Comparison of GX85 In-camera and Zoom H1 + Deadcat Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 21st, 2016, 03:55 PM   #1
Trustee

Comparison of GX85 In-camera and Zoom H1 + Deadcat Audio

At an outdoors concert recital microphone placement does not matter, as the outdoor sound system is designed to spread sound all around. The issues are rather wind noise, gain control - suppressing lows and highs (natural dynamics), and audio quality - 128 kbps vs. 1560 kbps and 24 bits.

The first excerpt clip in the video uses the in-camera audio track. The second, identical clip, uses the H1 track.

The difference is astonishing. Note: the overall level of the H1 sound track is lower; that is because it contains the full dynamics of the sound. The peak is at -1.0 Db, so you get the full dynamic range.

Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2016, 12:26 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Comparison of GX85 In-camera and Zoom H1 + Deadcat Audio

The problem with wind applies to any camera when you use their onboard audio only, the main problem of the gx80, besides it's obvious issues in the quality of it's audiorecording, is when you use it in quieter surroundings because then you can hear that grinding background noise coming through.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2016, 09:55 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
The problem with wind applies to any camera when you use their onboard audio only, the main problem of the gx80, besides it's obvious issues in the quality of it's audiorecording, is when you use it in quieter surroundings because then you can hear that grinding background noise coming through.
I agree. But the problem of the mics picking up the IBIS sounds is made worse by the use of non-defeatable AGC - which ups the gain when in "quiet" surroundings thus increasing the level of noise you hear. If AGC could be turned off, this problem would be much less. An AGC symptom (if this is correct) is that when loud sounds occur, the noise level dips, which is even worse.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 10:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I never use the gx80 for any critical audio recording, for that purpose I use external recorders, if I need to use onboard audio I use my gh4 with a mike on top, in case I"m shooting with my gx80 and something unexpected happens I do use the camera's audio if I have no other choice and then I consider it usable, at least better then no audio.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2016, 03:40 PM   #5
Trustee

Just for fun, illustrating the use of a separate audio track:

This was the intro to the night of Italian opera!
Old August 24th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #6
Trustee

And the real video: Six Italian Arias

Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series