If this wasn't a dropout, what is it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 12th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #1
New Boot

If this wasn't a dropout, what is it?

just going through some dvcpro50 footage shot on our hvx200, and noticed what appear to be two frames of dropout or other digital glitches. How can this be? Is there a possibility of some other type of interference in the signal (a power surge or other such interference?)?

see attached screen shot of one of the frames. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
If this wasn't a dropout, what is it?-00184u.jpg  
Clay Showalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Showalter View Post
just going through some dvcpro50 footage shot on our hvx200, and noticed what appear to be two frames of dropout or other digital glitches. How can this be? Is there a possibility of some other type of interference in the signal (a power surge or other such interference?)?

see attached screen shot of one of the frames. Any thoughts?
Do you still have the original .MXF media? (not converted files) Go back and check playback of the original media. It doesn't look like a tape dropout but the media is definitely corrupted. Now the thing to do is to determine if it became corrupted on import/conversion OR if the original media is corrupted.

Let us know.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Trustee

I had something like that on one of the first HVX shoots I ever did. It didn't mess anything up since we weren't going to use that shot anyway so I can't remember if we fixed it by re-importing or if we just let it go and hoped it didn't happen again.
I'd go for the re-import and see what happens.

BTW, was this straight from a card into your computer or had it been transfered to a P2 store or something before import?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Clay - I've seen this once in the last six months shooting DVCPRO HD indoors, and it only occurred on one frame, which I deleted in post.
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #5
New Boot

I haven't had a chance to look back into re-importing the media, but I do have all the original files. This was shot directly on P2, then was offloaded from the camera to our edit system via firewire. It's the only such glitch I've encountered so far with this setup, but I will be trying to track down the cause/source so we aren't caught offguard if this happens again at any point.
Clay Showalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Showalter View Post
I haven't had a chance to look back into re-importing the media, but I do have all the original files. This was shot directly on P2, then was offloaded from the camera to our edit system via firewire. It's the only such glitch I've encountered so far with this setup, but I will be trying to track down the cause/source so we aren't caught offguard if this happens again at any point.
Static on the FireWire connection? Hard drive throughput issue for just a frame or two? Who knows? As long as it's an isolated case, not a biggie. I have never seen that and I have about 400-500 projects under my belt with P2.

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #7
Go Go Godzilla

Clay,

The way to troubleshoot this is if the data is still on the P2 card, then playback that clip directly from the camera out to a large monitor (if you have the ability) or even just the flip-out LCD. If the glitch/dropout is in the clip then there might be a problem with the camera.

If the clip is clean in-camera playback, then it could have happened during transfer to a HDD or even during the conversion process from P2/MXF into whatever format you're editing in.

If the issue is in the original clip then send the camera to your local Panny repair shop. There have been a very few cases where in-camera dropouts like this were noticed and the Panny repair corrected the issue (don't ask what the fix was, I don't remember - they might have simply replaced the camera).
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Are you using a Mac? Because until today, this problem seems only to occure on Mac's. It's not an FCP thing, it's seems to be more of a mac OS thing.

So before download footage from a P2 card always always always ALWAYS write-protect your card first!

Then read this: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=77384

Peter
Peter Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #9
Inner Circle

This is a Hard Disc issue. Don't bother looking for it on your P2, you will not find it. Check for damaged sectors. Run a defrag, or simply re-transfer the original footage.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders