DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Can the HVX200 Record Hi Def. Video to Tape? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/100811-can-hvx200-record-hi-def-video-tape.html)

Brendan Bercik August 7th, 2007 04:28 PM

Can the HVX200 Record Hi Def. Video to Tape?

Or is the tape slot just for the Standard Def. video?

That's all.

Gene Crucean August 7th, 2007 04:55 PM

Nope. Only SD to tape.

Douglas Villalba August 7th, 2007 05:46 PM

Actually it only records DV to tape.

Brendan Bercik August 7th, 2007 07:46 PM

So if I want to shoot in 1080/24p or 720/24p, I can't do it to tape?

Chris Hurd August 7th, 2007 08:16 PM

Nope -- this has been discussed here before, but you have to realize that if it could record DVCPRO HD to tape (DVCPRO HD is the High Definition video format that this camera uses), then it would be much more expensive... incredibly more expensive, in fact. The DVCPRO HD tape transport all by itself costs about $16,000. Part of the idea behind P2 is to avoid the expense of the DVCPRO HD tape transport in the first place... that's why there's no such thing as a P2 camera with a DVCPRO HD tape transport. Plus, the DVCPRO HD tapes themselves are not cheap... roughly they cost about a dollar per minute of recording time.

Panasonic has positioned the HVX200 camcorder as the *least expensive* way to shoot DVCPRO HD. If it actually recorded DVCPRO HD to tape, it would defeat its own purpose and cost about four times more than it does now. But it includes a standard definition DV tape transport should you feel the need to use it -- hope this helps,

Barry Green August 7th, 2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan Bercik (Post 725137)
So if I want to shoot in 1080/24p or 720/24p, I can't do it to tape?

Not to the camera's internal tape deck, no. But if you had access to a DVCPRO-HD tape deck, you could output firewire from the HVX200 and record it on the external tape deck.

Gene Crucean August 7th, 2007 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 725151)
Plus, the DVCPRO HD tapes themselves are not cheap... roughly they cost about a dollar per minute of recording time.

Sooo my P2 cards would have cost me around 8 dollars each :P

Chris Hurd August 7th, 2007 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Crucean (Post 725199)
Sooo my P2 cards would have cost me around 8 dollars each

Only if you plan on using them just one time each.

The more you shoot P2 and re-use the cards, the less expensive those cards become... eventually they pay for themselves, compared to what you would have spent on DVCPRO HD tape.

Brendan Bercik August 8th, 2007 08:54 AM

I really want the HVX (and a job), but P2 seems like a ripoff.

Robert Lane August 8th, 2007 09:09 AM

Brendan,

Since you're new to the forum let me say first, that unlike other forums those who use DVinfo.net are predominantly here to either learn or share, not post *almost* imflammatory remarks.

If P2 were a "rip-off" then hardly anyone would be using the system. While there is no such thing as a perfect, all-for-one camera or system the functionality and usablity of the P2 system including the HVX200 far surpasses anything else in it's class.

There have been and continue to be endless arguements about the cost effectiveness of the P2 media however those debates are waning since card size is increasing while cost is dropping. As Chris pointed out, compared to a DVCPRO tape-based workflow, (2) 8gb cards would have paid for themselves even after only one decent gig when compared to the just cost of DVCPRO tape alone. Not to mention the time savings (less time=more money) from not having to capture all the tape once shot.

I suggest that before you post another near-flame post that you do more research on the system you think is a rip-off; I think you'll find, as many have, that it's not only cost effective but highly scalable and unlike tape or optical-based systems does not limit you to just one or two formats or one type of workflow.

David Saraceno August 9th, 2007 09:57 AM

After using p2 technology for a year, I'd never go back to tape.

In fact, we will be getting a B roll cam - a smaller one. It will be either AVCHD to HDD, or a Red Professional Pocket.

Calling this technology a "rip off" means what?

You can't get a DVCProHD tape based camera for anything less than $40K.

The AJ-HDX400 is a professional 1080i DVCPRO HD camcorder with a list price of $42,500.

For that price you could buy a HVX200 and about 34 hours of recordable p2 cards.

Or two HPX200s with lenses and 420 minutes of recording.

Do your homework.

Phillip Palacios August 10th, 2007 06:15 AM

Sometimes I wish I had bought the H1, mainly because any multicam shoots I go to are using the Canon H1's and then I could charge a camera fee on top of my day rate. But then I look at the the images this camera is capable of and *to me* they are much more visually pleasing. But there are many people out there who like other cameras images better, no one is right or wrong.

HD is expensive, whatever route you take. With P2 it's mainly storage and back-ups, with HDV its faster processors, with uncompressed its huge (relativly) amounts of storage. If you aren't ready to invest the money, just wait. Learn to get the best images you are able to using the equipment you have, so when you finally do make the move your on top of the heap.

Cody Foltz September 2nd, 2007 11:31 PM

So I purchased the HVX and now it's either go with P2 or get an FS100 to record DVCPHD, what's the better route?

Jon Fairhurst September 3rd, 2007 12:21 AM

Short form or rough conditions: P2.

Long form and mild conditions: Firestore.

Barry Green September 3rd, 2007 03:52 PM

32GB cards are due in November. When they're out, the FireStore looks to become more of an afterthought.