1920x1080 "4K" Field Monitor for a GH5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 5th, 2018, 05:48 AM   #1
Major Player

1920x1080 "4K" Field Monitor for a GH5

I was about to purchase a Datavision 7inch "4K" monitor (4K input, Full HD screen image) when on checking I found it would not accept a UHD 50p signal from my GH5.

My old low res Swit 7inch monitor does in fact convert 4K 50p to 1024x something, I just need that higher resolution.

I don't want or need a recorder/monitor like those from Atomos and the like.

Any suggestions please?

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 07:47 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: 1920x1080 "4K" Field Monitor for a GH5

There doesn't seem to be any monitor of around that size (7 inch) with a native '4K' resolution on the market. I suspect that the reason is the lack of any suitable LCD panels of that size with 3840x2160 pixel resolution, let alone the necessary dynamic range.Most portable monitors for rigs of about 5"-7" displays use mobile phone, small tablet or instrumentation panels and they only seem to be available in resolutions up to FHD. They then use the UHD handshake to presuade the source to sent a down-scaled stream that they can display. I think the smallest genuine UHD display panels made are for laptops are 15.6" which is a bit large for rig use. Then there are 17.3" and 24" panels, the latter being for UHD computer monitors.
Here is an Ebay search result for some of those smaller ones:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-6-LED-...wAAOSwpINZY0zY
Having said that, I suspect few users would be able to see the difference between FHD and UHD on a monitor that size unless they used a loupe to account for the close viewing range required.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2018, 10:30 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Game View Post
Having said that, I suspect few users would be able to see the difference between FHD and UHD on a monitor that size unless they used a loupe to account for the close viewing range required.
Literally no one would see a difference.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2018, 06:04 PM   #4
Major Player

If you have a 4K50/60 workflow it is fine to use a small HD monitor, however, it is critical that this monitor can pass-through the original signal if you want to use that signal downstream. Given the price of the new Atomos V this may be useful even if you do not need that part for the actual recording.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2018, 10:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
If you have a 4K50/60 workflow it is fine to use a small HD monitor, however, it is critical that this monitor can pass-through the original signal if you want to use that signal downstream. Given the price of the new Atomos V this may be useful even if you do not need that part for the actual recording.
Indeed, the ability to record 4K video would ensure that such a signal could also be passed through.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 12:31 AM   #6
Major Player

I will be ordering a new monitor this week which I think will do the trick.
More in due course!

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 10:00 PM   #7
Major Player

I use the Atomos Inferno. Have put an order for the Ninja V as it will be more handy and will have a better battery life.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2018, 01:23 AM   #8
Major Player

Yesterday at Broadcast India show i saw a 7" monitor which is from a company called Lillyput it could accept 4k signal and show at 1920x1080 and has practically all the external monitor functions.
Old October 26th, 2018, 02:46 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal Jadhav View Post
Yesterday at Broadcast India show i saw a 7" monitor which is from a company called Lillyput it could accept 4k signal and show at 1920x1080 and has practically all the external monitor functions.
it probably doesn't 'accept' a 4K (or UHD) input. HDMI works by initialising a negotiation between source and monitor as to which standards they can send/receive. Your camera would offer UHD but the monitor would reject that and offer an 'invite' for FHD which the camera could provide with ease. This is how HDMI is effectively future proof in terms of basic resolution compatibility. There are of course other parameters such as colour depth, HDR, sampling depth (e.g. 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2) but they are also negotiated so that you get something.
I have had a Lilliput monitor (model 665GL) that can accept a UHD signal but it's LCD panel's native resolution is 1024x600. The standards for UHD and 4K hadn't even been issued when I bought it.
I've just connected my GH5 set to UHD output to the 665GL and it displays the image perfectly, - well as perfectly as a panel of 1024x600 native resolution can show it!
Steve Game is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series