Vlog-L + Panasonic REC709 LUT at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:36 AM   #1
Trustee

Vlog-L + Panasonic REC709 LUT

These are the colors you get when you shoot with Vlog-L and apply the official Panasonic REC709 LUT. This was shot in ProRes HQ on the Shogun Inferno and the LUT was applied in Resolve with no further adjustment in color:

Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 10:37 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Vlog-L + Panasonic REC709 LUT

What lens were you using for this test footage?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 10:45 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Massengill View Post
What lens were you using for this test footage?
Lumix 100-300mm.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 02:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,

Nice test. What/where is the "official Panasonic REC709 LUT"? Is this the V709 Varicam?

Thank You.....
Old January 2nd, 2017, 02:30 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dean View Post
Hi Mark,

Nice test. What/where is the "official Panasonic REC709 LUT"? Is this the V709 Varicam?

Thank You.....
The LUT is supplied by Panasonic specifically for Vlog L for the GH4. Here is the link:

About extended function of V-Log L for DMC-GH4 | Download | Digital Camera | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global
Old January 2nd, 2017, 03:54 PM   #6
Trustee

Nice bokeh with that lens.

So the monitor on the Inferno gives you good confidence about your exposure when shooting in V-Log L? Are you also using the waveform on the camera?

Do you have a photo of your setup with the camera and Inferno for shooting out in the field?

What is your white balance procedure on a rainy day like this one in the test?

Thanks for the info and your examples.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 04:13 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank You Mark for the link.

Months ago when I installed the VLog L in the GH4, I already had some LUTs and since have downloaded and tried others, as well as, making some of my own. I didn't remember this specific LUT, because apparently I failed to scroll down the page!!!!

Thank You Again, I'll try this one out.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 05:27 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Massengill View Post
Nice bokeh with that lens.

So the monitor on the Inferno gives you good confidence about your exposure when shooting in V-Log L? Are you also using the waveform on the camera?

Do you have a photo of your setup with the camera and Inferno for shooting out in the field?

What is your white balance procedure on a rainy day like this one in the test?

Thanks for the info and your examples.
The Inferno has a waveform and zebra stripes and other exposure aids. I actually shot this video for HDR, and shot ETTR, but given the cloudy skies I decided there was not much point in rendering in HDR. I had a great deal of exposure latitude. AWB was used, as all the scenes were evenly lit and it looked accurate on the monitor (which also shows the VLog L with a Panasonic LUT).

The camera was mounted on a tripod; I handheld the Shogun, attached by an HDMI cable to the camera. I find it easier to shoot and move around this way.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 06:47 AM   #9
Trustee

Good info. Thanks for your tests and explanations!
Old January 5th, 2017, 09:24 AM   #10
Trustee

This is another example of VLOG L and the Panasonic REC709 LUT, this time in very contrasty settings (bright sun and shade), with a lot more color:

Old January 6th, 2017, 07:43 PM   #11
Trustee

In snow.

Old January 9th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #12
Trustee

I played around with vLog a year ago but gave up as I found grading it a nightmare. The LUT suggested here has been a godsend. Applied to some of that footage I shot back then and finally I have something I can work with. Look forward to trying out things further especially when the GH5 comes around and I can shoot 4:2:2 10 bit.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:31 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burkett View Post
I played around with vLog a year ago but gave up as I found grading it a nightmare. The LUT suggested here has been a godsend. Applied to some of that footage I shot back then and finally I have something I can work with. Look forward to trying out things further especially when the GH5 comes around and I can shoot 4:2:2 10 bit.
Even better, the Vlog L REC709 LUT can be applied *in camera* with the GH5, so you can see better what your video will look like in the field, at least as a start.
Old February 25th, 2017, 10:10 AM   #14
Major Player

Viewing VLC videos

Help! I can not view these video samples. I see a black or white screen with the VLC icon. I do have VLC installed on my computer and I use it.

What gives?
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:45 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
The Inferno has a waveform and zebra stripes and other exposure aids. I actually shot this video for HDR, and shot ETTR, but given the cloudy skies I decided there was not much point in rendering in HDR. I had a great deal of exposure latitude. AWB was used, as all the scenes were evenly lit and it looked accurate on the monitor (which also shows the VLog L with a Panasonic LUT).

The camera was mounted on a tripod; I handheld the Shogun, attached by an HDMI cable to the camera. I find it easier to shoot and move around this way.
Mark - unlike with S-log, with V-log L you should never ETTR. Use WFM and pay special attention that you never ever touch the 80 IRE or you will clip whites in an unrecoverable way. You should instead expose to Middle Gray, with those target values:

0% reflectance (black): 7.3 IRE
18% reflectance (middle gray): 42 IRE
90% reflectance (white): 61 IRE
absolute clipped superwhite: 80 IRE

Piotr

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series