DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Gh5 firmware 2,0 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/534721-gh5-firmware-2-0-a.html)

Brian Rhodes September 26th, 2017 08:31 PM

Gh5 firmware 2,0

https://www.brianrhodes.tv/single-po...ware-update-20

The new firmware includes following upgrades:

1.Compatibility with “LUMIX Tether” PC software

This new firmware enables GH5 tethered shooting via USB, using “LUMIX Tether” PC software. Users can control the camera by connecting it to a PC via USB. It lets you view the image on a large PC screen while shooting, which is helpful in commercial photoshoots of portraits, products and so on, where continuous confirmation is required. You can use [6K PHOTO] [4K PHOTO] and start and stop video recording with the tethered shooting. It is also possible to choose the folder to save the image files in the PC.

1.Improved auto focus performance

-Auto focus performance for subjects with low contrast in photo shooting is improved.

-Tracking auto focus performance in video recording is improved.

-The customized AF area can be continuously displayed in [Multi AF] and [Custom Multi AF] during live-view.

-The AF area in [Multi AF] can be moved to the other edge (side, top or bottom) when it reaches one edge.

-The start point of AF lock can be set on the live view screen in advance in [AF Tracking].

-The AF area can be moved while the shutter button is half-pressed or while recording in [Burst Mode], [6K PHOTO] and [4K PHOTO].

1.Improved performance in [6K PHOTO] and [4K PHOTO]

-The waiting time to start the next burst shooting sequence after [6K Burst] and [4K Burst] is shortened to less than half the time.

-[Loop Rec] is available in [6K PHOTO]

•Use of Panasonic SD Memory Card with Video Speed Class 90 is recommended for [Loop Rec] of [6K PHOTO].

1.An additional ALL-Intra Video Recording mode

-4:2:2,10-bit ALL-Intra video recording mode is added to 4K/FHD video recording.

•Use of SD Memory Card with Video Speed Class 60 or higher is recommended for 4K ALL-Intra video recording. Operation is confirmed with Panasonic SD Memory Card with Video Speed Class 90.

New 4:2:2,10-bit ALL-Intra Recording Mode

1.4K HDR video recording

-[HLG] (Hybrid Log Gamma) is added to [Photo Style]. HDR (High Dynamic Range) is a mode to reproduce both the brightest and darkest part in an image, making it look just as human eyes see. The camera records video with a designated gamma curve compatible with ITU-R BT.2100, and you can now choose Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) in [Photo Style].

-A low-bit-rate recording mode 4K HEVC for HLG was added. This enables playback on AV equipment compatible with the HEVC compression format, such as Panasonic 4K HDR TVs.

6.Enhancement of the Anamorphic video recording mode

-High-Resolution Anamorphic mode, which enables video recording in 18-mega effective pixels, is added. *Recorded in HEVC

New High-Resolution Anamorphic Mode

*1 “High Resolution Anamorphic Mode” records motion picture with an aspect ratio suited for an anamorphic lens,4:3. The effective picture size for this mode is equivalent to the number of pixels produced by 6K (approx. 6,000 (horizontal) x 3,000 (vertical)) images (approx. 18 megapixels).

*2 High resolution Anamorphic mode

-[Anamorphic Desqueeze Display] was added, which lets you view an enlarged image in Cinescope size while recording with 2.0x and 1.33x Anamorphic lens.

-[Video Guide Line] is added to display the image in a variety of aspects, such as 2.39:1, 2.35:1, 16:9, and 1:1 while recording video. This can be used not only in Anamorphic mode but also in other video recording modes.

7.Enhancement of Body I.S. (Image Stabilizer)

-[I.S. Lock(video)] is added. This powerfully compensates for handshake when the viewing angle is fixed.

-A new handshake correction mode is added, which provides optimum correction when using 2.0x and 1.33x Anamorphic lens.

8.Correction of white balance setting

-When the K (Kelvin) value was changed after adjusting the color temperature with 2-axis white balance compensation, the setting was reset. This bug has been fixed.

