GH3 stops recording at 11 mins 30 seconds issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 15th, 2016, 12:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GH3 stops recording at 11 mins 30 seconds issue

Hi all,

I'd really appreciate some help on this problem.

I shoot wedding films and over the course of the past 6 months both my GH3 cameras have several times stopped recording exactly at 11 mins 30 seconds when the actual record time should have been for over 30 mins, resulting in me losing clients footage, which is a disaster.

This is obviously an internal camera issue as the GH3 closes out and creates a new file when you continously record for over 11 mins 30 seconds. The camera also looks like it is recording with the red light flashing so there's no way you can tell until you look at the footage.

This issue has happened on both my GH3 cameras, as I have two of them, one is v1.1 and the other is v1.2 firmware. So its not a firmware issue.

I had bought new SD cards thinking that this must be the problem and it just did it again on a new Sony 94MB/s SD card.

The scary thing is that this issue only happens occasionally so its very difficult to test for.

Has anyone had this problem or knows a fix??

Thanks
Richard
Richard Tetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2016, 02:26 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: GH3 stops recording at 11 mins 30 seconds issue

Sounds like the NEX overheating issues. The cameras are meant to film for 29-30mins but they stop recording at random times and throw up a overheating error for a split second and stop.

Does the GH3 do this as well ?? have you sat there until it stops recording and viewed the screen to see what it says ?
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2016, 02:31 AM   #3
Trustee

Any chance it's an edit problem? That the footage is on the card, you just don't know how to see it?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2016, 06:11 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If it happens on both of your camera's something else must be going on, you can also exclude overheating because that doesn't happen on a gh3.
Are the files actually missing on the card? So there is only one 4,1gb file present that holds the 11min30sec recording but no sign of a second and 3th file that are common for 30 min recordings?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2016, 06:22 AM   #5
Trustee

I found my gh3 to be very bugg and could play up on me. Thankfully I've now retired it very recently, but certain cards including a Sony SD card were susceptible to stop recordings. I had better luck with sandisk extreme and Transcend cards. However a full format was always necessarily every few months and of course formatting between shots internally in the camera. Sound process for any camera.

However when it stopped recording, there was no recording indicator on the screen. It was quite clear the camera had stopped recording. If the camera appears to show it is recording, but is not; this suggests a more serious issue. You could try resetting the camera and doing a full format of the SD cards, plus try recording in avchd and see if that is more reliable. Ultimately upgrading to a gh4 might be your only solution, though expensive.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2016, 06:35 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Up until now (knocks on wood) my gh3 has been performing without a issue, always used sandisc cards in it.

While I can understand that there are gh3's that might have stability issues it's very unlikely that it's a cameraproblem if one owner who has two gh3 experience exactly the same recording problem on both of them, my guess is it's the cards. I also would recommend only Sandisc cards.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series