GH5 or the G9 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 25th, 2018, 01:32 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: GH5 or the G9

Ron, I understand how and why you operate as in recording staged events. I did that on one occasion about ten years ago when I recorded a play my brother directed. My clips are much more like 20 to 30 seconds maximum and almost always of something interesting, for me at least :-)

Furthermore, I almost invariably shoot both video and photographs, hybrid shooting, switching quickly from one mode to the other all the time. I am no longer in 'production video' and my EX1 is obsolete. While Panasonic marketing may well push the GH5 as their hybrid camera it is now clear to me, thanks to the input on the subject from contributors to this thread, that if one does not need or want to shoot using the very advanced video features the GH5 offers including V-Log and 10 bit 4:2:2 along with the option of saving files in many more formats then the G9 is a better hybrid camera in that it offers superior focusing ability, better ergonomics, superior stabilization capability, hugely better EVF and so on, not to mention the clearly superior photography capability.

Steve, let me repeat myself again; I am a hybrid shooter and the notion of a 'bit of video on the side' fails to do justice to the video capability of the G9 or to my modus operandi. As I have said these days I am not a video 'producer' per se and I'm not doing video as a side to photography, nor photography as a side to video.

The Fuji XH1 does not shoot 4k 60p and I prefer the Lumix colours so I won't go there. Your mileage does indeed vary.

Again, many thanks gentlemen.

Last edited by John McCully; March 25th, 2018 at 02:55 PM.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2018, 03:53 PM   #32
Trustee

John, sounds like you've made your mind up. So really, I'd not worry about how others feel. I agree the G9 offering 60p 4K is a major plus for the camera. You asked for input from others and you have it, but the choice is as always your own. Only you can determine your personal needs. At the end of the day I am biased towards the GH5.

As for the Fuji, I still feel it is a better hybrid. In fact I was very tempted by it myself, but the video features somewhat fall short of what I've become use to. The larger sensor and colours are in my opinion and many others of outstanding quality. Moreover Pansonic have never in my mind been altogether superb in Photography. Focusing may well be better for Photos (jury is out on video), but still falls short on other manufacturers. Other manufacturers just get Photography more than Pansonic. If my role was even 30% Photography, I'd be using another brand of camera. No hesitation. And I say this with £10000's invested in Panasonic gear and a huge love for the GH5.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2018, 03:54 PM   #33
Inner Circle

I am sure you have seen this John,
. Long but interesting. All this discussion of auto focus. I only use auto on my 1/3" Sony camcorders that work fine. With shallower depth of field and getting the camera to decide what to focus on then upset because it isn't what the user wants is amusing !!! All my serious stuff is manual focus though to be fair the setup is often with touch spot focus. That works on the AX100, GH5 and GH5S just fine !!!

I am sure the G9 will work fine for you.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2018, 04:58 PM   #34
Major Player

Steve, again many thanks. Yes, I've made up my mind, for now, but tomorrow brings another day, and who knows, the gear landscape continues to change, for the better I reckon. Nothing is cast in bronze. I do understand your lack of enthusiasm for Panasonic still cameras and I share that to some degree, for sure. I do continue to sometimes bring my Sony a6000 with the FE 4/70-200 attached but only when I can park my vehicle close to the action and bringing a bunch of gear is possible. Great photography setup but rather useless regarding video. As a hybrid camera it just doesn't cut it.

The great cliché of this age is 'everything is a compromise, nothing is perfect'. I am of the opinion, soon to be tested, that the Lumix G9, if not perfect, might actually be a significant step up in the photography department for Panasonic. I hope so. I shall let you know. I should point out that I'm not making large prints anymore but pop the occasional shot up on the Web.

One thing is clear; if one wants affordable 4k 60p and very good still image quality all in the same device then there are not a lot of options out there in the interchangeable lens camera department. We shall see if the G9 delivers as promised.

Ron, thanks yes, I did already view that video, albeit with much fast forwarding as I find that fellow a bit too pedantic; way too many words and seemingly to self-absorbed for my liking which gets in the way of the information sharing. He is not alone in that regard when it comes to YouTube videos about this sort of gear.

In due course I shall post my finding regarding the G9 here.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2018, 05:07 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
way too many words
All the input you have gotten here so far are also just a lot of words so I'm not sure what you exactly want to hear from us if you have a problem with words. :)

Just rent the camera's you have interest in if you can and see for yourself as that looks to be the only way to convince yourself.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2018, 06:34 PM   #36
Major Player

Thanks Noa, but your words were indeed helpful as were Mark's as I already said. And while that comment about 'words' was partly a rhetorical gesture I do have a problem with too many words but please don't get hung up on that. And as I said in my most recent post 'I've made up my mind, for now' but perhaps you didn't read that yet.

Cheers.
John McCully is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series