DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   First Impressions of the GH5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/533372-first-impressions-gh5.html)

Ken Ross April 4th, 2017 05:59 PM

Re: First Impressions of the GH5

I'm vary happy with mine. The AF has been the biggest pleasant surprise for me. IQ is excellent, but that's not a surprise.

Simon Denny April 4th, 2017 09:49 PM

Still waiting here in Sydney, gota be soon?

Ronald Jackson April 5th, 2017 12:19 AM

Couple of things for me with mine which arrived yesterday.

First is that I CAN attach my Sigma 150-600 lens (I do wildlife) via its Metabones EF to MFT Smart Adapter.

As pointed out via YouTube vids, you attach the lens/adapter to the GH5. You hold down the little button on the Adapter while simultaneously switching the camera on. You can then zoom the lens (manually of course) without the GH5 "freezing". Then, to enable you to adjust the lens aperture via the GH5, you hold down the little button again, after which the aperture control unfreezes.
A bit of a nuisance but at least a work round until Metabones issue an appropriate firmware upgrade.

Second, again related to the big Sigma is that via shooting 4K (well UHD) 50p I can up the shutter speed to 1/100th as compared with my GH4s 1/50th at 25p. I can also wind the ISO down to ISO 100 (200 minimum on the GH4). This is sort of equivalent to a two stop ND filter on my Sigma/GH4 combi and because the Sigma does not, unlike its earlier brethren, have an internal 46mm filter slot, you're faced with either the near impossibility of getting a workable 105mm ND filter arrangement or having to stop the lens right down with the risk of diffraction issues when the sun is out bright and strong.

Ron

ps anyone want a GH4, cheapish?

Noa Put April 5th, 2017 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 1930074)
The AF has been the biggest pleasant surprise for me.

In a positive or negative way? I just saw below video and the AF seems like unusable to me.

Ron Evans April 5th, 2017 07:23 AM

Locked on as I understand it is that it stays on the subject that one focuses on when the start button is pressed. Intended to avoid things moving in front of it in this mode and it should not change ie refocus. It stays " locked on " when the camera is moved around so of course it will not refocus as one has told it to stay locked on to the intitial subject.. The shot with the car around 18mins clearly demonstrates this well or even with the reviewer moving the lens in front of his face ? Clearly does not understand locked on purpose. The autofocus is clearly complicated and would need to change based on what is required. Will find out when mine comes around the 14 April.

Steve Burkett April 5th, 2017 07:56 AM

My biggest negative of the GH5 is that I have only 1 of this camera.

Okay so it's not perfect. Focus is improved in 4K, more so when shooting 50p, but not reliable for essential shots - has its quirks.

Dynamic range is improved, though I feel this more as I've been favouring my GX80 and G80 in recent months over my GH4 due to the usefulness of 5 axis IS and compared to these cameras, the image is sooo much better - far less clipped highlights and more detail in shadow. It's like taking all thats good with the G80/GX80 and matching it with the GH4, plus adding a whole lot more.

The joystick is very useful for adjusting the focus area and for menu navigation.

I find the screen less easy to monitor focus than on the GH4 - perhaps its a setting thing, but the screen image feels softer than on the GH4.

4K detail seems to my eye greater than on the GH4. Colour is improved and matches more with the GX80/G80.

Dual card slot is very useful. As is 50p 4K and between the 2 are worth the upgrade alone. I haven't tested 10 bit. I hear some editing applications struggle with it and with a busy workload and a PC on its last legs, now isn't the time to play with it. Hopefully will get to experiment in May with it.

Menu takes some getting use to, though having a custom menu page with my most used items is very helpful.

Camera feels heavy but well balanced in my hands.

Battery life has taken a tumble. Quite a change from the GH4. The battery grip feels more like a must have now.

Auto ISO is proving very useful. I use to have a custom setting for automatic for run n gun, but aperture changes were a real pain and I found myself using aperture priority in such cases. Now I can simply have it on manual and if I do feel the need to have the camera adjust exposure automatically, I can simply switch ISO to manual. Does a reasonable job too.

