Pana GH6: problem with AF at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 12th, 2022, 03:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Pana GH6: problem with AF

Hello, maybe I'm wrong because I've only been using GH6 for 2-3 days but ...... I have problems with AF. But not with continuous AF, but with fixed AF. I have configured the camera to follow people, but I certainly happen to film the countryside and the streets many times without the people and I never change the camera configuration. Almost every time the GH6 goes out of focus for a few tenths of a second with the shots fixed on tripod. I see this in almost all the clips. I sold the GH5 for this problem and I'm certainly not getting better with the GH6. But then again, maybe I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I need to put the switch on "S" instead of leaving it on "C". But if that's the real problem, it's a nuisance. How do you concentrate on the video, if every time you have to put your hand to the controls of the GH6 for the AF and ... not only?

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; April 12th, 2022 at 05:10 PM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2022, 04:34 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Pana GH6: problem with AF

It sounds like you would like to setup the camera one time . . . and then expect it to perform flawlessly in a variety of different shooting situations. If that is the case, you will never be happy. A professional camera must be adjusted and tweaked constantly to adapt to changing conditions. A GH6 is never going to be as easy to use as an iPhone no matter what settings you choose.

I don't have an GH6 but I do have an S1H and I think you might need to learn your camera better and then practice, practice, practice. If you're not happy with the AF performance, then learn to use MF, especially when shooting landscapes and streets. I'm not happy with AF on my S1H so I always use MF. It is common knowledge that Panasonic AF (for video) in their mirrorless cameras is not very good. If you wanted great AF you should have bought a Sony.
Old April 12th, 2022, 06:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi, Adriano..............

Your mention of the word "tripod" immediately rang an alarm bell with the description of your problem, and one which goes waaaay back to the introduction of Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) in its various guises and its behavior when the camera is used on a tripod.

The issue is usually seen as snapping/ juddering of the image in OIS mode during left/right pans tho' there's no reason why it wouldn't appear during tilts as well.

This MIGHT be perceived as a focus problem if you're not aware of it. Next time you shoot from your tripod shoot a segment with OIS ON then repeat it exactly with OIS OFF. See if this solves your problem.

Regards,

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2022, 07:03 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Adriano. Try the following. Switch the indicator to M. Manual focus. Frame the shot and then press the " AF On " button. Should be right by your thumb. The framing box in the LCD will then have green corners showing it has focused. Release "AF On" button and shoot. If you need to reframe just repeat. You can move the framing box by touching the LCD and moving it to the point you want in focus. Even changing it size with the wheel.

I think I sent you this reference before
, He goes over all the features of the GH6 and I think it would be good for you to watch ALL his videos.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2022, 07:58 AM   #5
Major Player

Ron,
first of all thanks for your advice, i always need them. ;)
I have a doubt. I am noticing that after switching the indicator to M, if I press the camera's front shutter button up to half, instead of "AF On" button, I get the same result, that is green corners showing and it has focused. Maybe I'm wrong?

Two days ago I bought the ProGrade Digital card reader online for CFexpress Type B and SD UHS-II dual Slot USB 3.2 Gen 2 cards. But after 2 days the card reader stopped working and I sent it back. Now I have to buy a new card reader again.
Do you have a reader to recommend?
Thanks
Old April 13th, 2022, 08:07 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Yes. Either will work.

That is the card reader I bought so not sure what to suggest for you. It has worked great for me so far. What happened to it? What did you have it plugged into on your PC ?
Old April 13th, 2022, 08:35 AM   #7
Major Player

I had connected it to the desktop computer, with which I do video editing. From day one it was never possible to remove the CFexpress Type B card with the "safe removal" option and I had to forcibly remove it. Instead the SD could be removed without problems.
But after 2 days the rard reader stopped working with CFexpress Type B. It no longer read the memory card.
I think I will buy it again, because it worked fast.
Old April 13th, 2022, 01:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi, I would like to start using the V-Log well with my GH6. I have already done some tests and it seems a good profile for my doc anche that give me some satisfaction. But I don't know if my GH6 settings are right.
Now I write my settings:

3840x1260 50p
4:2:2 / 10bit / AlLL-I, LPCM 600 Mbps
ISO 800
Luminance 0-1023
Do you think something needs to be changed?

