f22.
If it was there all along I didn't see it.
Its not on the outside of the lens or filter and the lens never was off.
Could it be dirt on the sensor?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Whats this dot :)-spot.jpg  
Anthony McErlean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 10:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Whats this dot :)

Dust on sensor is my guess
Andy Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 10:50 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Andy, how would that get there and the lens wasn't of the camera and not in a dusty environment?
Old September 30th, 2015, 11:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Thanks Andy, how would that get there and the lens wasn't of the camera and not in a dusty environment?
Even if you never remove the lens, the mere act of zooming the lens pulls some air into the lens barrel as the internal lenses move back and forth. I routinely clean the OUTSIDE of my camera body/lens with a spritz of canned air. Since I do change lenses, I keep the mount area especially clean, since dust seems to accumulate near where the lens & body mate
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 11:35 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Pachiano View Post
Even if you never remove the lens, the mere act of zooming the lens pulls some air into the lens barrel as the internal lenses move back and forth. I routinely clean the OUTSIDE of my camera body/lens with a spritz of canned air. Since I do change lenses, I keep the mount area especially clean, since dust seems to accumulate near where the lens & body mate
Thanks Vince, I didn't know that.
So is there a way I can safely clean the sensor myself?
Old September 30th, 2015, 03:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I think you can go into the menu and do a sensor clean physically I would not touch the sensor with anything.

TBH my get like that as I'm always changing lenses and I just use the cleaning method in the software in the menu seems to have worked so far.
If that does not work hold the camera upside down and use a big blower then do a menu clean then see how it is.
Andy Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 03:14 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Harding View Post
I think you can go into the menu and do a sensor clean physically .
I see sensor cleaning in the menu, I tried that but its still there.
How would I know if its on the sensor or the back of the lens next to the sensor, I only have the one lens BTW.
Thanks.
Old September 30th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #8
Major Player

yep, it's a dust bunny!! interchangeable lens are prone to this, and even fixed ones too sometimes. I've cleaned a good deal of sensors myself, but it's not for the faint-hearted ;-)

I use a product called Dust-Aid, if it's not done right you can introduce more dust than was there before!

You wont notice it though unless you shoot at a clear area and at a high f stop.
Old September 30th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cantwell View Post
yep, it's a dust bunny!! interchangeable lens are prone to this, and even fixed ones too sometimes. I've cleaned a good deal of sensors myself, but it's not for the faint-hearted ;-)

I use a product called Dust-Aid, if it's not done right you can introduce more dust tha was there before!

You wont notice it though unless you shoot at a clear area and at a high f stop.
Hi Rob, yes, it's more noticeable at the higher f stop as you say.
It's just that one spec of dust, I will see if I can get myself a blower.

So how do you go about it, switch off camera remove lens turn camera upside down and point the blower up towards the sensor, is this correct?

Thanks.
Old September 30th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #10
Major Player

well the first thing to try is the in-camera sensor cleaning that it has next thing would be sensor cleaning using a puffer/blower. I'm not familiar with Panasonics but with a Canon you remove the lens, leave the camera on and select manual cleaning from the menu, try and find an area thats as free of dust as you can and use the blower, be careful not to allow the nozzle to go inside the housing or hit the sensor, with the Canon you just switch off the camera and your done, replace the lens.

There is an option with Dust-Aid to try dry sensor cleaning, also theres dry brush cleaning I've never done these so don't know what their like.
I generally use wet sensor cleaning if the blower doesn't work. You can see the way it's done if you search for wet sensor cleaning
Old October 1st, 2015, 01:15 AM   #11
Trustee

Hi Rob, camera sensor cleaning didn't work, I will get myself a blower and try that.
Thanks.
Old October 1st, 2015, 07:58 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Anthony

I know Noa used to use something called an Arctic Brush which spins and cleans dry. My EA-50's used to get so bad I had to do wet cleans ..I used the Visible Dust system which has fluid and a special sensor swab which you wet and wipe the sensor one way only, then turn it over and wipe with the other side.

They are pretty pricy too!! A kit with 4 swabs and 1ml of fluid set me back about $69.00!!

I'm sure Noa will come here and give you some hints as he is a big GH4 user!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 08:34 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Anthony

I know Noa used to use something called an Arctic Brush which spins and cleans dry. My EA-50's used to get so bad I had to do wet cleans ..I used the Visible Dust system which has fluid and a special sensor swab which you wet and wipe the sensor one way only, then turn it over and wipe with the other side.

They are pretty pricy too!! A kit with 4 swabs and 1ml of fluid set me back about $69.00!!

I'm sure Noa will come here and give you some hints as he is a big GH4 user!!
Thank you Chris for that info as well. I will look that Arctic Brush up.

I got myself a blower and held the camera upside down, give it a few blasts and glad to say the spec has gone...lets hope:)
I think it was there all along and only showing itself now.

Thank you all for your advice,
Old October 3rd, 2015, 10:32 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I've used these on my GH4 and they work perfectly with the solution they sell.

Photographic Solutions Sensor Swab Type 1 Large (Box of 12) ? Pictureline

It's a couple drops of the solution on the swab and one wipe to clean your sensor.

I'm out in the dust and dirt all day every day I film and these things are indispensable, especially if you are filming in bright sunlight with a blank sky behind. Higher f stops on a consistent color back drop like that will show every single dust grain on the sensor.

Cheers,
Pete
Pete Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2015, 07:21 AM   #15
Trustee

I use the hand operated blower all the time on my GH4. It works well.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series