Grading Cinelike D from the G7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 21st, 2016, 10:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Grading Cinelike D from the G7

What are you using to get the best colors out of the G7?
Are you using any LUT as starting point before grading ?
Do you have the feeling the Cinelike D setting is that much better than Natural?
Thanks
Larry
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2016, 06:24 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Grading Cinelike D from the G7

Yes Larry use cine like then punch everything down, use fast color corrector to white balance, then put on film convert preset for cine like and play around, excellent. Or i have a great simple lut in vision tech that gives it a pop without using anything else. steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2016, 07:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Steve,
Thanks for your answer.
I have a decent monitor and I think I do know how to use my G7.
I simply can't see how better the Cinelike D is!
Sure, there might be a tiny bit of a better DR but the colors are really not that great particularly the skin tones. Using Standards or Natural yield better results.
I posted my original post just to see if others would see what I'm seeing, but I guess not! You do think Cinelike D is better!
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2016, 06:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have played around with most of the profiles. I shot the same scenes in the different profiles, and after analyzing and grading the footage I thought that "Natural" gave me the best look after grading. My next choice would be "Standard". Cine D gives a bit wider dynamic range, but as was noted, the skin tones were off in my opinion.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 02:02 PM   #5
Major Player

Kevin,
I came to the same conclusion and I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I think that Cinelike D profile is just an attempt from Panasonic to make us believe we're holding a film camera in our hands. It's a decent cam, but it's a 8 bits 420 cam and the footage simply can't be pushed to much in any direction. Yes, Natural and Standard are indeed the best settings, from my experience.
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series