Is the Edius 9 Lut by default good, or is there something better?
Thank you for your welcome advice because I have never used V-Log and I would like to learn better from someone who has more experience than me.
THANK YOU again.

EDIT: In your opinion is it better to choose Angle/ISO in the GH6 Menu?
Attached Thumbnails
Pana GH6: problem with AF-lut.jpg   Pana GH6: problem with AF-gh60.jpg  

Pana GH6: problem with AF-gh6.jpg  

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; April 14th, 2022 at 11:19 AM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2022, 12:04 PM   #9
Inner Circle

All i will result in much bigger files but maybe easier to edit. However for you that would mean using 3 times the number of cards when you travel compared to 4:2:2 10bit LongGOP at 200 Mbps. I think your computer will play those 4:2: 2 10bit files? Try first. Personally I have moved to using Resolve as I find on my PC it is much better. I use colour management in Resolve so no need to use a VLog Lut's at all. Of course PCC in EDIUS does not use a Lut either but corrrect the color space like Resolve but for me not as well. Turn on the internal Vlog lut for the LCD so that you can see what the end image will look like.

It is personal view of if you set angle/iso. If you are switching frame rates often, especially slow frame rates, it is handy. Personally I always shoot 60P so I usually leave sec/gain .

I would learn from looking at some YouTube videos and using yourself as Vlog is not straight forward to use and will need you to pay attention to exposure levels maybe a lot more than you do now.
Old April 14th, 2022, 01:01 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
I would learn from looking at some YouTube videos and using yourself as Vlog is not straight forward to use and will need you to pay attention to exposure levels maybe a lot more than you do now.
I would really like to find something on the Internet/youtube to understand how V-Log is handled with Edius. I'd like to see some examples of how to manage colors. But on youtube there is NOT anything or almost nothing about Edius and V-Log. What a shame. I would like to learn how to use Edius 9 better but I don't know where to look.
Old April 14th, 2022, 01:45 PM   #11
Inner Circle

EDIUS converts fine by just applying PCC filter to clip. Nothing else to do. The rest you may want to do is just like any normal corrections to levels or colour you may want to apply. More important is how you expose for Vlog when shooting. I believe there is a lot of videos on shooting Vlog. Just look. You do not want to under expose as when you bring the levels up you will have noise in the shadows if you have under exposed.

Dealing with Vlog files is a lot easier than shooting Vlog.
Old April 23rd, 2022, 02:51 AM   #12
Major Player

Hello, I need to ask 2 questions please:

1) Could you tell me which option among Exp. Mod. is better for me shooting in V-Log? I don't shoot landscapes, I only shoot the work and daily life of the people in their villages and above all outside.
Look at the pic please:
https://i.postimg.cc/7LNQdBK8/Cattura-gh6.jpg

2) I have just read that the GH6 also works with a USB cable to be powered by a PowerBank. I tested with a powerful 6.800mAh PowerBank which has 2 USB ports, one 1A and the other 2.1A. It's this:

I removed the battery from the GH6 and then connected it to the PowerBank with the cable from the USB port which is the output of the PowerBank. I tried to turn the GH6 on but nothing happend and it is off. Can you tell me why?
Thanks
Old April 23rd, 2022, 06:01 AM   #13
Inner Circle

If you had watched all Steve Litton's videos you would have seen the correct Powerbank. The battery must also be in the camera to work.

Old April 23rd, 2022, 06:17 AM   #14
Inner Circle

This is the one from Anker Powercore + https://us.anker.com/collections/pow...438551752854l]
Old April 23rd, 2022, 07:59 AM   #15
Major Player

To tell the truth, I've watched some of those interesting videos. But since English is not my mother tongue, unfortunately I make a huge effort to understand and sometimes I don't understand well, even if I activate the translation in my language.

However, if I connect my PowerBank to the GH6, the red LED lights up and this means that it is working and transmitting the charge to the battery. Even turning on the GH6 I see the normal charging message. But I don't know if my PowerBank works fine and if it can fully charge the battery. I could give it a try before writing this message, but I'm afraid of ruining the battery. Could you/anyone tell me if my PowerBank can work properly? I do not know the various powerful in Watts or Ah well.
In other words, can I recharge the battery using my PoverBank? It's this:

Thank you!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series