How important is it in the video to buy a tripod that turns into a monopod? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 24th, 2018, 01:59 PM   #1
Major Player

How important is it in the video to buy a tripod that turns into a monopod?

Hi, I should buy a carbon tripod to make videos in 4K with the GH5 and Leica 12-60mm. I always shoot videos traveling around the world. I noticed that some tripods have a removable central tube to create a monopod. I have no experience with this. Is it better to buy this type of tripod or is it something too amateur and is useless and maybe doesn't work well neither the tripod nor monomipod? Thank you.
Old July 25th, 2018, 03:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: How important is it in the video to buy a tripod that turns into a monopod?

It depends on your shooting style. I have one that I use for travel shoots where I need both, but luggage weight and space is limited. For most cases, a tripod will be ideal when you need a perfectly stable shot...but if you're shooting in crowded spaces, or where a tripod is to prohibited, it's nice to have the option to use just a single leg. The trade-off is that you have to deal with a larger/heavier tripod and still need a place to store it when you're using only the monopod.
If your budget allows, buy the best tripod you can afford, as it will likely outlast your next 2 or 3 cameras.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2018, 04:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Ok, thanks for your info. I shoot only in the travels and where there are great spaces. I film the daily life of indigenous peoples. I have just bought this tripod because I will use it when I travel: Sirui T-1204X in carbon fibre and with this fluid head: Manfrotto MHXPRO-2W
Now I need to buy a monopod, but it has to be but light. I don't know monopod at all and I'd like to ask 2 questions:
1) There are two kind of monopods, aa normal monopod and another one with a small tripod at the end to support it and a spring at the base or a greas ball that serves to fold the monopod in 360°. In your opinion which of the two is better?
2) I shots only videos. To make videos I need to buy only a plate to hook the GH5 or is it better to buy a fluid head too? Do you think to work only with a plate on the monopod is it crazy or does it go well?
Thanks x some clarification.
Old July 25th, 2018, 05:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I shouldn't reply, I know I will be sorry, but I'm going to do it anyway.....

With the Sirui tripod and Manfrotto head, along with your GH5 and lens, you are about 6 lbs, easy to carry and easy to manipulate. I would down the legs keeping 2 legs 2 finger thicknesses short. Pickup and carry the with one hand just below the head wrapping the fingers and hand around all the legs and the other hand either on the camera or head handle. The one longer leg serves as a monopod. Need to set the rig down for a hands off break, spread the legs, even with the 2 legs being a bit shorter it should be stable. Actually want/need the tripod function, quickly even out the legs, spread them to the locks, bingo!
Old July 26th, 2018, 12:34 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dean View Post
You did well to answer me because it is good advice. ;)
Old July 26th, 2018, 08:11 AM   #6
Major Player

My motto: "Do one thing, and do it well"
Anytime you try and combine functions, there will be some type of engineering or manufacturing compromise. I'd rather have a great Tripod and a great Mono-pod.
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2018, 10:06 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dean View Post
LOL. I feel the same way. I try to resist the temptation to post.

I agree with Vince, better to have a piece of equipment that does a specific task well. I remember Sachtler made 2 in 1 tripod and had poor reviews, expensive, heavy and cumbersome.

When you're shooting solo you have to make tough decisions on what equipment to bring. I think its best to start out with the most accepted method. Then with each job you'll make modifications based on your experience.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2018, 11:43 AM   #8
Major Player

ahaha, thanks for your nice replies. You are right! Now I'd like to ask a strange question to understand better but I need replies from guys who use monopod. For make video is it better to use a monopod with 3 small legs and the greased ball at base and only a plate for a GH5 or is it better a normal monopod without 3 small legs and the greased ball but with a small fluid head?
Old July 26th, 2018, 11:54 AM   #9
Major Player

For the monopod, I currently use the Sirui P-424SR along with a Manfrotto mini fluid head (from a previous monopod), it's overkill for most situations, as it adds weight that you don't need when travelling. It's nice to have the ability to pan and tilt smoothly with the monopod, but when it comes to travel, I'd sacrifice some functions for lighter weight. The tools you have will dictate how you shoot (to some extent). If weight/money/setup-time were no object, you would have more options in getting the shot...but you're probably hoping to be quick and nimble...so keep the gear weight to a minimum.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2018, 03:34 PM   #10
Kino-Eye

I consider it very important, since I often use a monopod as a low-cost, easy-to-travel with stabilizer. I like to travel light so my tripod must double as a monopod, since I use both in my shooting. I use a GH4-based kit and I like to have a stable camera (thus I need a Tripod) once in a while but also wants to lower the center of gravity when using it hand-held (the Monopod is good for this) as well as hold it kind of still once in a while (the Monopod comes in handy) and also do time lapse (with a Tripod and some added weight hanging from the center column for added stability). I've found the perfect companion for my GH4 to be the MeFoto Globetrotter with carbon fiber legs (model C2350) and it has proven to be reliable and lightweight for what it does. I compared it to a lot of other models, this one felt like it was a good balance between price, design, and build quality. It fits in a carry-on size-bag, has interchangeable metal-spike or rubber feet, extends to full-size, and has a reasonably smooth ball head (it's a photo tripod, not a video tripod, so smooth pan and tilts are tricky but doable). I made a rule for myself a while back (since I do a lot of shooting as a one-person-crew): The entire kit, sound and camera and stabalization, has got to fit in a backpack or carry-on sized luggage. The MeFoto Globetrotter replaced my heavier Manfrotto tripod with a nice smooth head, and while I miss the nice smooth head, I do not miss the weight. I'm quite happy with my new smaller set-up, and the MeFoto Globetrotter is a large part of that.

Last edited by David Tamés; July 27th, 2018 at 03:36 PM. Reason: fix typos
David Tamés is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2018, 04:43 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tamés View Post
I consider it very important, since I often use a monopod as a low-cost, easy-to-travel with stabilizer.
I'm sorry but I don't understand. Do you use a monopod with a Crane? I don't even understand if you put a fluid head on it.

I never used a monopod. I have just bought s tripod Sirui T-1204X. I will buy also a cheap monopod but sometimes I use only one foot of the tripod like a monopod and I get enough good shots. But I repeat, I never used a monopod but I would be curious to do it.
Old July 29th, 2018, 05:22 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi, I'm sorry for my urgency but in 2 days I have to buy a monopod in carbon fibre and without 3 small legs at the bottom. It is a good brand and I have to buy a monopod with 2 options for video. The one with 6 sections or with 5 sections. I will use it in countryside and not in town. I never used a monopod, thanks for your suggestions.
Old July 29th, 2018, 09:46 AM   #13
Inner Circle

More sections make it compact when closed, the downside it takes longer to extend or close. The end sections can be very thin. For those reasons I’m not a fan of more than 4 stages.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2018, 09:02 AM   #14
Trustee

Benro Aero 4.
I've got one, it's great, well worth the money.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/benro-...RoCaScQAvD_BwE

Paul.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series