DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   First Impressions of the GH5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/533372-first-impressions-gh5.html)

Oleg Kalyan April 11th, 2017 11:57 PM

Re: First Impressions of the GH5

The Phone, short GH5. 10 and 8 bit scenes included.

also in youtube

Chad Whelan April 12th, 2017 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1930480)
I think its just how the LCD is. Perhaps as I have sharpness turned down on the image, its better reflecting that. I shall have another look in the settings and see if there's something I can do to beef the display up a bit.

I was told the monitor on the gh4 shows more aliasing so maybe that was actually helping with the focusing. I have found doing the following definitely helps:

lowering the contrast all the way down on the monitor and also lowering the brightness by one or 2 clicks. I have also set the monitor luminance to 1, the brightest instead of auto. Seems to definitely help to me anyway.

Ugo Merlini April 15th, 2017 03:11 AM

Hi,

I'm going to buy this camera (probably) replacing my old hv30. As i'm going in the new world my choice is actually the bundle kit with leica lens.

my question is if the gh5 is suitable for animal / nature "hunting" like delphins, whales or in general fast scenes (many years ago I was in namibia and remained very impressed by a lions start run).

thanks

PS: will you so brave to put the gh5 out of the sailboat to get stunnig images?

Noa Put April 15th, 2017 04:33 PM

Max Yuryev just uploaded his video where he together with PhotoJoseph did some extensive testing on the GH5 autofocus capabilities and what I see is still borderline usable, it could work in repeatable shots but I never would use it for shots where you only get one chance to get it right, like with every wedding I shoot. It's clear the autofocus has been improved over the GH4 so I see that as something positive but for me it unfortunately would not be usable.

Ron Evans April 15th, 2017 05:26 PM

I have had my GH5 for a week now. First thing I did was compare autofocus to my Sony camcorders and to me it performs much the same with Custom OFF as they discovered. Just slightly slower but not noticeable. Got confused by the same things the camcorders do so no surprise. The GH5 has the advantage of specifying the area that it will look at to auto focus on and that area can be moved around with the joystick right next to your thumb. Can also be jogged into to resetting what it wants to focus on by pressing the shutter button as Max said. I will not use continuous auto focus in my use so interesting but not something of great importance to my application. I also find the WiFi app really good.

Noa Put April 16th, 2017 03:06 AM

Now we know what to expect from the autofocus it's time to move on, I for one am most exited about it's ability to preset 3 focuspoints and then to do controlled focus pulls by tapping the corresponding numbers on screen. I see this as very valuable while covering a ceremony from a fixed location, I can now preset focus on the readers at the lectern, the priest at his altar and the position where the couple is standing for the vows and while panning between them nail my focus every single time with a perfect repeatable focus transition. Or just use it to perform a perfect rack focus between objects.

Ron Evans April 16th, 2017 06:18 AM

Must be careful if you are using one of the zooms not to zoom after setting the points. The zooms are not farfocal and the settings will be lost if you zoom. Just pan to set the points and it should work fine. Or if you shoot 4K and they are all in the full wide shot it works great.

Noa Put April 16th, 2017 07:20 AM

Yeah I know, focal length can't change once it's set but still a highly usable feature.

Mark Rosenzweig April 16th, 2017 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1930654)
Yeah I know, focal length can't change once it's set but still a highly usable feature.

Focus shifts do not look so great if there is focus breathing (small shift in perspective when the focus changes). Has anyone checked how bad this is on any of the (still) photography lenses (Lumix and others) used on mft cameras?

Noa Put April 16th, 2017 04:42 PM

That's a limitation of the lens, not the camera, I don't mind the breathing as long as I can nail focus.

Ken Ross April 16th, 2017 05:20 PM

GH5- 4K60p

We spent part of the afternoon yesterday at a park not far from us. Here I use 4K60p as well as AF, no MF used at all. In terms of AF, I used both CAF as well as focus lock. You can judge the AF performance for yourself. In terms of profiles, I used Cinelike D for the most part with a couple of clips in Standard mode. This is real world testing.

Tom Mussatto April 16th, 2017 05:34 PM

Ken, can you tell me what shutter speed you used for this video?

Ken Ross April 16th, 2017 08:04 PM

Tom, some shots were at 1/60th such as the waterfall, but others (I had no ND filter with me) were shot at higher speeds since there was more light.

Tom Mussatto April 16th, 2017 08:49 PM

Thanks Ken. I was hoping that was the case. Nice job.

Ronald Jackson April 16th, 2017 11:13 PM

YouTube converts my 4K (UHD) 50p uploads to 1080 50p. Same for all?
4K (UHD) 25p off my GH4 no problems.

Ron

Phil Lee April 17th, 2017 09:21 AM

Hi

I've uploaded 4K/50P MOV files from the GH5 and that's appeared as 4K 50P on YouTube no problem, note that it takes a while before the 4K footage appears, have you checked again?

Regards

Phil

Ken Ross April 17th, 2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson (Post 1930688)
YouTube converts my 4K (UHD) 50p uploads to 1080 50p. Same for all?
4K (UHD) 25p off my GH4 no problems.

