DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Pana GH6: problem with AF (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/538573-pana-gh6-problem-af.html)

Ron Evans April 29th, 2022 05:14 PM

Re: Pana GH6: problem with AF

I assume the SD reader works? Also you only have one CFExpress card to try? Make sure the CFExpress card is really well inserted into the reader. It really does need to be pressed in firmly.. I find it hard to believe two reader are defective. Has to be the card or it is not inserted fully.

Adriano Moroni April 29th, 2022 09:31 PM

I would not want to waste your time with me to answer this question again but I would like to tell you that I have tried with 2 computers, 2 USB3 cables and with 2 CFexpress. I have 2 CFexpress cards that I insert them firmly, but I always get the same problem.

Noa Put April 30th, 2022 12:15 AM

I would send it in and ask for a replacement, if that 3rd one also fails then you can be sure it's your pc that is causing it.

Ron Evans April 30th, 2022 05:49 AM

There are several other CFexpress readers you could try but not sure if there are many that have both SD and CF. Like Noa I still feel it is something to do with the PC as the reader works on all my PC's. I will try again on all my PC's with all the USB connectors and see if can get it to fail as it could be an issue of how the connection is made through a hub. Will report back later today.

Adriano Moroni April 30th, 2022 06:25 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Unfortunately in Europe it is not possible to find Noa. There is Sandisk reader but it costs a lot more that ProGrade reader.
Anyway I like to inform you, I disabled all AUTOPLAY (for all the drivers) in my PC. I followed these steps: https://support.lenovo.com/at/en/solutions/ht502955

As the first 2 steps didn't work, so I followed the third step. Now my PC no longer loads anything in Automatic mode.

I attach some pics where you can see the error 47. But I don't know what it is.

Ron Evans April 30th, 2022 07:41 AM

Why did you disable autoplay?

I have now checked mine on almost all USB connection even USB 2 and it still shows and can be removed. Did you format the card in the GH6 and record something on it? Does it play in the GH6 OK ? Can you connect the GH6 to your computer with USB C cable and does the card show then.

Adriano Moroni April 30th, 2022 08:05 AM

Good questions. ;)
The reason I disabled all the AUTOPLY, only to do a test.
I formatted the CFexpress with GH6 and with ProGrade I get the same problem.
I plug the cable on GH6 and the other end into the USB3 port of the PC and I can eject well, both the car and the GH6,repeat both work fine. It seems ProGrade is the problem.

Adriano Moroni May 1st, 2022 01:51 PM

OUT OF CURIOSITY:
when we talk about using a flat profile with high dynamics, we often talk about Cinelike and I think in the GH6 it is called Cinelike D2, is that right?

But what is the difference between Cinelike D2 and Cinelike V2?
Thanks for clarifying me.

Ron Evans May 1st, 2022 02:11 PM

They are all called picture profiles. They modify the image. It is up to you to decide what to use to achieve the end result you want. No one can do that for you. Try them all and see what you like. If you want to view immediately and not worry too much about things then Like709 is much like using a camcorder. If you want to spend time with grading a wide dynamic range then use Vlog. The others are variations between those.

Adriano Moroni May 1st, 2022 02:19 PM

Ok, have you ever used the GH6 in Manual but with the ISO in AUTO? Do you find it interesting or not?

Ron Evans May 1st, 2022 03:04 PM

My normal setup for shooting in the theatre is 60P, shutter priority, auto gain, gain limit set depending on lighting, set as low as possible. Exposure mode is set for highlight measuring as I do not want to blow out actors faces. Shoot Vlog. Focus is manual too. Set first with touch focus, peaking on and verified with expanding image and also expanded image on the Ninja.

Adriano Moroni May 4th, 2022 04:24 AM

Can anyone tell me what is the native ISO of the gh6?
If I want to set the ISO manually, which ISO should I choose to shoot in 4K 50p 10bit (outside)?
If I use the V-Log how many ISO do I have to choose (outside)?
Thanks.

PS.It's unbelievable but I can't find this news in the GH6 user manual.

Ron Evans May 4th, 2022 07:49 PM

This may give you some answers. https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/pan...s-gh5s-vs-gh6/

However you really need to learn some basics of photography. If you want to keep motion steady then for video shutter speed is fixed, so exposure is only controlled by ISO ( gain) and iris ( or ND to make it darker if its still too light and iris range for depth of field). If you shoot V-Log with DRB you have no choice, the ISO is preset at 2000. So then choices are only iris and ND. If you do not use DRB you are missing out on dynamic range but may be worth it in some circumstances. You could then set gain to auto if you want to make your life easier.

Adriano if you wanted an automatic camera the GH6 is not that and a camcorder would have been a better choice. If you strive for absolute perfection then you have to put in a lot more work yourself. The GH6 is a very flexible camera from full manual control to full automatic and lots in between. But as with all things that are flexible takes a lot of work to get to know and fully utilize.

Adriano Moroni May 5th, 2022 01:27 AM

I would not want to be intrusive and take too much advantage of you, but ... I will shoot in V-Log and I would like to ask you:

1) If I understand what you wrote, you would almost always shoot without ND filter, even on sunny days. You would choose the right ISOs at any time of the day. Quite right?
2) If you were me and you had to shoot my documentaries, would you choose DRB with 2000 ISO preset?

Ron Evans May 5th, 2022 05:50 AM

Adriano the exact opposite of what you wrote. In your case I would always shoot with variable ND. You will almost certainly have to control your exposure this way because it will be too bright most of the time. I think using DRB with Vlog is too complicated for you to manage. You can just use Vlog then you can set gain where ever you want just like you did with the GH5.

To get the best out of VLog and DRB ( preset at 2000ISO ) the camera needs to be completely in manual exposure. If gain is set at 2000, shutter at 1/100 ( 180 angle for 50P ) you only have iris and/or ND to control exposure. Iris for depth of field control and then just ND for exposure. Nothing automatic left it will be totally up to you. You will have to use waveforms, zebras to expose and your eyes.