HVX200 Settings used for Green Screen - Shutter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old September 29th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #1
Major Player

HVX200 Settings used for Green Screen - Shutter?

Whats the best shutter settings when shooting Green Screen with the HVX200? I've heard and currently experimenting with different shutter speeds and capture settings.

Currently I'm shooting a show which requires some Green Screen and I'm trying to achive the best keying possible. I'm very aware of jaggies and interlacing from past experience. I'm tyring to reduce or elimate those artifacts when keying in FCP 6 or AE 7 Pro with keylight.

HVX200 Settings:

Currently I'm shooting in 1080i with direct capture to P2 cards. Exposure settings, Iris 5.6, Shutter 60 and the subject is about 10 feet from the camera framing from waist to the top of there head with space.

The footage will then be used in a Betacam 8-bit Uncompressed timeline. I'm looking at getting the lceanist possible key, I've heard some times shooting in a certain shutter spped helps reduce those artifacts that you may get when trying to key someone. What settings are people using to shoot the best possible green screen footage.

Note shooting in 1080i so that its available for future use incase the show goes to HD. Also I'm hoping the qaulity will hold up upon key in an "SD" timeline.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jeff Zimmerman; September 29th, 2007 at 03:23 PM.
Jeff Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Major Player

I like 720 for green screen.

Here is something I just finished 720X486 under 3 MBs

http://www.mediafire.com/?6bq2q1jzgyy
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the sample. Looks great. Since posting on the forum I have found a couple of good facts about shooting green screen. Below is a few things I found out for those looking for answers in the future or a starting point anyway.

First shot in the high possbile quality. For me it was DVCPro HD 1080i. Second light your green screen evenly and then light your subject normally. Blocking any outside or uncontrolled light will help the seperation of your subject from the green screen. From the information I found online a shutter speed of 60 seems to be the most popular and has worked for me. Know your keying application in and out. I used Final Cut Pro and found that the keyer does a good job but needs a 4:2:2 Color smoothing filter to really give it that clean look. It helped the color space of the DVCPro HD footage in creating a smooth matte from the key.

And when in doubt research it out. This forum has been more than helpful, but still doing a google search and maybe buying a book can really go along way. One site in particular was www.kenstone.net and to fourm users here. I don't take credit in knowing this information or being an expert just rather someone who had a question and this is the answer I found.

Thanks,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders