DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   How to transfer P2 CONTENTS folder back to P2 card? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/104606-how-transfer-p2-contents-folder-back-p2-card.html)

Simon Sommerfeld September 29th, 2007 01:26 AM

How to transfer P2 CONTENTS folder back to P2 card?

Hi P2 experts,

I have a P2 LASTCLIP.TXT file and corresponding CONTENTS folder residing on my G5 that has a corrupt clip in it. I would like to transfer the data back to an 8GB P2 card in the HVX and try to repair the clip in the camera. I've searched high and low for info on how to do this but have come up blank. Can someone please give me a rundown on the procedure?

Relevant Info:
1. We tried to repair the clip during the shoot but were unsuccessful. I had to get the data off the card to keep shooting.
2. The clip was corrupted from a battery failure during recording
3. The clip originated from an 8GB card the same camera I want to transfer back to.
4. I've connected the HVX to the G5 via 1394 and can see the NO NAME volume from the camera on my desktop.
5. When I drag the contents and LAST CLIP.TXT file over to the NO NAME volume only the folders (AUDIO, CLIP etc) are transferred but none of the contents. ie. they transfer empty.
6. The LASTCLIP.TXT file isn't transferred either, but I believe this is normal.

Many thanks,

Simon.

Barry Green September 29th, 2007 10:03 AM

Once again, a Mac issue. On Windows it's a no-brainer, you just drag 'n' drop, but for some reason the Mac OS seems to prevent this.

I believe you're supposed to be able to do it if you use P2CMS. I think you can copy and paste from P2CMS to the card, or "export" to the card.

It may be possible to do it through Finder if you copy and paste, but not through drag 'n' drop, but you'll have to try.

Simon Sommerfeld September 29th, 2007 10:10 AM

Hey, thanks for the reply Barry. I loaded P2CMS last night and tried an export to the card but no-go, darn it. Message says the contents of the card cannot be modified or some such. Will try copy and paste and also using Finder as you suggest.
Next stop will be to hijack my wife's work PC laptop and give that a go.

Many thanks,
Simon

David Saraceno September 29th, 2007 10:34 AM

Raylight for the Mac should be implementing this feature this next week.

Simon Sommerfeld September 29th, 2007 11:20 AM

Thanks, David. I'll check it out.
Best,
Simon

Marcus van Bavel October 5th, 2007 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Saraceno (Post 751861)
Raylight for the Mac should be implementing this feature this next week.

We've released Raylight for Mac 2.0 that has the P2 authoring feature.

The process is you export a quicktime from FCP into a special folder and then Raylight (in its background scan mode) converts it to a P2 Card image or writes the MXF files directly to the card. You can also drag the Quicktime into Raylight to start the process.

By the way you have to use the USB2 connection to the Mac to be able to write to a P2 card on the camera from the Mac. We've tested this with Raylight/Mac and it seems to work reliably. After you have updated the card I would write-protect it with the tab before using any other software.

Simon Sommerfeld October 5th, 2007 01:03 PM

Thanks for the info, Marcus. That sounds like a very useful feature.
Thanks also for the USB2.0 tip.

Question:
Can Raylight move "original" MXF data back to a P2 card in the camera? (i.e. not data that FCP has exported). This is important because corrupt MXF data typically cannot be converted to QuickTime media and thus never makes it into FCP.
What I need to do is move corrupt MXF data back to the P2 card in order to attempt a Repair Clip proceedure. Will Raylight be able to do this?

Cheers,
Simon.

Marcus van Bavel October 5th, 2007 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Sommerfeld (Post 754857)
Thanks for the info, Marcus. That sounds like a very useful feature.
Thanks also for the USB2.0 tip.

Question:
Can Raylight move "original" MXF data back to a P2 card in the camera? (i.e. not data that FCP has exported). This is important because corrupt MXF data typically cannot be converted to QuickTime media and thus never makes it into FCP.
What I need to do is move corrupt MXF data back to the P2 card in order to attempt a Repair Clip proceedure. Will Raylight be able to do this?

Cheers,
Simon.

Have you tried importing the corrupt media into FCP using Raylight?

If Raylight cannot do it then the camera will not be able to help you.

If you do get part of the shot with raylight, then the resulting Raylight
link can be converted back to a full P2 Card image. You do not need FCP to do that.