Ron

Ron, my 4K60p do upload as 4K60p, but sometimes it takes awhile for the full conversion to complete. So it may linger at 1080 60p for up to a day or so before a full shift to 4K.

The other thing I've found is that a lot depends on your browser. On my 5K iMac, if I use the Safari browser, often I'll only see HD. But on the same computer, if I switch to the Chrome browser, I'll get a full 4K60p. I have no idea why this is.

Ronald Jackson April 17th, 2017 02:20 PM

Thanks Ken and Phil, will have another go. I suspect Safari might be the problem.

Ron

Dave Blackhurst April 17th, 2017 06:24 PM

I've noted a VERY odd thing.... if I try to play Ken's video on YouTube in either IE or Edge, it will ONLY allow playback at 1080p.... Chrome displays and plays (albeit with fits and stops and starts) 4K.

I guess 4K on the web is a bit problematic....

Ron Evans April 17th, 2017 07:36 PM

I think it is very dependent on the browser used to play at all and then performance is dependent on the PC and internet connection speed. Most of the time I use Firefox and that plays fine in 4K on my system which is an i7 3770K WIN 7 with 100 Mbps cable connection speed. I do not have a 4K monitor so the system has to scale to 2560x1440 too for display but is indicating 4K download from YouTube.

Wacharapong Chiowanich April 18th, 2017 04:04 AM

On mobile devices up to this date the best you can get for 4K/60p via the YouTube app is 1080/60p. Unlike 4K/30,25,24p which are still playable up to 1440/30,25,24p if both the screen and chipset allow that. On the Mac desktop OS, Chrome may be the only one that works perfectly up to 4K/60p while Firefox and Safari either cannot yet or often are unreliable in case your hardware is already up to it.

Ken Ross April 18th, 2017 01:40 PM

^ That's exactly what I've found.

Ronald Jackson April 18th, 2017 11:27 PM

Mine plays via Chrome as 4K 50p, thanks for the tip.

As mentioned above, time for Safari to follow suit.

Ron

Phil Lee April 20th, 2017 03:19 AM

Hi

New firmware as promised due on the 24 April which enables 10bit 4.2.2 in FHD and Anamorphic 4:3, with a couple of bug fixes.

The next version later in the summer enables All-I 400Mbps or 200Mbps if 1080. I suspect the delay in this is partly due to the lack of available of V60 rated SDXC cards, which should be changing in the next month or two.

As a note, if buying a new SDXC card, ignore any that don't show either V30 or V60 support (V60 are hard to find currently). Cards that do are different, it isn't just a new speed rating moniker, it also means the card has hardware/firmware changes that allows it to report to supporting cameras (the GH5 is one) things like sector sizes, so the camera paired with the card has a guaranteed minimum write speed for video. Other things go on with the card that allow it maintain a minimum speed rating regardless of it's use state.

For realtime video recording, its the minimum speed that is important, rather than any headline maximum speeds reached in lab testing conditions, and the Vnn rating guarantees a minimum speed specifically for the types of writing the card sees when real-time recording.

Regards

Phil

Mark Pleasant April 20th, 2017 09:48 AM

It looks like the GH5's DMW-XLR1 audio adapter allows mic input one to be sent to input 2 as well. Very nice, pretty standard but, as far as I can tell, the level for input 2 is controlled by input 1. So I can't set the level of input 2 a little different than input 1 which is something I like to do to avoid any possible "over-driven" situations which may arise. Can anyone confirm this? Did I miss something?
Thanks!

Ron Evans April 20th, 2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Pleasant (Post 1930891)
It looks like the GH5's DMW-XLR1 audio adapter allows mic input one to be sent to input 2 as well. Very nice, pretty standard but, as far as I can tell, the level for input 2 is controlled by input 1. So I can't set the level of input 2 a little different than input 1 which is something I like to do to avoid any possible "over-driven" situations which may arise. Can anyone confirm this? Did I miss something?
Thanks!

Yes a bit of a disappointment for me too. On my Sony's I use one mic on input 1 and feed to both Channel 1 and Channel 2. Have Channel 1 ALC and Channel 2 manual. This not possible with the XLR unit for the GH5. Also it is not possible to have one input with ALC and the other manual even with separate inputs. ALC is either On or OFF for both as far as I can figure out. Also it is not possible to feed one mic to both channels and have one channel set lower than the other, That is a real issue I think. Unless I am missing something I cannot get mine to do anything other than separate inputs on manual, feed one mic to both channels controlled by input 1 or set ALC which will then control both channels. Same size as the Sony unit for my NX30U but nowhere near as comprehensive control.

Mark Pleasant April 21st, 2017 07:56 AM

Bit of a pain. Not a deal-killer but they should of thought about this a bit more.

Also the new flavor of camera raw .rw2 files are going to make me have to go to CC Adobe Photoshop unless they decide to upgrade camera raw for CS 6 Photoshop...now that's a real pain!!

Alan Craven April 23rd, 2017 12:11 AM

The standalone Adobe DNG convertor should enable you to convert the .rw2 files to .dng, which Photoshop CS6 can handle.

Mark Pleasant April 23rd, 2017 04:53 PM

Yes Alan, I was hoping that when I downloaded and tried it the other day but it didn't work for me I'm sorry to say.