focus tips ... G7 on crane M gymbal at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old January 7th, 2017, 05:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

focus tips ... G7 on crane M gymbal

Testing my Lumix G7 on the Crane M ... everything seems to be very nice, however, I used to always focus manually (video mode), but now I can NOT with the G7 on the gymbal .... any advice or tip on best auto focus modes with this set up will be greatly appreciated (AFF, AFC, focus area .... etc.)

Thanks in advance ... Kind Regards
Old January 7th, 2017, 08:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: focus tips ... G7 on crane M gymbal

I'm looking to buy the same gimbal and I think if you use a wide angle, such as a rokinon 14mm with a speedbooster, a passive one, you shouldn't have to focus too much? I have the Nikon mount and I'm playing with an older Nikkor 20, which is the equivalent of a 29mm and I don't have to focus on my stabilizer. I set the aperture on 11-- to 16, focus on infinite and it seems to be fine as everything is in focus.
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 09:37 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The two common methods are:

1. Shoot wide angle @ f4 this will create a large dof and a wide margin of error. Manual focus the subject from 3-5ft and maintain that distance.

2. Use facial tracking on the subject and be ready to lightly tap the touch screen to correct it when needed. If your camera has this capability.

Beyond that you should spend time practicing your "ninja" walk.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I shoot a lot at f2.0 with my 12mm lens, I just prefocus 3 to 5 meter in front of me and assure the subject I"m shooting stays within that range. I each time refocus by half pressing the shutter button depending on the distance I intend to keep, it's very rare I have out of focus shots in this way.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 12:10 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Two common scenarios in weddings are low light which auto focus struggles and can go haywire searching ruining the shot that's why many prefer using manually wide angle technique. These include processions/recessions in a dark church or at the reception hall where commonly lights are dimmed to almost complete darkness for entrance and first dance.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 01:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Excellent tips .... great forum ..... very appreciated !! I love my 42.5 f1.7 lens... I guess I'll have to switch to wide for gimbal use ......

Kind Regards

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series