GH5(s) autoexposure - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 20th, 2018, 07:09 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: GH5(s) autoexposure

I use a similar approach with my GH5 and GH5S in the theatre. Setting aperture and shutter speed, auto gain, gain limit and use compensation to set the brightness I want in the image. Essentially clamping the exposure in a range when unattended.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2019, 11:55 AM   #17
Major Player

I have the GH5s with the 14-140mm lens. I set it on autofocus for theatre (wide shot) but I noticed I hunts regularly.

Or is manual focus and peaking a better option? (don't know if you can peak the whole stage)
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2019, 12:44 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I always have focus set to manual and use touch focus to set the focus. This is especially important in the theatre because of the lights changing. I use the 12-60 on my GH5 and also like you the 14-140 on my GH5S. Since I use the Ninja V also I can watch to see if exposure is OK using false colour.
Old December 11th, 2019, 01:40 PM   #19
Major Player

thx Ron for your quick answer. But the GH5S stands normally close to the side of the stage so I can't touch focus it when the show starts. Can you be a bit more specific?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2019, 01:53 PM   #20
Inner Circle

You can’t leave a camera up close unmanned set to auto focus. It’s not the right type of camera. Traditional eng cameras are used because of their large dof. Before the performance start manually focus is set to the middle of the stage and is unchanged throughout. If the camera is up front and to the side it will be impossible to get everything in focus. If you leave it in auto focus the camera will hunt.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2019, 06:37 PM   #21
Inner Circle

I shoot from the back for most of my shoots with just different framing. Both GH5 and GH5S have good WIFi app so you could just use that to touch focus when show starts. I often run my cameras with the WiFi app it is easy to use and controls almost everything on the camera.
Old December 15th, 2019, 12:35 PM   #22
Major Player

thx Ron for the tip with the wifi. never used it before. I had again a theatre this weekend but didn't had much time to test out the app. Again the GH5S was near stage on the side and I could see the image
on my phone attached into the manfrotto smartphone clamp

I used face detection this time and so far I saw my footage on my pc I didn't see any "hunting".
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series