G7 / Crane M tests at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 5th, 2017, 05:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

G7 / Crane M tests

...just testing my new combo .... works great !! ....14mm lens .... a few observations to share:

- altough balancing camera is easy, it would be better if I can mantain all my set up settings on the gymbal for using the (excelent) case supplied .... I have to disassemble the gymbal to its original position to make it fit on its case .....
- I have to learn some special way to "walk" with gymbal in hand ... vertical movement from my steps can be noticed on some shots ....
- inverted mode is nice, and less stress to hold the gymbal for longer times ....
- I'm not using (still) any post stabilization software ....
- any tip or comment would be greatly appreciated ...

Old February 6th, 2017, 09:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: G7 / Crane M tests

Nice. You might consider upgrading to one of the newer Panasonic cameras (like the GH8 or upcoming GH5) to get the combination of in camera stabilization along with a lens that can add stabilization to the lens as well. I have the GH8 and it lacks a full HDMI port, using the micro HDMI. But it does have in camera stabilization, and I can notice the difference, especially when used with a lens with stabilization.
Old February 6th, 2017, 09:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Enrique,

To avoid the vertical motion from stepping, try this....slight bend at knees, so the lower and upper leg act somewhat as a shock absorber. When your foot hits the ground, go heel first, then roll your foot to the toe. Make small steps and only lift your feet as far as necessary to avoid tripping. 'Heel-to-toe', roll the feet smoothly, bending at the knees. Stepping one foot in front of the other will help reduce the back and forth sway. Practice, practice, practice. It looks funny, feels funny, and a bit tiresome at first. When it starts to feel comfortable, you will see a marked improvement on the smoothness of your camera moves. As would make since, when moving backward, we reverse the foot roll to 'toe-to-heel'.

Avoid stepping sideways, instead, walk forward or backward (in line with the direction you want the camera to move), with the camera pointed off to either the right or left side of the body, using your spine to also twist if necessary to keep the camera pointed as desired. Avoid straight extended joints and fully retracted joints. Keeping knees, elbows, wrist, spin, hips, etc in the middle of their flexible range provide more shock absorber effect, more strength, and avoids fatigue.
Old February 6th, 2017, 03:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

A while back I saw this interesting mod.

Basically he adds a mono pod and gimbal handle to eliminate vertical movement. It reduces portability and adds weight but the pod allows you to hold a position resting against the ground.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series