ISO 100 which perhaps limits dynamic range a little, is also very welcome for helping limit diffraction from high apertures when I don't have an ND to hand. Though it better serves me in allowing me to use a lower aperture and thus more shallow depth of field when outdoors and my ND filter is stopped down as far as it can go.

So to conclude, this camera has been one of my best ever purchases. Hard to think that barely 6 years ago, I was putting up with the soft, mushy, moire mess that was the Canon 60D video quality. Just shows how far technology can grow in such a short space of time.

Ronald Jackson April 5th, 2017 08:36 AM

I had a look at the battery grip today, those for my GH4s won't fit. £309 they want, bugger that!
Will have to wait and/or buy more batteries.

Ron

Noa Put April 5th, 2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1930096)

the image is sooo much better - far less clipped highlights and more detail in shadow. It's like taking all thats good with the G80/GX80 and matching it with the GH4, plus adding a whole lot more.

You mean there is a big difference in IQ between the gh5 and g80/80? Does it notice when you combine images?

Steve Burkett April 5th, 2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1930103)
You mean there is a big difference in IQ between the gh5 and g80/80? Does it notice when you combine images?

Well I'm only just starting to edit the material I shot with my 1st Wedding. We are talking more dynamic range and to my eyes some clearer detail. However detail can vary depending on what lens I am using and dynamic range will show up more in areas of high contrast. It was telling when I filmed Bridal Preps recently where I switched my 25mm lens from filming a scene with a GX80 to the GH5 that the Highlights weren't burnt out and there was more detail in the shadows. Less contrasty image with the GH5, despite both having contrast turned down in the custom profile.

As colour is much the same, arguably I can match the GH5 better with the G80 than with the GH4. I think its more important to match colour than dynamic range; clients will less likely to pick up on the latter. The GH4 had better dynamic range than my GX80 and G80; I could see that as soon as I began using the GX80, though obviously favoured the smaller cameras for their IS.

To be honest, though I can tell the difference, I don't think my clients will pick up on it once I've done a little grading. That said, come extreme low light filming and my cameras are not all equal to the task and why I'd prefer to have another GH5 to offset this. My GX80 and G80 seem to do better than the GH4's but there's more detail in the GH4 shadows than the other 2 cameras. I think my GH5 will do better, though yet to review the low light footage I have shot so far, to give a proper evaluation.

Ron Evans April 5th, 2017 10:59 AM

This is an interesting video explaining the autofocus .

Simon Denny April 6th, 2017 05:10 AM

Hey Steve, what cards are you using in the GH5?

Steve Burkett April 6th, 2017 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Denny (Post 1930154)
Hey Steve, what cards are you using in the GH5?

Same cards I used on my GH4/GX80/G80, Transcend. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-6...sd%2Bcard&th=1

Ken Ross April 6th, 2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1930090)
In a positive or negative way? I just saw below video and the AF seems like unusable to me.

https://youtu.be/PE9SbpVnrss

In a very positive way. I agree with almost all of what Steve said. A gem of a camera. As for AF, I and other owners have conducted tests and results are hugely different from Max's. I suspect he got a bad body. I can't duplicate his issues no matter what I do.

So as to prove my point, here are a variety of videos I shot, trying to duplicate what Max did, that prove how different his GH5 is from mine. The last one is not mine. I'm not saying the GH5's AF is perfect, and doesn't a hunt a bit from time to time, my A6300 did too and often wouldn't even focus on the subject, but it's a whole lot better than what Max showed.

The camera is getting a very bad rap from one review that may well be from a defective camera. It's too bad.

Steve Burkett April 6th, 2017 11:54 AM

No camera is perfect and free from flaws and Panasonic has always show some in low light, auto focus and colour. That said, the GH5 has improved in all of them, maybe not to the standards of others, but when combined with Panasonic's strengths, reliability, tonnes of features and image detail, it stands above other DSLR's.