9.Improved usability of Time Lapse Shot

-The time to finish shooting and the number of recordable pictures are displayed on the stand-by screen.

10.Improved usability of Power Save LVF

-Power Save LVF can now be used during all stand-by display options.

11.Wireless functions

-The Bluetooth Remote Control function can be used with Image App, which will also be updated at the same timing with the GH5 firmware release.

Steve Burkett September 27th, 2017 03:38 AM

Re: Gh5 firmware 2,0

All downloaded and installed. Looking forward to trying out the apparently improved AF on this Saturday's Wedding. Plus may see how the new 400Mbps codec holds on my V60 card on some non critical shots. Though suspect a V90 card will be the ultimate order of the day for that. Nice to get the 2-35 guidelines finally. Just need to disable the display button and remove that annoyance from my filming and I'm all set for the weekend. :)

Steven Schuldt September 27th, 2017 10:39 AM

Great news, thanks for posting! Will be interested to see if my last-gen SanDisk Extreme Pro cards work at all with the new ALL-I. If not, it will be interesting to see how it fails.

Also looking for hot tips on reliable V90 cards that are alternatives to the insanely-priced Panasonics. $500 for the 128GB card!? I don't think so...

EDIT: Just bought a couple of these 128GB Delkin Cinema SDXC UHS-II (U3/V90) cards (https://www.amazon.com/Delkin-Cinema...rds=Delkin+V90). I'll post to let people know how they perform after I receive and test them.

Phil Lee September 27th, 2017 12:56 PM

Hi

A few oddities I've noticed and posted elsewhere about. By default on my camera anyway it had set under economy a 1 second turn off which was triggered when pressing the [DISP] button and seeing the summary settings page, this made me think it was crashing out, it even did this when recording a video, so if accidentally touching that button and moving to that menu would see the camera shut down. What a strange setting, and I can't understand it's purpose or reason for being. It can be turned off this economy mode.

The other thing is the [DISP] lock doesn't seem to work under Operation Locks, I thought that would finally mean I wasn't constantly hitting it and changing the display, but it seems not to lock that button, so perhaps we mis-understood the change.

Regards

Phil

Steve Burkett September 27th, 2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Lee (Post 1936833)

The other thing is the [DISP] lock doesn't seem to work under Operation Locks, I thought that would finally mean I wasn't constantly hitting it and changing the display, but it seems not to lock that button, so perhaps we mis-understood the change.

It's more complicated than that. You have to switch on Operation Lock, which you can assign to a FN Button. I have mine set to Fn1. If you scroll down the options for assigning control to these Fn buttons, one of the options on Page 3 is Operation Lock. Once this function has been assigned, you can switch on Operation Lock and switch it off by pressing this function button.

Be aware though that anything listed in the Operation Lock Settings is also locked, so if Cursor, Joystick and Touch Screen is On as mine was, then these will be locked as well. However I have kept those set to Off and only Display to On. So now when I press Fn1, only the Display is toggled off and on.

Brian Rhodes September 27th, 2017 01:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Schuldt (Post 1936828)
Great news, thanks for posting! Will be interested to see if my last-gen SanDisk Extreme Pro cards work at all with the new ALL-I. If not, it will be interesting to see how it fails.

Also looking for hot tips on reliable V90 cards that are alternatives to the insanely-priced Panasonics. $500 for the 128GB card!? I don't think so...

EDIT: Just bought a couple of these 128GB Delkin Cinema SDXC UHS-II (U3/V90) cards (https://www.amazon.com/Delkin-Cinema...rds=Delkin+V90). I'll post to let people know how they perform after I receive and test them.

