HVx200 Tape system at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 4th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HVx200 Tape system

I am only put of buying one because of the horror stories of tape transport systems I have read elsewhere.

What makes this a sensible camera for me is the ability to still shoot DV until cards come down in price and HD really takes off.

Have any of you taken a lot of DV footage with the HVX200?
How many hours is the head system good for?
Alan Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Major Player

One of our HVX at work has been used daily with DV tapes for quite a while now. It hasn't been treated too nicely, I can say that for sure (rough eng usage, often used by fairly unexperienced people, also with tapes re-used multiple times)
It has yet to show any problems other than a dirty head, which is normal for tape systems, and which went away after head cleaning. I'll see if I can look into the menu tomorrow and give you the exact number of hours.
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks very much for that Heiko.....you know yourself the dilema in trying to decide the best camera.

It is between the HVX and the EX1 for me.

the numbers would give a good indicator.
Alan Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Our oldest HVX200 has 1378 drum hours (in words: one thousand three hundred and seventy eight) and still no problems. As I said before, this is with rough treatment and tapes re-used over and over...

I just looked up the EX1 - it's a very nice camera... 1/2" chips, the lens seems to be pretty good (with a full manual focus mode and an iris wheel - wow!). But as far as I understand it, it won't shoot SD at all.
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot for that info......really gives me a good comparison from which to choose.
Alan Waters is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders