Hood for LCD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 14th, 2018, 11:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Hood for LCD?

Hello, I will almost always shoot outdoors on sunny days with a gimbal and the GH5. Do you think it may be useful for a sunshade for LCD? I have no experience with this. Does anyone use it? Thanks for some info.
Old July 14th, 2018, 12:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Hood for LCD?

Hi Adriano,

I don't prefer LCD sunshades. There are often times when my viewing angle is off to the side or top and the shade blocks some of the LCD display. It may be a necessary evil at times, but I have learned to live without it. It's also just something else to attach/detach and get in the way, and I already have plenty junk on my rig!

I would first start and check to see if you need it by simulating you are using it on your gimbal (until of course you receive it, so you can test first hand). The sun here in Arizona is plenty bright and I never need a sunshade for my GH4 (which I think is the same as your GH5).

I have the the Monitor Display brightness set on +3 (with a total of +5), Contrast/Saturation set on +1. I have the Monitor Luminance set for A* (automatic), and you have 1* (brighter) and 2* (darker) as forced options.

Also, I usually use the Atomos Ninja Flame 7" monitor/recorder attached to the GH4, it is very bright. I have never needed the sunshade for it either, it is still in the wrapper!

When you are running and gunning holding the gimbal/camera high, then low you most likely will not be able to adjust the monitor angle for better viewing on the fly, but you may find there are times when the LCD angle can be adjusted up, before you hold the gimbal low to the ground and that LCD up angle will provide better viewing, and same for high angle shooting. Problem with that is you have to fold out the LCD and this will change the balance of your gimbal setup.

However, if you find it better to balance the camera on the gimbal with the LCD folded out, twisting the LCD monitor up or down a bit, may not throw off the balance to cause a problem, depending on the strength of the motor drive in the gimbal you have purchased.

If you get to like shooting with the LCD folded out and the flexibility that offers in adjusting the angle. I would think having a sunshade attached to be just another hassle.

I currently don't have a gimbal, but I have used them in the past, I'm certainly no expert on gimbals, but these are just my thoughts and opinion (and sometimes my opinion is like a rock and other times can change with the wind!!).
Old July 15th, 2018, 12:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Hy, thanks foryou interesting suggestions. I will try to use the gimbal and then I will think about it.
Old July 15th, 2018, 01:34 AM   #4
Major Player

In case you still are interested in a form of a sunshade, do a search for Hoodman.
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2018, 10:46 AM   #5
Supports LPFM Radio

I've had a few hoods over the years. They're useful devices, though as George noted earlier, they can sometimes block angled viewing.

However, they're inexpensive and easy to take on and off. I've trimmed some hoods on one side so I can see from an angle, I've slipped them off and into my pocket (and sometimes inadvertently onto the ground), and all that's no be deal.

As Jo says, Hoodman makes a bunch of different models. They're good:
https://shop.hoodmanusa.com/category-s/125.htm

Also, I used to have some hoods from Petrol...the founder now runs Orca and is also making some nice-looking hoods:
Orca bags - Gear in motion

So buy one that fits your camera, see if you like it, don't worry if you need to modify or sometimes remove it.

:-)
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2018, 11:08 AM   #6
Inner Circle

OP says it’s for gimbal use. You can’t add, remove or adjust without disturbing the balance and held away from you it limits the visibility. For touch screens it impedes access.

I’ve used a hood on my eng camera and found that I needed to put my eye up to the hood to block light from reflecting off the lcd. A bright field monitor is the way to go but obviously it’s an expensive upgrade that makes the rig heavier to hold.

Most people get by, setting the camera to auto, using a wide angle lens where framing isn’t as critical. But this is the drawback to using a gimbal.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; July 16th, 2018 at 11:47 AM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 10:12 AM   #7
Supports LPFM Radio

"OP says it’s for gimbal use. You can’t add, remove or adjust without disturbing the balance and held away from you it limits the visibility. For touch screens it impedes access."

I'm hip to all that. I work with gimbals a bunch; like all of us these days.

But I do use hoods on some gimbal gigs (or more accurately scenes and shots). Sometimes they're really useful, sometimes they'd get in the way. It's usually pretty clear when a hood will or won't be helpful and therefore if we should balance the rig with the hood on or off. And again, you can trim them to balance shading and visibility.

They're so inexpensive, they're worth having around even if they're not a constant solution.

As Cookie Monster said, they're a sometimes food:
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 12:13 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Feeley View Post
"OP says it’s for gimbal use. You can’t add, remove or adjust without disturbing the balance and held away from you it limits the visibility. For touch screens it impedes access."
I'm hip to all that. I work with gimbals a bunch; like all of us these days.
]
My comment was directed at the op who’s planning on buying a gimbal and I believe has no experience with one. But I agree anyone with experience would know what to expect and be able choose when to use it. Obviously the usefulness these sort of things is highly subjective. My point was in my experience hoods haven’t been as useful to me in this type of application as I thought they would be.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2018, 09:11 AM   #9
Supports LPFM Radio

Thumbs Up.

Looks like we're on the same page, Pete. Hopefully the back-and-forth discussion will be helpful to Adriano.

Adriano, I hope you find a solution that works for you!
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series