Outputting into my SD 4x3 monitor, please advise. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 14th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Outputting into my SD 4x3 monitor, please advise.

I'm renting an HVX200 this week and I need to clarify the video signal outputs I can get from this camera. Hope someone can help.

Shooting HD. Would like to output to my good old Sony 4x3 standard def monitor if I can. It's just for my needs... no client present.

Will this camera convert HD to SD and output a "squeezed" 16x9 image into a 4x3 signal. That is, give me full width 16x9 on my 4x3 monitor (with black bars top and bottom) using the composite input?

Thanks!
Old January 14th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm not sure on the SD side, but when you're in P2 mode, you can change the Video Out from 1080i, 720p or 480i. That will let it send an SD signal over composite or component to your monitor.

I don't think it can tell your monitor to go 16x9 though. Is it a sony production monitor? If so, those have 16x9 buttons, mine does.
Jason Boyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #3
Major Player

No need. Just plug a composite cable into the HVX202 and that's it. Camera can be recording in HD - the composite signal is always in SD.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

But the HVX200 doesn't have aspect ratio conversion on its SD output. When you shoot HD, you're shooting 16:9, so the downconverted output will also be 16:9. When displayed on a 4:3 monitor it's going to look stretched out. If you have a 16:9 switch on your monitor, you're good to go. If you don't have a 16:9 switch, you're going to see it stretched.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Agreed. It all depends on the capability of his existing SD monitor - my SD monitor can go either 4:3 or 16:9 - so, it can be used as stated (output via composite through HVX202).
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Major Player

My monitor has no 16x9 switch... 1984 vintage.

When you say stretched you mean top and bottom, correct.

The left and right sides will still be within the borders of the monitor's frame... I will see the entire width, correct?

BTW: This is the HVX-200... not 202 as some are referring to.
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Actually, "squeezed" should be the more appropriate way to describe the image. No black top & bottom - the HVX202 don't generate that. It just assume the monitor is able to show 16:9 correctly (the natural perspective of HD). On my BTLH80W, if I set it to 4:3 - the picture is truncated left and right - only the centre portion is shown. I doubt your LCD monitor is able to do that.

I don't think there is a difference between HVX202 and HVX200 as far as HD is concerned. The 202 is PAL version, whereas 200 is NTSC. Only when you film in SD - then the difference between the models will be apparent.
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #8
Major Player

My monitor is a tube (CRT)... 1984.

I just added a switch to make it 16x9 top and bottom. Simple resistor across the Vertical Size pot pulls the height in top and bottom. With a cross hatch signal you see horizontal blocks instead of squares (4x3).

If I need to pull in the left and right I can do that similarly with the Horizontal Width pot but my factory Underscan switch may be enough. Don't think I will need to as this older monitor does not see 16x9 as anything different (can't see the flag in the signal).

Will test when I pick up the camera this afternoon.
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #9
Major Player

Okay - you let us know the results in that case. Just remember to connect the video to the composite signal output of the HVX200 then. Flag in the signal is only generated by a DVD player. The camera does not do that.
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #10
Major Player

Connected the rental 200 to my 8" Sony 4x3 CRT monitor via the composite output from the camera and, presto, my poormans 16x9 switch works like a charm!

Top and bottom are pulled in to render round items (1600' film reels in this case) round. The slight cropping from the plastic frame of the monitor matches exactly the safe area markers in the viewfinder.

If I select Underscan on the monitor I get the full width left and right with about a 3/16" border. I can live with that.

New life for a 24 year old reliable friend.

Thanks for the help.
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #11
Major Player

Heh George, very happy to hear that. Good for you then.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders