compatability at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 15th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

compatability

I am very interested in the HVX and have a question about HD in general i guess.....EX- if I shoot a football game in HD on the HVX, it cant be shown on a dvd in HD right? Does it need to be converted to standard def? Is is a better image downconverted from HD or just plain SD? Formats are just so confusing to me. Does it truly look better if shown on a non HD source and how does it affect file type? any thoughts would be great, thanks!
Mark Tarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #2
Regular Crew

No, you can't show on SD dvd, needs to be a HD-DVD or Blu-ray DVD. You CAN downconvert to SD & put on SD DVD.

During downconvert you'd either:
1] scale & crop sides to fit 4:3
2] scale & letterbox top & bottom to fit original 16:9 into 4:3
3] scale to fit entire 16:9 into 4:3, telling the mpeg-2 compression software and the dvd authoring software the video is "anamorphic 16:9 SD". This method stretches the video out to fit a 16:9 monitor on playback.
#3 is my favorite.

Yes, it looks better from HD.
Bob Woodhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #3
Major Player

You can author a HD DVD using red laser dye DVDs out of DVD SP 4.1.2 or later that can be played on Toshiba HD DVD set tops.

I also create SD DVDs using HVX200 footage and encode in Compressor on a Mac. Look fabulous out HDMI,
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Is there someplace that can give a list of steps as to exporting and downconverting? I played with compressor a bit but it is quite confusing sometimes. So for example, I shoot some HD footage and want it on a dvd looking best quality possible. What settings and steps to I take to ensure that happens?
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

With Final Cut Pro (new version)....sorry
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Tarman View Post
Is there someplace that can give a list of steps as to exporting and downconverting? I played with compressor a bit but it is quite confusing sometimes. So for example, I shoot some HD footage and want it on a dvd looking best quality possible. What settings and steps to I take to ensure that happens?
Export from a DVCProHD timeline QT/Current Settings/audio and video/self contained.

Take that file and drop it into the pane.

Elect the 16:9 standard definition DVD preset consistent with the length of video in minutes. Elect Dolby2 audio.

Encode.

Take the m2v video and ac3 audio files and author in DVD SP 4.x
David Saraceno is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders