Bad Random pixel hits on HVX - any Post Fix? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 8th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #1
Trustee

Bad Random pixel hits on HVX - any Post Fix?

I have just discovered an awful problem in my HVX .
I am getting random hits that look like flashing white pixels that appear in a smalll circular area in the upper part of the picture. The hits seem to stay within a small circular area and are random but seem to come in bursts every few seconds.

I only see it in playback off my 16G cards, and it does not appear on footage recorded of color bars, so I suspect it is an imaging system problem not a P2 issue. It does not appear on SD tape footage. I have only looked at 720 24PN fotage.

In looking back , the problem seems like it has been steadily getting worse over a period of a few weeks but only just got discovered and is now very bad.

I will call Panasonic tomorrow, but am wondering if anyone has seen this before, and if anyone knows of a Post fix (analagous to a time base corrector) for random pixel hits that can replace them with adjacent pixels.

In the most important footage it is in interviews often on someones shirt or a background that is not moving a great deal. (After flipping adapter footage it ends up in the lower left on a shirt or background)

- Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #2
Trustee

On closer examination they're not just single pixels but groups of them like little flashes of lightening often clumped in horizontal & vertical groups.
Old November 10th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Pixel Farm's "Clean" and Autodesk's "Lustre" have dirt and scratch removal tools. They are typically used for film restoration, film-outs and for DI work. Pretty powerful stuff. Either one should fix your problem. Check with a post house that does film work. They'll probably want the footage in a file sequence, such as .dpx, .tiff or .targa.
Bill Sepaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks,
Those are expensive programs though. I found an FCP plugin that seems to do the job called "dirt remover" from chv-plugins.com.
Inexpensive and effective. Camera had to go back to Panny though. Odd that I've never heard of anyone else with that problem. Its very weird.
Old November 10th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #5
New Boot

If you transferring your cards using a Mac, make sure you have the protect tab on the card switched to protect before you let your Mac any where near the card. Sometimes the computer can cause small glitches in the footage that is fine on the card before transfer.
Tony Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #6
Trustee

I always write protect my cards. This is a real problem with the camera.
It's not a P2 problem either as I don't get it from bars. Panny thought it might be a bad codec board or something similar.

It was so subtle at first that I didn't see it for awhile. Very disturbing.
Keep your eyes open and look at playback carefully - that's my lesson.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders