A complicated question on Lumix GH5, to get good shots in Africa at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 8th, 2020, 08:11 AM   #1
Major Player

A complicated question on Lumix GH5, to get good shots in Africa

Hi, I would like to ask a somewhat complicated question, hoping to receive answers from those who have a lot of experience with the GH5.
I just took my usual doc in Africa using the GH5 in manual as always, but I got junk in the colors. Yet I use first-class cosse, such as the gray rolling filter, the gray card for the White Balance, etc. I use the "Natural" option and remove the contrast and color at -2 and then manage them in post. Unfortunately when I shoot in every country but not in Africa, I get very good results but not in Africa, where there is an incredible sun and red earth. I only film in african villages. Maybe manually I don't perfectly match the shutter speed and aperture because I often don't have the right time. Or maybe the real problem is another.
Maybe something escapes me. In my country I always do many tests that I then try to implement in Africa too. But every time I come with poor results in the clips, perhaps because I often don't have the right time to sort everything before shooting and I have to shoot quickly.
My questions are

Is it possible to film with aperture priority with the GH5?
Is there such a possibility? I have always used the GH5 in Manual and even reading the manual, I cannot find this option that I would like to choose.

I attach a link of one of my clips in UHD: luckily not all clips are like this, but many are like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7bhbuvocq...ngola.MOV?dl=0

In your opinion, could I get good results with this Settings and also put the ISO in Automatic?
1000 thanks
Old April 14th, 2020, 09:28 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: A complicated question on Lumix GH5, to get good shots in Africa

Forgive me but I am having difficulty with your issue. The GH5 is an amazing camera and I have always had excellent results in manual mode, cinelike D and manual white balance. However, the white balance can be tricky when you want to capture the gorgeous, blazing reds of the sunset, in which case I set the white balance to the "daylight" preset which captures the reds beautifully. I hope I've been able to assist.
Old April 14th, 2020, 11:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The short answer is cameras are not as good at capturing reds. When you dig deeper the science of color is more complex. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3352467
In layman’s terms a video/photo of a sunset is never as spectacular as viewing it in person.

I’m guessing filming raw and color grading it would yield better results albeit substantially more work...
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2020, 04:14 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I’m guessing filming raw and color grading it would yield better results albeit substantially more work...
Raw is hard for me and expensive too because I have to buy an external device. I'm thinking to buy V-Log. Do you know it? Did you ever use it?
Thank you for your suggestions!
Old April 15th, 2020, 08:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Sorry I haven’t.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2020, 01:34 PM   #6
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
Raw is hard for me and expensive too because I have to buy an external device. I'm thinking to buy V-Log. Do you know it? Did you ever use it?
Thank you for your suggestions!
I've never shot with a GH5 but I love using V-LOG with my S1H. RAW recording would be overkill. The S1H does 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 at 400 Mbps Full Frame -- and that is plenty good enough.

BTW, you really need to learn how to control exposure and white balance on full manual or else you will never get consistently good results.

This video was shot entirely with V-LOG and internal recording.
Old April 15th, 2020, 05:11 PM   #7
Major Player

The video is is incredibly wonderful. I thank you to share. Couls you tell me what Lumix S1H has more than GH5? In your opinion could I do good video with V-Log and GH5 too?

Out of curiosity: how much more time do you need to grading a clip with slight dominant colors that a click made with V-Log?

Is it possible to reac at 50p and 10 bit with V-Log?
Thanks again one.
Old April 16th, 2020, 09:41 AM   #8
Vortex Media

The main difference to me is that the S1H has a full-frame sensor while the GH5 is only micro 4/3. That right there is enough to keep me away from the GH5. The S1H does everything that GH5 can do, plus much more. It matches and exceeds in recording specs, color science, image stabilization, viewfinder resolution, timcecode in/out, V-LOG, low light performance, dual-ISO capability, 6K, 4K @ 60p, battery life, and the list goes on. Also, the color science integrated into the S1H is inherited from the professional camcorder lineup of Panasonic which instantly puts it in a different league.

If you want more info about why I think the S1H is in a league of its own -- here's another video. Take a look at my list of benefits of the S1H and see how many the GH5 can match.

Old April 16th, 2020, 11:19 AM   #9
Vortex Media

Just one more thought. I didn't mean to derail this thread and imply that you need an S1H to shoot great video. The GH5 is a perfectly capable video camera and i've seen some great video from it at a school where I teach workshops in the summers. It doesn't meet my needs, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good camera. It is more important for you to master the GH5 (that you already own) by learning to shoot with full manual exposure, manual white balance, etc. than it is for you to invest in a new camera. A better camera will not automatically provide better results. Mastery of the camera you already own and improving your skills at operating it is much more important than getting a new camera. And cheaper!
Old April 16th, 2020, 05:59 PM   #10
Trustee

The S1H is definitely a step up and I envy Doug's footage. I think Doug could get great results with about any main stream camera. There is a learning curve to the GH5 which I have been using for several years. You can check out my video channel for results albeit we don't shoot in the same environments or topics.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2020, 05:05 AM   #11
Major Player

But can S1H shoot in 50p 10bit? I'd like to understand it.
Old April 17th, 2020, 05:38 AM   #12
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
The S1H is definitely a step up and I envy Doug's footage. I think Doug could get great results with about any main stream camera. There is a learning curve to the GH5 which I have been using for several years. You can check out my video channel for results albeit we don't shoot in the same environments or topics.
Mark, your videos are always excellent and prove that the GH5 is a perfectly capable camera in the right hands. Your new "Exploring your Backyard" video is a great example.
Old April 17th, 2020, 05:45 AM   #13
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
But can S1H shoot in 50p 10bit? I'd like to understand it.
Yes, the S1H can do 10-bit 50p and 60p.
Old April 17th, 2020, 06:21 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
You can check out my video channel for results albeit we don't shoot in the same environments or topics.
Your videos are always excellent too. Couls you tell me which lens do you use to take those shots?

Hey, I know there are 14 stops of dynamic range when shooting in V-Log with S1H, do you lnow how many stops there are with GH5 and V-Log?
How many stops without V-Log? I'm curious about it.
Old April 17th, 2020, 07:02 AM   #15
Trustee

Thanks, I regularly use the Panasonic 12-60 3.5-5.6, the Olympus 75-300 and the Olympus 60mm 2.8 macro.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series