Whilst the Canon DPAF is legendary, I find some tend to rely on it too much to their detriment, and whilst it hunts less, it doesn't always lock on correctly, judging by some videos I have seen. A scenario I also see played out in some examples of GH5 auto focus and why I am always cautious in using it for key moments.

Understandably those using Canon DSLR's have little choice but to rely on auto focus, as that useful manual focusing aid of focus peaking is conspicuous by its absence, even amongst the very expensive models; whereas my GX80 costing little over £500 has it. I'd take features that help me better manual focus over a good AF as I find even the best AF can't predict what I want in focus at any given moment.

As I said, there's no perfect camera, but the GH5 has delivered on all my expectations that I had for it. I have quite a tough Wedding season ahead of me, and I feel more confident knowing I have this camera working for me.

Ron Evans April 6th, 2017 12:02 PM

PhotoJoseph has posted this
worth watching I think.He has another that also shows some parameters that do not work.

Ken Ross April 6th, 2017 02:19 PM

I don't know how many videos it will take before Max acknowledges, at least the possibility, he got a bad unit. Too many good videos out there with good AF. Here's Peter Gregg who did his own testing. No issues here either. Either way the GH5 will take a hit from Max's video. Too bad:

Simon Denny April 6th, 2017 03:11 PM

Steve or anyone here, I'm wondering if I can use the same cards I use in my Sony A7S: SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB 95MB/s in the GH5.
Still waiting on the GH5 to show up here in Sydney.

Noa Put April 6th, 2017 04:09 PM

I can record raw footage on my black magic pocket camera using the card you mention so I"m sure it's fast enough for the current bitrates of the gh5.

Noa Put April 7th, 2017 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1930176)
PhotoJoseph has posted this

It appears that PhotoJoseph is sponsored by panasonic but I guess we will find out soon if he gets to together with Max:

Noa Put April 7th, 2017 02:45 AM

I will believe the autofocus has improved on the GH5 but looking at below comparison video the a6500 kicks the gh5 all over the place, it's actually painful to watch. The sony makes it look oh so simple, just put the focusing system at standard and it just works while on the panasonic you seem need a engineers degree to figure out the settings and it still doesn't work. I still looks like there was a reason why Panasonic didn't put any emphasis on the improved autofocus and now is using panasonic ambassadors to save their reputation. Max has a received a second gh5 unit so we might find out soon enough if he a) has a defective unit or b) uses wrong settings or c) will be proven right.

Ron Evans April 7th, 2017 06:57 AM

Hopefully I will have my GH5 next week and can check myself a few things. Auto focus and the issue of audio being delayed at the start of record. In view of the several autofocus example above I think Max either has a bad unit or continues to set it up incorrectly . None of these videos just use the standard auto focus either, always the customs settings.
I believe PhotoJoseph was also recording internally as he gave instructions on HDMI output settings so that he could record 60P internally and 30P externally as his recorder could not record UHD60P. So yes he was recording internally as well as externally.

EDIT: Just read that he did only record externally and I must have mistaken his HDMI settiing incorrectly. We will see what else emerges. Still I will check myself next week !!!

Ron Evans April 7th, 2017 08:31 AM

Having read the manual several times now waiting for my GH5 to turn up there are so many parameters that can be set that I am beginning to think Panasonic should have provided presets in the movie mode that completely control all settings. Also provided a lot more explaining how to set up.

This will be my first Panasonic bought for UHD60P only. I normally shoot 3 or 4 camera multicam all with Sony video cameras and they are all in manual focus !! However 3 of them will be set with touch focus as needed and that is how I will use the GH5 too. So for me hunting is not an issue as the GH5 will be in manual focus but getting it to lock on touch focus will be. We will see hopefully next week.

Ken Ross April 7th, 2017 09:26 AM

It just amazes me that people will ignore all the evidence of good GH5 CAF and focus solely on Max's test. I posted 4 examples of good GH5 CAF, 2 of which mirror what he did and it couldn't be more obvious my results were 180 from his. I also did a candid mall video, shown below, because I've shot in this same mall with my A6300 and it often failed, focusing on the background and ignoring the subject or simply not holding the subject when it did focus. Although there was a bit of hunt in a couple of clips, there was nothing like the outright failures I have gotten with my A6300.

