Pana GH6: problem with AF - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 26th, 2022, 05:57 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Pana GH6: problem with AF

Yes you can shoot 5.7K 50P then edit in HD. EDIUS allows you to change resolution but not frame rate. When you finish editing in HD change project settings to UHD then export. Make sure any titles or graphics still align correctly.

That is exactly what I am doing. I have always shot 3840x2160 on the GH5 and GH5S but edit and deliver in 1920x1080. Gives me the ability to pan/scan around the image in editing.

GH6 shoots VFR for effect I would not use normally for what you do. The intent is to shoot at faster frame rate and slow down for slow motion effect. Yes the video quality can suffer depending on how fast. Doesn't make it easier on the computer maybe the opposite.

The main use for that AF light I think is when the scene is dark. I do not think it important for daylight when you have the ND on the lens. I would not trust AF when its dark anyway. Use punch in to check manually the focus.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2022, 06:55 AM   #32
Major Player

Two final questions please. You know AF is very important to me. I have configured the GH6 only by choosing the HUMAN subject detection (the face / eyes are off in the Menu). I set the AF button to "S", then I very slowly press the record button to focus. Look at the pic please. When I shoot I always see some tinkling of Autofocus in all the clips. In other words, the image goes out of focus for a tenth of a second. It's innavertibile on the GH6's small LCD monitor, but I've seen many of these out of focus. Even today I took a wide angle shot at the public gardens and I ran into this problem seeing the clip on the monitor in post. Do you think I can solve this problem by configuring some other option in the Menu?

I've been using the V-Log a lot these days. I do a lot of tests but one thing is not clear to me.
I put the ISO in AUTO. Also in this way I always have to increase the exposure by almost two stops, or does the GH6 do it automatically and choose the right exposure for the V-Log?
THANK YOU
Attached Thumbnails
Pana GH6: problem with AF-af.jpg  
Old April 26th, 2022, 08:35 AM   #33
Inner Circle

As you know I do not use continuous auto focus at all. I set the lever in M. But I do use the AF On button to set the focus and check with expanded focus ( magnification in center of screen ) with also peaking on so can see those things that are in focus. So not sure I can help you with Auto focus.

As to exposure. If you use auto iso then you will need to use exposure compensation button and increase about 1.5 to 2 ev when shooting Vlog. You need to experiment yourself to find what you are happy with. Also depends on the metering you have selected as that will change how the camera responds and then how much compensation is needed. No, the camera does not do it for you. You have to decide how to expose. Learn to use waveforms and zebras. That way you can decide if you are prepared to over expose highlight to get the shadow detail you want. If you are not prepared to learn this then using Vlog is not for you and you will be better off using Cine D, Flat or even Like 709. You will still need to use the exposure metering that best suites you scenes though.
Old April 29th, 2022, 07:04 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Yes. Either will work.

That is the card reader I bought so not sure what to suggest for you. It has worked great for me so far. What happened to it? What did you have it plugged into on your PC ?
Hello Ron,
I have problems with ProGrade Digital reader type B again. I bought 2 weeks abot that reader and it died after 2 days of use. I bought this player again but I'm afraid I ran into another faulty reader In fact every time I try to use "Safely Remove Hardware" icon, a window tells me "Device currently in use" .... etc. etc, and it is impossible to remove it. I have to remove the CFexpress card forcibly and with the yellow light active on the reader. I have Windows 10. Can you tell me if you have the same problem? Even if with Win 10 there should be no forced removal problems, I will send the reader back. Can you tell me if you also have the same problem with CFexpress cards? With the SD the reader is fine.
Yes, I plug the reader to my PC by USB3 port.
Look the pics please.
Thanks

PS.Do you still have no problems with this reader? It seems incredible to me that a reader of that price has this problem.
This happens to me even if I don't open the CFexpress card and as soon as I insert it into the reader. I have usually never had these problems with SD in the past time.
Attached Thumbnails
Pana GH6: problem with AF-pro.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; April 29th, 2022 at 07:59 AM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2022, 09:40 AM   #35
Inner Circle

