GH4 and Metabones at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 11th, 2016, 01:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GH4 and Metabones

I've just got a GH4 but at the moment my Canon lenses won't fit.

I've got a Canon EF 70-200 F4.5/5.6 IS USM
Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS USM
Sigma 10-20 F4/5.6

So, my question is, should I get a Metabones Adaptor or sell the Canon lenses and get a Lumix 35-100 or 14-140?

I was thinking of getting either the Metabones 0.6x or 0.7x. but have read about vignetting. I've also read that the 14-140 is just OK in good light but poor in low light.

Anyone any advice?

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: GH4 and Metabones

I have the original Metabones Speed Booster and the Metabones Smart adapter and have used them with the following Canon L lenses: 17-40, 24-105, 70-200mm f2.8, 100-400m (both 1 and II Versions) 500mmf4 and 600mm F4. I have not noticed vignetting with these lenses.

I have the 14-140 and 100-300 Panasonic lenses and think they look as sharp or sharper on the GH4 as the Canon glass. They also auto-focus much better (at least for me) than my Canon lenses with the Metabones adapters, but I normally use manual focus in conjunction with an external monitor when filming wildlife and the Canon lenses manual focus much more smoothly. Of course the Canon's are faster and when using the speed booster even the 100-400mm becomes a decent lens for low-light wildlife photography.

I mostly use the Canon lenses, but would not like to be without either of my Panasonic lenses so in my opinion the ideal thing would be to get the metabones adapter for your Canon glass and at least one of the Panasonic lenses and see where your experience leads you from there.
Old February 18th, 2016, 08:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for that Willard.

I went ahead and bought the XL Metabones before reading your post. Didn't realise until it was too late that the XL doesn't take EF-S lens, so will have to sell my Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8. Thinking of getting the Sigma 18-35 F1.8, which has had good reviews.

I've had a bit of a play with my other lenses and they appear to be OK, especially my Sigma 10-20 which has a great FOV.

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2016, 03:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Let me know how much you want for your EF-S 17-55 f2.8

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series