For those that have any interest in objectivity, all I used in the 4 videos I've posted, was central area focusing with all other AF settings at default. I never bothered with speed or responsiveness. I think some are making this more complicated than it needs to be.

But hey, people will believe what they want to believe. It's fascinating to see.

Noa Put April 7th, 2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1930224)
I believe PhotoJoseph was also recording internally as he gave instructions on HDMI output settings so that he could record 60P internally and 30P externally as his recorder could not record UHD60P. So yes he was recording internally as well as externally.

To be honest, I watched PhotoJoseph's video and the autofocus is plain unusable, there is a constant hunting going back and forth or missing focus. I might have used it if it was good and only in situations where I can reshoot but how it looks no, no thanks, not for me.

Noa Put April 7th, 2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 1930326)

But hey, people will believe what they want to believe. It's fascinating to see.

I just checked the first shots of the film you posted and all I see is a pulsating focus, just check the background and that might be ok for you but would be unacceptable to me.

Ken Ross April 7th, 2017 09:55 AM

Noa, I used CAF. If I had done that with the A6300 I would have gotten similar results or, more likely, the A6300 would have ignored the subject and focused on the sign as has often happened to me. With that said, most people would focus on the subject and not the background. The subject was fine.

However in reality, most of us don't use CAF with any camera of this ilk. In a shot like that, if I was doing it 'for real', I would have used lock on AF and would have entirely eliminated the hunt. Totally. If not using MF, that's how I would have shot that scene. But that wasn't my intent for this or any of these tests.

My point in the video was a) to show how much better the results were than Max (no comparison, his were a total blurry mess) and b) to see what the worst case scenario was using CAF.

Noa Put April 7th, 2017 10:02 AM

I"ll have to see it myself once I get my gh5, but it's not a feature I am looking forward to unless it proves to be spot on with tracking a subject that walks towards me, that's the only reason I would use it, if it is any good.

Ken Ross April 7th, 2017 11:25 AM

Do you often shoot someone walking towards you?

Steve Burkett April 7th, 2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 1930338)
Do you often shoot someone walking towards you?

Only if they're threatening me. :)

Noa Put April 7th, 2017 12:09 PM

Yes, at every wedding that I shoot, the most critical moment is when the bride and others walk towards the altar where I am standing.

Ron Evans April 7th, 2017 01:58 PM

Just picked up my GH5 this afternoon so have only just had a quick look at it. Heavier than I though as this is the first time for me moving from video camcorders. It is about the same weight as my FDR-AX53 I think. Did a quick auto focus check. With Custom AF " OFF " continuous ON , the focus moves a little slower than the AX53 but gets there and changes just fine from real closeup to about 15 feet away in about the same time as the AX53. Playing with the custom settings I can get all the same issues that have been reported !!!

Over the weekend I will shoot some comparitive video against the FDR-AX1 in UHD 60P , the only reason I got this camera. Will test auto focus of both too as I know the Sony is not good as it tends to decide what it want in focus !!!

Ken Ross April 7th, 2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1930347)
Just picked up my GH5 this afternoon so have only just had a quick look at it. Heavier than I though as this is the first time for me moving from video camcorders. It is about the same weight as my FDR-AX53 I think. Did a quick auto focus check. With Custom AF " OFF " continuous ON , the focus moves a little slower than the AX53 but gets there and changes just fine from real closeup to about 15 feet away in about the same time as the AX53. Playing with the custom settings I can get all the same issues that have been reported !!!

Over the weekend I will shoot some comparitive video against the FDR-AX1 in UHD 60P , the only reason I got this camera. Will test auto focus of both too as I know the Sony is not good as it tends to decide what it want in focus !!!

Ron, I think the more you stay away from the custom speed & sensitivity the better. I'm getting the best overall results by just using the central area focus. If your subject isn't in motion, lock on AF is best.

