G7vs ax100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 23rd, 2016, 04:16 PM   #1
Major Player

G7vs ax100

A question if I may for folks who shoot with a Panasonic G7 and the Sony AX100. As I continue the search for the perfect piece of gear that shoots 4k video and decent stills and doesn't weight a ton the Panasonic G7 crossed my path. Right now my one cam approach for shooting photographs and video is the AX100. Excellent 4k video and very adequate, for me, photographs however changing from one mode to the other requires a mind numbing time consuming reconfiguration of the settings, and furthermore it is a bit of a brick weighing close to 1kg.

So my question is how might the Panasonic g7, significantly less weight and the price is right enough, compare image quality-wise (photo and video) and general user-friendly functionality when shooting in full sunlight to cloudy days, not low light night shooting or indoors.

Many thanks...
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 12:07 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: G7vs ax100

Outdoors just as good. Indoors ax100 all day long unless have fast lens for g7 like 42.5 panasonic.
G7 is excellent but would get 14-45 instead of 14-42. Just that bit sharper better. Or if can afford it then panasonic 12-35 2.8
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 02:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Steve, very helpful. Since posting the question I noted a comment on the Internet that 'There's one other curse: most of their OIS lenses produce micro-jitters during hand-held recording. This renders the GH4 useless for run-and-gun.' Referring to Panasonic OIS lenses of course. If true, and as we all know the Internet is full of misinformation, then that might well be a show-stopper.

And as I think this through the AX100 built in ND filters are so user friendly. Fiddling with add-on ND's for the G7 kind of tips the balance back significantly towards the heavier AX100.

Perhaps I'm still searching for the perfect cam that shoots 4k video and decent stills.
Old March 25th, 2016, 03:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I don't see that problem with jitters in my panasonic stabilized lenses, below is a test shot with the gh4 and 42,5mm f1.7 handheld, same applies for my 12-35mm f2.8
password: test
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:10 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Noa, looks fine to me, and now I shall have another cup of coffee (without milk and sugar thanks) and think about it.

Cheers.
Old March 25th, 2016, 09:43 PM   #6
Major Player

Wow, Noa, that is pretty smooth for hand held shots. The only way you know it is not on the tripod is when you change shots.....
Tim Paynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 10:33 PM   #7
Major Player

Yes, way better than I can do, that's for sure. Maybe I should lay off drinking the coffee and just shoot it.

For what it's worth I compared the following evaluating steadiness - lack of jitter:

Panasonic 14-140 lens (on the BMPCC - lens stabilization, no in-body)
Sony 18-200 (on the A6000 - lens stabilization, no in-body)
Sony AX100 (built in 29 to 348mm - in-body active Steadyshot stabilization)

This was a somewhat quick and dirty comparison, not rocket science, but the result was clear and significant. The lens stabilization in the lens of the Panasonic and the Sony 18-200 didn't even come close to matching the in-body stabilization of the AX100. I would go so far as to say that only the AX100 delivered acceptable overall results. Bear in mind the test was conducted using my aging hands after lots of coffee.

The AX100 is now an 'old' model and well known for the quality of the 4k video it produces. What is not talked about is the fact that it does produce very respectable 20 Megapixel photographs that for my purposes are more than adequate not to forget the benefit of built in ND's. Seems to me there is no better overall daylight walkabout option for 4k video and photographs right now even though the AX100 is an old model by today's standards. I might just pass on the G7. Furthermore I believe my new megabucks A7RII might just get left behind more often than not when I go out shooting.

Please feel free to suggest otherwise.
John McCully is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series