DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   New Panasonic GH5 Official (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/533370-new-panasonic-gh5-official.html)

Matt Brady February 17th, 2017 02:25 AM

Re: New Panasonic GH5 Official

Bring it on.

The new King is on the horizon. I have ordered 3 of the super sexy beauties. The new features will bring an extra dimension to shooting weddings.

Personally I love the form factor, the 4k (reframing in post), and the most anticipated feature for me is the IBIS. I will be able to use my Voigtlander lenses handheld!!!

I also got a fantastic trade in deal on my gh4's.

The King is dead, long live the King.

Danilo Del Tufo February 17th, 2017 08:13 AM

Philip Lipetz February 17th, 2017 04:10 PM

Steve Bleasdale February 17th, 2017 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Brady (Post 1927882)
Bring it on.

The new King is on the horizon. I have ordered 3 of the super sexy beauties. The new features will bring an extra dimension to shooting weddings.

Personally I love the form factor, the 4k (reframing in post), and the most anticipated feature for me is the IBIS. I will be able to use my Voigtlander lenses handheld!!!

I also got a fantastic trade in deal on my gh4's.

The King is dead, long live the King.

All you need to do now MATT is work on your filming and editing haha. (joke)

Bryce Comer February 17th, 2017 06:21 PM

I never use constant AF but judging by this video, i may start to use it in certain situations. Looks to be greatly improved over the constant AF of the GH4 in video mode.

Noa Put February 18th, 2017 01:31 AM

They should have used the same framerate when comparing the auto-focus, not sure if it makes much difference but I do recall from working with one of camera's a few years back that 50i would give me better autofocus performance then 25p.

Danilo Del Tufo February 18th, 2017 07:23 AM

Danilo Del Tufo February 19th, 2017 04:41 AM

Bryce Comer February 19th, 2017 09:57 AM

Wacharapong Chiowanich February 19th, 2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1927925)
They should have used the same framerate when comparing the auto-focus, not sure if it makes much difference but I do recall from working with one of camera's a few years back that 50i would give me better autofocus performance then 25p.

I would make a guess right here the AF in 25p won't be the equal of that in 50p considering the way contrast detection AF works. Maybe better than the hopeless continuos AF on the GH4 but it sure won't be as good as what is shown in the clip above.

Steve Burkett February 21st, 2017 10:37 AM

Actually that auto focus in 60p is pretty good and would make things easier when I'm using the GH5 on a Gimbal. I've tended to adjust focus manually, but this could work quite well also for certain shots and be less likely to disturb the Gimbal's balancing.

I've got some big Weddings in April, so really hoping I get mine early April. As much as I love my GX80 and G80 to a certain degree, it's frustrating to lose certain features whenever I go handheld like vLog, variable shutter rate - editing a piece now where the lights weren't in line with any of the standard shutter settings and I missed the GH4's ability to fine tune it down to eliminate that flicker.

One thing that's slightly annoying is that you're not saving that much if you buy the GH5 and audio adaptor together. I'm not sure if anyone has seen some good deals on both, but really I would have hoped for a bit more than a £25 saving. In fact I've decided to hold off on the adaptor for now and wait to see if the price drops. Also, would have been nice if some companies offered the GH5 with vLog already initialised, though suppose its no hassle to grab the code and apply it myself.

Off to the BVE next week, so hope to at least get my hands on the camera at the Panasonic stand.

Wacharapong Chiowanich February 21st, 2017 07:33 PM

Steve, Saramonic has external audio solutions that can be mounted to the bottom of the camera or on top via the cold shoe. Both have XLR input(s) with 48V phantom power. The downside is they need a separate 9V battery. The model I use is the top mounted CaMixer that has one unbalanced 3.5mm jack and one mini-XLR input (adapter included).

Ron Evans February 21st, 2017 07:38 PM

The advantage of the XLR adapter is it will create 24bit 96kHz audio too for internal recording. I have pre ordered one with the GH5 and the 12-60 F2.8 to F4 lens. Can't wait till the end of March !!!

Andrew Dean February 22nd, 2017 04:33 AM

After a video shoot with the gh5 (that they haven't released yet) I had an hour to muck around with it before i went home, so i shot this here super comprehensive and all scientifical gh4/gh5 comparison. I reckon its the best hillbilly footage we've seen of the gh5 so far.

Noa Put February 22nd, 2017 05:12 AM

The GH5 looks a lot more usable in low light, also surprised at how much more noisy the footage was in 10bit.
Did you manually whitebalance both camera's and did both have the same preset settings?