Paul Cascio April 7th, 2017 03:13 PM

I'm far from an expert, but one thing I noticed about that video is the deep depth of field, likely the result of a small aperture, Combine that with lots of people moving within the focus area and it's no wonder there's hunting going on. These are shots that IMO call for manual focusing.

Ron Evans April 7th, 2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 1930350)
Ron, I think the more you stay away from the custom speed & sensitivity the better. I'm getting the best overall results by just using the central area focus. If your subject isn't in motion, lock on AF is best.

Yes, in my application I will actually always be in manual focus anyway. Though would always like to set with touch focus. I haven't yet played with all the focus controls but agree that with Custom off it behaves much like any camcorder I have, just a little slower than some of the Sony's but able to direct the focus point rather than have the camcorder decide what it wants to focus on !!! I like the peakiing that I am used to as well as zebra. As mentioned by at least one other on the DVX forum I would like to see all the parameters while it is in record. Something most camcorders do even if some parameters are in auto and others in manual.

Lots to play with and will take some time to full understand.

Ken Ross April 7th, 2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio (Post 1930351)
I'm far from an expert, but one thing I noticed about that video is the deep depth of field, likely the result of a small aperture, Combine that with lots of people moving within the focus area and it's no wonder there's hunting going on. These are shots that IMO call for manual focusing.

Paul, if I had been shooting that video for real, instead of testing the limits of CAF, I could have easily have chosen either MF or AF lock. Both would have done the job nicely, without a hint of hunting.

Oleg Kalyan April 8th, 2017 02:44 AM

Hi everybody, so far great impressions on 10 bit Vlog colorimetry, quite flexible.

Steven Schuldt April 8th, 2017 02:51 PM

Can you share your 10bit video settings? Would like to see if there is anything quirky about mine that might be causing the compression artifacts I'm seeing in FCP. Thanks!

Chad Whelan April 9th, 2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1929557)
Well to my utter surprise, I got mine delivered literally an hour before I was heading off to a Wedding yesterday in Essex. Mind it was a close call. I got the call Thursday at 7pm to take payment. Asked for an AM next day service and then the delivery van broke down Friday first thing, so was advised of some delay. A frantic call to the delivery firm and they were kind to make me first visit of the day once they were running.

If I made one of those awful unboxing videos, it would have lasted 30 seconds. Long enough to confirm all was there before it was packed with my gear. Started using it as soon as I arrived for the Wedding. Couldn't wait. :)

First impressions. Love having auto ISO with manual (finally), love 4K at 50p which I used for the Brides entrance, confetti, reception entrance and first dance. Definitely smoother auto focusing when in 50p. Much heavier to hold. Menus took some time to get use to. Literally finding my preferred settings on the fly, though my experiences with the GH4 and GX80 helped there.
The new custom menu is great, laying down my most used menu items in 1 place. Battery drains faster than the GH4, but that's to be expected.

And no crop. Much improved on the GH4. I'm now travelling to Ireland for another Wedding today and then will spend a few days visiting, so hope to become more familiar with it and have a tonne of footage by the time I return. However yesterday was a great start. Bit more a baptism by fire than I had with the GH4, but it held up well.

Steve - did you find out why your lcd looked soft? Compared to the gh4 I agree completely that it looks softer, hoping that was just a setting I have not played with yet. Anyone else feel the same?

Steve Burkett April 10th, 2017 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Whelan (Post 1930427)
Steve - did you find out why your lcd looked soft? Compared to the gh4 I agree completely that it looks softer, hoping that was just a setting I have not played with yet. Anyone else feel the same?

I think its just how the LCD is. Perhaps as I have sharpness turned down on the image, its better reflecting that. I shall have another look in the settings and see if there's something I can do to beef the display up a bit.

Oleg Kalyan April 11th, 2017 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Schuldt (Post 1930398)
Can you share your 10bit video settings? Would like to see if there is anything quirky about mine that might be causing the compression artifacts I'm seeing in FCP. Thanks!

Steven, Hi.
I had a Slog setting default, and converted it to Prores 444, no compression artefacts, which I noticed also converting to 422.