A good variable ND filter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old June 7th, 2022, 07:23 AM   #1
Major Player

A good variable ND filter?

Hello, does anyone know how to recommend a good variable ND filter that makes you lose the minimum of definition and that gives the minimum of color cast? I am now using the SLR Magic Reflex 62mm 0.4-1.8 variable ND Filter, but yesterday I lost both the front and rear lens caps. I don't know if I will buy a VND filter again or a solid ND filter.

OUT OF CURIOSITY: in your opinion,does a good VND filter or a mediocre/decent solid ND filter give better video quality?
Thank you

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; June 7th, 2022 at 11:57 PM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2022, 09:27 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: A good variable ND filter?

Adriano, you may have seen this as I think you may have watched it through earlier posts. I tried both the Peter McKinnon Polar Pro and the Freewell VNDs and finally settled on the Freewell not because of price alone but because of the price/performance ratio. Technically I could see no difference in the color cast, which was very minimal at worst. I preferred the adjustment tension on the Freewell filters best as they were more resistant to accidental adjustment should you rub up against a filter ring when moving around. Their magnetic caps are also really good.

Chris Young

All shot with the Freewell Variable NDs

A review opf the Freewell VNDs

FREEWELL 2-5 & 6-9 Stop Variable ND filters
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2022, 12:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Dear Christofer, thanks for your pleasant reply.
Yes, I had seen your video, but I don't think you can appreciate the quality of a video posted on Internet. There is compression. However with my GH5 I have always used the VND SLR Magic Reflex filter, which is one of the best for that price. The bad problem you notice with a VND is at high intensities. If you use it at low intensity, you get fair results. Watching a video shot with a VND filter it looks good enough, but when you compare it to the same video shot without the VND filter on a large monitor, you see the difference. I can't see the difference only when I shoot with a solid ND filter (fixed with only one lens). Now I have the GH6, I have made many empirical tests, certainly not professional ones. I have always made the same clip verifying it with filters and without filter.

I came to this conclusion:

In the sunny days I leave a solid ND filter always mounted on my GH6 (with 3 stops). Infact the native ISO of GH6 is low (the base is ISO 250) and with V-Log having to overexpose around 2 stops, you rarely need a filter above 3 stops, even in sunny days. But when you are in the shadows areas, you can raise the ISO. Is this a bad idea?
Old June 12th, 2022, 03:19 AM   #4
Trustee

I understand what you are saying Adriano. I'm finding no noticeable difference in my images with or without the VND filters. Much like you, I'm shooting at lower ISOs like 125-400. Australia's very harsh summer sun is very demanding on cameras and filtration and so I'm monitoring my images on an LG 4K C1 OLED screen. And so far finding no issues with our very high-intensity lighting affecting the image when using these Freewell VNDs.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2022, 04:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Chris, allow me one last question please.
Still keeping an eye on the Waveform and the Zebra, usually when you use the V-Log with the GH6, the clip is generally overexposed by about 1 stop in sunny days?
I am doing some tests and I ask you this because, if I do not overexpose and leave the exposure bar at "0", always checking the Zebra, then I have to lighten all the clips a lot in post. Thanks for clarifying my ideas. I am attaching a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
A good variable ND filter?-editing.jpg  
Old June 19th, 2022, 02:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Hello, allow me to ask the last questions please:
1) I'm buying a new VND filter to put on a Leica 12-60mm (lens of 62mm thread for GH6). How much larger should I buy it to minimize vignetting? I will use it ONLY on that lens and NEVER with other lens. Can I buy a 62mm VND filter or is it better one size larger?
2) Using GH6 in sunny days with V-Log and a added ND, do you like more to shoot at 2000 ISO with Dynamic Range Boost On or to shoot normally with Dynamic Range Boost Off ??
Thank you.

Last edited by Adriano Moroni; June 19th, 2022 at 04:58 AM.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2022, 05:00 AM   #7
Major Player

ERROR ERROR ERROR, I'm sorry. I have problems with Internet.
Old June 19th, 2022, 05:01 AM   #8
Major Player

ERROR ERROR ERROR, I'm sorry. I have problems with Internet.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series