The Adata V90 SDXC cards work 128gb $159.00 256gb $299.00
ADATA Premier ONE 128GB SDXC UHS-II U3 Class10 V90 3D NAND 4K 8K Ultra HD 290MB/s SD Card (ASDX128GUII3CL10-C)

Phil Lee September 27th, 2017 02:42 PM

Hi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burkett (Post 1936834)
It's more complicated than that. You have to switch on Operation Lock, which you can assign to a FN Button. I have mine set to Fn1. If you scroll down the options for assigning control to these Fn buttons, one of the options on Page 3 is Operation Lock. Once this function has been assigned, you can switch on Operation Lock and switch it off by pressing this function button.

Be aware though that anything listed in the Operation Lock Settings is also locked, so if Cursor, Joystick and Touch Screen is On as mine was, then these will be locked as well. However I have kept those set to Off and only Display to On. So now when I press Fn1, only the Display is toggled off and on.

Ah I did wonder if I was missing something, that makes sense thank you.

Quote:

ADATA Premier ONE 128GB SDXC UHS-II U3 Class10 V90 3D NAND 4K 8K Ultra HD 290MB/s SD Card (ASDX128GUII3CL10-C)
Because the V30, 60, 90 define a new SD protocol and guaranteed minimum write speeds, rather than dubious marketing maximums, it should be the case now that all V90 cards will work fine, assuming they are genuine brands.

The prices will start to come down however because V90 requires high performance and top quality NAND memory and new controllers/firmware to support the new SD version for video (i.e.it isn't just a new sticker they can stick on existing top performing cards), prices will probably remain high for some time.

Regards

Phil

Steven Schuldt September 27th, 2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes (Post 1936837)

Nice! Cancelled the order for the Delkins and have ordered a 256GB ADATA.

Steven Schuldt September 27th, 2017 09:47 PM

I can capture about 8-10 seconds of video shooting ALL-I 400 10bit HLG Cinema 24p DCI 4K resolution on my GH4-era SanDisk Extreme Pro cards with the new firmware. After that an alert pops up complaining of insufficient card speed and recording terminates.

I did a couple of tests of short, 3-second recordings and it looks spectacular. Will see if the ADATA V90 card I've ordered can reliably handle ALL-I when it arrives this weekend.

Noa Put September 28th, 2017 04:23 PM

The highlight of this 2.0 update for me is the I.S. lock and the ability to control the ISO with the back dial like Sony camera's can, I have just installed the firmware and noticed the IS lock is very effective, I was able to keep my 40-150 Olympus lens handheld almost appear like on tripod @ 150mm.

Phil Lee September 29th, 2017 01:13 AM

Hi

I found the same, it does hold the image really steady, the only negative is move a little too much for it to cope with and it snaps back and re-frames, of course that can't be fixed as it's the limit of how much it can correct for movement. The irony of course is you don't know you are slowly reframing because the image is static in the viewfinder/monitor. Would be good if they added a little graphic like a target so you could keep correcting.

Enable electronic video stabilisation as well and it's virtual tripod!

Regards

Phil

Noa Put September 29th, 2017 02:00 AM

That IS lock is going to be invaluable when I take headshots handheld with my 75mm f1.8 olympus lens at weddings, I was able to keep it quite steady before but there was always a little swaying going on, from what I have seen so far IS lock prevents that from happening giving me rock solid footage. As I only need a few seconds from each person I shoot I can deal with eventual reframing and wait until I get the right shot. I would not use it however for longer continuous shots but to just get my b-roll while I am on the move.

Phil Lee September 29th, 2017 07:13 AM

Yes perfect for that use case, it would look like a tripod shot!

Cary Knoop September 29th, 2017 08:02 AM

Yes, the IS lock is wonderful, I have permanently assigned the front button near the lens for this function.

Steve Burkett September 29th, 2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cary Knoop (Post 1936893)
Yes, the IS lock is wonderful, I have permanently assigned the front button near the lens for this function.

Cheers for that tip; I've done the same. So far really impressed with the new features from the tests I have done so far and can't wait to use them officially for tomorrows Wedding.

For all it's faults and the GH5 has a few still, there's no denying this is a camera that already stood head and shoulders above competition and is now even better. So well done for Panasonic for offering this and for not daring to charge a fee for the upgrade. :)