HVX200a at InterBEE Tokyo? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old October 25th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #16
Barry Wan Kenobi

They could be, and that would be interesting to see. But if I was to bet, I'd say that their energies are more likely to be spent on lower cost models.

They overhauled their mid range two years ago. This year they overhauled their high-end range. In the meantime the low end is looking pretty long in the tooth... they only have one tiny HD model below the HVX in their whole lineup, the rest is all standard-def (DVC30, DVC60, DVX). I expect we'll see more action in the low-cost arena before we see another mid-range model.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:32 AM   #17
Trustee

Barry,

I would be giving reports on InteBEE, my booth is right behind Panasonic,

Should have some actions going.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:48 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bansbach View Post
That could mean that Panasonic is concentrating on a new, sub-$10K model.
If they want to keep up, they need to be!

1/2" chips under $7,000 with full 1080 resolution makes the HVX-200 look like a second place camera.

Sony has created a family of cameras where you could get big ones and small ones and they will offer similar output, great for a migration to HD.

Panasonic offers this as well, but the big ones have a better image than it's little brother, and the small one offers some compromises.

I use Panasonic cameras right now and would like to continue, but I have to give the nod to Sony right now.

If I buy the HPX500, the HVX200 as a second or third camera IMHO is not quite up to keeping with the HPX500.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:10 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Tim,

What I don't understand is why we even have the HPX 500. To me it is only slightly better than the HVX 200. (please don't yell at me if your happy with it I'm happy for you but it just didn't work for what I needed).

Now if Panasonic had taken the HDX 900 (which I have always thought was a great camera), dropped the tape transport, and reworked the case for P2 cards that would have been the deal. That setup could have ruled that section of the market.

K
Kyle Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:15 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I agree,

I use the DVC-200 1/2" chip SD camera.

I would love for the HPX500 to be this camera in HD, but it is not.

The DVC-200 cost $8,000 with a decent lens, the HPX500 costs over $20,000 with a decent lens.

To me, the idea of uprezzed chips that Panasonic has stayed with will or do look long in the tooth compared to other cameras.

That makes the 500 look like a transitional tech camera.

If I need to spend over $20,000 on a camera and lens, I would want the chips to be full resolution, especially if there is a camera with full rez decent sized chips for $7,000.

There are plenty of people who dislike Sony and believe Panasonic has often offered better value, but I think Panasonic is a bit behind right now.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:15 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito View Post
Barry,

I would be giving reports on InteBEE, my booth is right behind Panasonic,

Should have some actions going.
Kaku Ill come see you. I am not 100% of day I am going though. But Ill defientely pop in. If youve got your HPX on hand Ill grab some footage of pana with a pana
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 01:40 AM   #22
Trustee

Great, so we can do online broadcast report from Musetex.
Thanks Noel, and see you on this Saturday, too.
Old November 1st, 2007, 09:43 AM   #23
Trustee

As Barry mentioned, Panasonic will release something in the lower priced range. It is called AG-HMC75, shoulder mounted AVCHD camcorder.
Takes 160 minutes of video on 16GB SD card and it has XLR audio inputs.
Priced 300k yen.

(Information provided from Pontaro at H/DVX Fan site)
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #24
Major Player

off subject but ...

Is Red Camera going to be at InterBee Tokyo. It says so on their site but doesn't list the company at the InterBee Tokyo site?
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:36 AM   #25
Trustee

They probably demo at the Apple booth. I know Ted is coming.
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #26
Major Player

My wish is for Pana to drop the tape drive unit off the HVX202 and just concentrate on P2 recording. You have a lighter camera.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:10 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TingSern Wong View Post
My wish is for Pana to drop the tape drive unit off the HVX202 and just concentrate on P2 recording. You have a lighter camera.
I like the tape drive -- I consider it an emergency backup. If only it could record hdv or something...
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #28
Major Player

Tape is only good for SD. I use the HVX202 as a HD camera all the time (if I need only SD - I will go back for my Canon XL2) - hence, the tape unit won't be of any use to me.

Also, tapes are fragile. I have tapes wound up on capstans before - shooting in subzero temperatures. The P2 card poses no such problems (and have posted it elsewhere - that at -15deg C, the camera was still functioning perfectly).
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TingSern Wong View Post
Tape is only good for SD. I use the HVX202 as a HD camera all the time (if I need only SD - I will go back for my Canon XL2) - hence, the tape unit won't be of any use to me.

Also, tapes are fragile. I have tapes wound up on capstans before - shooting in subzero temperatures. The P2 card poses no such problems (and have posted it elsewhere - that at -15deg C, the camera was still functioning perfectly).
I'm talking about an emergency, not for regular use (if the P2 functions stopped working for whatever in the middle of a job). I'd rather have an SD backup than nothing at all.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 04:50 PM   #30
Major Player

Didn't InterBee just end? Any news???
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders