Science Museum at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 27th, 2016, 06:50 AM   #1
Trustee

Science Museum

This makes use of many of the features of the GX85 - inconspicuousness, handheld stability, small and fast lenses, low light prowess, fast focus, dof tricks, touch-screen focus pull, in-camera audio.

Lumix 25mm f1.7 and 12-32mm lenses.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 07:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Science Museum

The gx85 has indeed many advantages but also some serious limitations that you need to be aware off, the onboard audio is pretty bad, it's usable if you don't have another choice but for any more serious use you are looking a lot of post work to take out the noise in the background. Also shooting in HD is not recommended if you shoot with a wideangle lens, the aliasing can be so bad it will ruin your shots, otherwise 4K is the only option to get a better IQ, though you will loose any possibility for slow motion. The ibis is also great but you will get jerky motion when you pan so you need to be careful with movement. Nonetheless it's the preferred camera choice for any ninja.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 07:47 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
The gx85 has indeed many advantages but also some serious limitations that you need to be aware off, the onboard audio is pretty bad, it's usable if you don't have another choice but for any more serious use you are looking a lot of post work to take out the noise in the background. Also shooting in HD is not recommended if you shoot with a wideangle lens, the aliasing can be so bad it will ruin your shots, otherwise 4K is the only option to get a better IQ, though you will loose any possibility for slow motion. The ibis is also great but you will get jerky motion when you pan so you need to be careful with movement. Nonetheless it's the preferred camera choice for any ninja.
I am not sure if this was addressed to me (it does say "you" not "we" or "everyone"), or what its relevance is to the video I posted. That video was shot in 4K, not HD, there is no panning or jerky motion, and the on-board audio seems to do fine in this setting (given the natural ambient noise floor). Indeed, why would anyone use jerky motion or shoot in HD rather than 4K (aside from slo-mo) or not be careful in panning using any camera? You could just as well have posted this statement in any thread, including your own. I don't take issue with what you say, or doubt your experience, but was this mistakenly placed here? Btw, you should be aware that you shouldn't use the camera in the rain either :).

One of the points of posting videos is that people cam make their own judgements and statements about what is good or bad about the camera based on what they actually see and hear.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 08:17 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You mentioned that the onboard audio was a feature, not sure if you meant positive or negative, I was just pointing out that the onboard sound is the worst of any camera I ever had. It's usable but it's the weakest "feature" of this camera, The jerky motion I was referring to is the jarring effect you can get when panning when the ibis kicks in, that happens in HD and 4K, again something to be aware off as it can ruin a shot. It might not matter to you but I just wanted to inform others that it can be a problem. The HD issue I mentioned was maybe not directly relevant to your video but since you where pointing out the camera's advantages I just added that shooting in 4K is a necessity if you want good looking video with wide angle lenses, nothing wrong in adding some info for people who might be interested about the camera unless that was not your intention in the first place? Or did you only want feedback about your film, or don't you want any reaction at all? (With "you" I mean Mark Rosenzweig, just to make that clear)

Edit: sorry for taking the effort to respond to your post, I always welcome any kind of feedback to my films, even if it is not the feedback I was expecting because I find any comment, positive or negative, about either my work or camera's or techniques used a worthwhile discussion to have, I actually thought you might be happy to get more responses to your films, something that has become rare on this forum when posting work. But anyways, just keep m coming, I will make sure next time I won't mistakenly place any non relevant comments.

Last edited by Noa Put; July 27th, 2016 at 09:30 AM.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 09:34 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
You mentioned that the onboard audio was a feature, not sure if you meant positive or negative, I was just pointing out that the onboard sound is the worst of any camera I ever had. It's usable but it's the weakest "feature" of this camera, The jerky motion I was referring to is the jarring effect you can get when panning when the ibis kicks in, that happens in HD and 4K, again something to be aware off as it can ruin a shot. It might not matter to you but I just wanted to inform others that it can be a problem. The HD issue I mentioned was maybe not directly relevant to your video but since you where pointing out the camera's advantages I just added that shooting in 4K is a necessity if you want good looking video with wide angle lenses, nothing wrong in adding some info for people who might be interested about the camera unless that was not your intention in the first place? Or did you only want feedback about your film?

Edit: sorry for taking the effort to respond to your post, I always welcome any kind of feedback to my films, even if it is not the feedback I was expecting because I find any comment, positive or negative, about either my work or camera's or techniques used a worthwhile discussion to have, I actually thought you might be happy to get more responses to your films, something that has become rare on this forum when posting work. But anyways, just keep m coming, I will make sure next time I won't mistakenly place any non relevant comments.
No, no don't apologize! Like you I appreciate any info and any efforts to post; I was just surprised that it seemed aimed at me for some reason, rather than a general statement, since it was not especially relevant to either me or the video. And I am also sure that you appreciate the efforts to make videos and post them (which as you know is a lot harder than posting comments!).

As I said I agree with your reflections on the camera limitations (like you, I have a bunch of cameras so I don't have to be defensive about one), and my video was very much a demonstration of what (I think) the GX85 can do especially well - including the audio in the right circumstances.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series