The reader works fine on both my PC and my new M1 Studio Max. You may need to check that the USB C interface on you PC is the correct one for the reader. It requires a USB C 3.2 Gen 2 interface to work 10Gbps.
Old April 29th, 2022, 10:18 AM   #36
Major Player

But you know that the ProGrade Digital reader type B reader is equipped with a cable with a USB C 3.2 end and a USB2 on the other that must be inserted into the USB2 port of the PC. Should I buy a new cable?
Old April 29th, 2022, 10:34 AM   #37
Inner Circle

I get this "Device currently in use" message from time to time and usually it's because explorer or even my chrome browser is still open, as soon as I close everything then the usb device also safely disconnects.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2022, 10:51 AM   #38
Major Player

Now I just took a test. I restarted the PC and did not open anything. I immediately inserted the CFexpress into the slot of the reader and tried to eject it correctly. But I always have the same problem and with the same message. CANNOT extract it correctly. It is the second reader I buy and the other one also had the same problem. After 2 days it stopped working and I sent it back.
If you were me what would you do? Would you send it to the sender?
Old April 29th, 2022, 10:56 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
But you know that the ProGrade Digital reader type B reader is equipped with a cable with a USB C 3.2 end and a USB2 on the other that must be inserted into the USB2 port of the PC. Should I buy a new cable?
It is not a USB 2 connector it is a USB 3 tape A connector. It will not work in a USB 2 port. USB 3 has blue spacer and USB 2 has black spacer. As Noa says . Make sure nothing else is open. Also the Reader comes with both types of cable so you should have both. USB c to USB c and USB C to USB tape A.
Old April 29th, 2022, 11:04 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
It is not a USB 2 connector it is a USB 3 tape A connector. It will not work in a USB 2 port. USB 3 has blue spacer and USB 2 has black spacer.
I'm sorry, I did an typing error. I know perfectly well which is the USB2 and USB3 cable.
If ProGrade give you a USB3 cable, it HAS to work in a USB3 port of the PC. Is it right?

Quote:
As Noa says . Make sure nothing else is open. Also the Reader comes with both types of cable so you should have both. USB c to USB c and USB C to USB tape A.
Maybe you didn't read my latest post well. I did a test restarting the PC and without opening anything, I immediately inserted the CFexpress in the slot of the reader, but I get the same problem.

I also tried the other cable with the 2 USB C connectors because my PC has also those ports, but I get the same problem. I'm afraid the reader is defective again this time.

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; April 29th, 2022 at 11:43 AM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2022, 01:40 PM   #41
Inner Circle

That would be a big coincidence that 2 new readers are malfunctioning, I'm sure it has something to do with your windows setup, do you have the possibility to test them on another pc?
Old April 29th, 2022, 01:42 PM   #42
Inner Circle

I have now tried both the USB C connector and the USB A connector on all my PC's ( I have 5 PC's and one MAC ) It works on all of them but only in the USB 3 connector. I think there is something wrong with your PC connection. Or you are plugging in to a USB 2 port. Make sure you Windows in up to date especially the drivers.
Old April 29th, 2022, 01:44 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Or try different usb ports, on my old pc the front usb ports sometimes did not work correctly either, only those directly connected to the motherboard on the backside of the pc.
Old April 29th, 2022, 02:18 PM   #44
Major Player

Yes, I tried even with another different computer with USB3 port, but I get the same problem.
Old April 29th, 2022, 02:21 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
I have now tried both the USB C connector and the USB A connector on all my PC's ( I have 5 PC's and one MAC ) It works on all of them but only in the USB 3 connector. I think there is something wrong with your PC connection. Or you are plugging in to a USB 2 port. Make sure you Windows in up to date especially the drivers.
I used all my USB 3 ports and even another computer (laptop) with USB3 port, but I get the same problem. I don't know if also this reader is defective.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series