P2 Store Failure at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 31st, 2008, 08:05 PM   #1
Major Player

P2 Store Failure

Hey guys,

I just finished some shooting today and got home to download about 4 8GB cards from my P2Store, but when I connected it to my computer, none of the drives showed up. Launched P2Store Manager and got the following message:

Hard drive malfunction has been detected. Please contact authorized service personnel.

Ouch. Two strange things though:

1. I can still copy cards to the drive. No error messages when I do this.

2. I just upgraded the software on the P2Store to the latest version. This is the first time I have used it since the upgrade.

Anyway, I'm guessing the data is on there, but something else is wrong. Any suggestions? Could I run DiskWarrior and recover the data? Thanks!

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:16 PM   #2
Trustee

before you run disk warrior, you should take it to panasonic. running disk warrior might make the drive unreadible period.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Just curious - what kind of error message would you expect from the P2 Store itself when you copy data in from the cards? There is no LCD on it ... just some LEDs and progress indicator bars.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Some combination of blinking lights ;) In all seriousness, if the hard drive was not functional, I doubt the P2Store would copy and verify a card (which I've tested and it does). So it seems the P2Store is successfully writing data to the hard drive, it just can't get it off there.

This is the first time I've ever had trouble with the P2Store (what a great device it is!) and it only happened after I did a software upgrade on the Store. So.....hopefully it if fixable.

Peter
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Major Player

I suspect it might not be the physical HDD itself ... but the USB interface port - is faulty. You better take it down to Panasonic first before you destroy your data.
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:56 PM   #6
Major Player

I put a P2 card in with data and copied it (using the P2Store as the card reader) no problem, so that probably rules out the faulty USB interface.

Peter
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:01 PM   #7
Major Player

What I meant was - the HDD interface to the USB port ... the input coming in from the P2 Card slot is fine ... but the output from the HDD is faulty.
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:05 PM   #8
Major Player

Gotcha. I will call Panny and see if I can get it fixed.

Peter
Old February 1st, 2008, 03:38 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks for the info.

I'm always concerned that the P2 Store will fail without notice and take an hour's worth of material with it.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:10 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
Thanks for the info.

I'm always concerned that the P2 Store will fail without notice and take an hour's worth of material with it.
Me too. Amazingly, I've been using this P2Store since they first came out, and it's never had a problem. I think it has something to do with the software upgrade. The SMART status on the drive checked out ok just before I upgraded. Anyway, going to call Panny Monday to see what can be done.

Peter
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TingSern Wong View Post
Just curious - what kind of error message would you expect from the P2 Store itself when you copy data in from the cards? There is no LCD on it ... just some LEDs and progress indicator bars.
There are plenty of error messages that the drive can throw. There is a error LED and it plus the other LED's on the case blink or stay steady to give you a code. Reference the manual and you can check what error the P2store has encountered. Has happened to me a couple of times, usually something innocuous and I have never lost footage, still scared me though when it is in the middle of a shoot.

Last edited by Phillip Palacios; February 5th, 2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling....ah!!!
Phillip Palacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:50 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I know when you are planning for a shot, it's hard to keep things straight. But as soon as something new comes up - ie software upgrade, I try to test it before I go on a shoot.

Good luck, let us know the result.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 03:02 AM   #13
Major Player

Peter,

Any updates on your P2 Store failure? Did you managed to get Panny to fix the problem?

Thanks,
TS
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders