Looking for a shoulder bag at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 29th, 2017, 02:31 PM   #1
Trustee

Looking for a shoulder bag

I'm after a new shoulder bag and was wondering what others are using.

I have been looking at the Think Tank Retrospective 30 and while this looks good the price is holding me back on this.

Any options out there similar however cheaper than the Retrospective 30.

My kit is a A7s and soon the GH5

Sorry if this is in the wrong fourm, couldn't find one for bags etc...
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 07:35 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Looking for a shoulder bag

Correct forum, Simon. No separate board for bags & cases because they are too often particular to a make and model of camera.

ThinkTank / MindShift is a great company with an excellent product line, but be sure to look into Tamrac as well. They have a new owner these days and appear to be on their way back in.

https://www.tamrac.com/

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 08:06 AM   #3
Trustee

I have the Retrospective 30 and its a pretty nice, unassuming bag I've used for a couple international trips. I got the blue and always joke and say it looks like a diaper bag. If I'm really trying, I can fit a FS5, A7S2, two zoom lenses and batteries/cards/mics in it. The front two pockets are actually quite large.

That being said, I think I got it for about $69 on sale a year ago. I might pay $100 again, but current MSRP is a little rich. It's a nice camera bag though.
Old March 30th, 2017, 09:24 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm also looking for a shoulder/duffle bag. I find when I'm doing event work I like a light weight bag that holds both cameras and all my accessories. You don't want to be transporting and keeping track of multiple bags.

I have a great Petrol camera bag that provides great protection but the bag by itself is like 7lbs, loaded up can approach 20lbs then throw in a tripod bag @ 15lbs, I find it difficult to carry without a cart.

I'm looking for something that has some structure otherwise it's difficult to load and unload. I might experiment with foam core to provide some rigidity without making it too heavy.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 01:57 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks guys for the info and links, the Retrospective 30 is almost $300 here....
I''m off to Japan and really need a new shoulder bag, might have to wait and see if I find anything in Tokyo at a better price.
Old April 6th, 2017, 09:40 AM   #6
Supports LPFM Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I'm also looking for a shoulder/duffle bag. I find when I'm doing event work I like a light weight bag that holds both cameras and all my accessories. You don't want to be transporting and keeping track of multiple bags.
If you're looking for a sling-style bag (ie- on one shoulder), maybe check out the Mountainsmith Descent:
Descent - Camera Bags - Shop By Product Type

Not sure it'll be big enough; maybe it will be with your smaller cameras (ie- not Canon 1dx), but I think it's fairly well thought out and well made. A 2:30 intro video:

Widely available for US$60 or so... I think the model isn't as popular as Mountainsmith had hoped.

I decided the bag was too big for my needs (I wanted a sling bag that sits on the left shoulder and holds a couple lenses, batteries, cards, snacks, etc...so I went with a Thinktank TurnStyle).

Mountainsmith also has bigger camera backpacks and bags that look pretty decent:
Mountainsmith.com - Camera Bags

I'm not associated with the company, but I figure not everyone has heard of them and I think they're worth checking out.
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Denny View Post
I'm after a new shoulder bag and was wondering what others are using.

I have been looking at the Think Tank Retrospective 30 and while this looks good the price is holding me back on this.

Any options out there similar however cheaper than the Retrospective 30.

My kit is a A7s and soon the GH5

Sorry if this is in the wrong fourm, couldn't find one for bags etc...
Hi Simon
Price wise 300 seems a fair enough, a good camera bag is a pretty long term investment.. If chosen correctly will serve you through several cameras...
If you are travelling a backpack is often a better option and here Lowepro excels.
While I was working as a professional photographer I only ever used 2 bags in my 20 year career and they were either a Billingham or a Domke.
The Domke F2 model being my go-to bag for 90% of my assignments over that time and took 2x Canon EOS 1 SLR or (later) DSLR bodies, plus a 17-35; 28-70 & 70-200, plus 2 flash guns...... Both brands purchased in the early 80's and both still going.. if somewhat battle torn..
These are good shooting bags.. but not as good for humping gear around airports etc.. this is where the backpack comes into its own..
However on a moving assignment a shoulder bag is a better option.
More recently for video work I've used bigger bags by Petrol and Camerade... but these are transport bags and you don't walk around with them..
Cheers
Gareth
Old April 6th, 2017, 03:08 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks I'll check those out.

I actually have a dslr sling that is good but I'd like to replace because it's prone to falling over when you set it down, dumping your equipment.

But the bag I'm looking for is more like an over night travel/ sports equipment bag. It's a lot bigger and to hold 2 cameras and accessories. Basically an all in one to move in and out of venues but sometimes you don't carry while shooting.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 03:33 PM   #9
Trustee

I forgot about the Dome F2 bags, i really like those. Can they fit a 15" laptop?

The Mountainsmith Descent looks great also, might be a bit small for my gear, i need to look further.

Cheers guys
Old April 6th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Denny View Post
I forgot about the Dome F2 bags, i really like those. Can they fit a 15" laptop?
LOL.. We didn't have such small laptops in my day... (could carry a ton of film though) ... I still really rate these bags and still use the F3 as my main man bag...with or without a camera..

If you look at the Tiffen site there is a whole range of fantastic bags, several have tablet/PC pouches... most bags seem to be around 200 to 250 dollars. If you have a dealer near you I'd go check them out...
cheers
Gareth
Old April 6th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #11
Trustee

I made a decision and purchased the Think Tank Retrospective 30 Shoulder Bag, I'm In Japan soon so this will be my only camera/gear bag on this trip.

Thanks for your help people.

Cheers, S
Old April 6th, 2017, 10:09 PM   #12
Supports LPFM Radio

Cool. Simon, after you've used the bag for a few weeks, please report back with what you think, like, dislike, etc...

Jim "almost always looking for new and better bags" Feeley
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 12:13 AM   #13
Trustee

Sure will Jim, I must admit ..... I've had bag lust for years and have spent a small fortune I reckon on bags....
lets hope this one is the one.

Cheers, S
Old April 7th, 2017, 01:12 PM   #14
Inner Circle

On a related note I was also looking at a traditional camera bag for a Panasonic UX180. I'm trying to decide between Arco Dr vs Porta Brace. Anyone own or have experience with either?
Arco Dr
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1085206-REG
I prefer longer outer pockets for xlr cables

Porta Brace
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/400706-REG
I'm concerned it's not ridged enough to support heavy tripods stacked on top when transporting on a cart.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series