Lumix GH6 - Why bother if you're Apple? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 19th, 2022, 06:24 AM   #1
Major Player

Lumix GH6 - Why bother if you're Apple?

I currently own a pair of GH5s . Quite happy with them but do like the look of the GH6. BUT I'm an Apple user so all that 10 bit capability rather distant given that Quicktime is stuck in the past and essential to me to be able to quickly view/delete/file clips.

I make short simple movies for YouTube and occasional longer movies to show to local wildlife groups. Former via stringing a few clips together via Quicktime, latter via FCPX.

How can I access the GH6 10 bit capabilities? Buy a Windows computer? (I'm currently on a 5K 27inch IMac plus an elderly MBP which also due for a replacement.)

Is there the remotest possibility that Apple may update Quicktime? After all, can't be that difficult given that e.g. VLC can play 10 bit clips for free.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2022, 08:27 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Lumix GH6 - Why bother if you're Apple?

What are you talking about? Most media professionals work on Macs, do you think we are all working in 8-bit? I'm on a Mac and everything is I do is at least 10-bit and sometimes 12 or 16. In fact, ProRes is always 10-bit. All ProRes files playback just fine in QuickTime on all my Macs. There's no reason your iMac can't work with 10-bit files.
Old May 19th, 2022, 10:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You can get a demo version of Final Cut Pro. Easy to use and handles 10 bit with no issues. You could also check iMovie to see if it does 10 bit.
Old May 20th, 2022, 01:15 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
What are you talking about? Most media professionals work on Macs, do you think we are all working in 8-bit? I'm on a Mac and everything is I do is at least 10-bit and sometimes 12 or 16. In fact, ProRes is always 10-bit. All ProRes files playback just fine in QuickTime on all my Macs. There's no reason your iMac can't work with 10-bit files.

So it's as simple as that - record ProRes and Quicktime will play the files straight off?

You may have just "cost" me 2000 quid!

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2022, 02:43 PM   #5
Vortex Media

Ronald, I was helping a client trouble shoot a problem with their Macs today where they were not being able to read certain codecs in DaVinci Resolve that we had just installed. It turned out that installing this Pro Video Formats package from Apple solved the problem. This package affects more than just Resolve, so it occurred to me that may be this is your problem as well. I hope it helps.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2050?locale=en_US

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series