Flip image function on HVX200? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 9th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #1
New Boot

Flip image function on HVX200?

I notice that the LCD screen on my HVX200 will flip automatically if I turn the screen to the "self-portrait" position.

Is there a way to flip the image with the screen in the normal viewing position for use with my DOF adapter?

Thanks,

Michael Azzariti
Director Cameraman
Black Bag Films, Inc.
Michael Azzariti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Michael,

Welcome to the forum.

No, the HVX does not have any flip-image function on the LCD in it's normal position. Many have tried physically modifying the LCD with magnets and even disassembly but those are not recommended.

The best way to handle image-flip with your lens adapter is to use an external monitor that either supports image-flip or just turn it upside down.

Alternatively, one of the best lens adapters for the handheld cameras, the Letus Extreme, now sends the image right-side up into the camera.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #3
New Boot

Thank you Robert, I've been lurking on the list for awhile and this was the first question I had that I couldn't find an answer by searching!

I do have an external monitor that is flippable, but I was just wondering if there was a hack for the on board monitor since it flips anyway for "self portraits".

Thanks,

Michael Azzariti
Director Cameraman
Black Bag Films, Inc.
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM   #4
New Boot

I finally finished installing an image flip switch for the display monitor today. There is in fact a small momentary switch in the pivot base of the monitor that is activated by a cam that is part of the screen pivot. I soldered in two small wires to the traces on the ribbon cable then inlet a small SPST switch into the hinge cover and soldered those connectors. It took a small bit of relieving to the case near the switch to allow full motion of the pivot. I then tacked the switch with cyanoacrylate and touched it all up with a black paint pen.

It doesn't look exactly factory, but it is pretty low profile.

Best of all, with the sliding of that tiny switch, the image in the monitor flips and I can use the monitor for tracking and framing with my DOF adapter.

Regards,

Michael Azzariti
Director Cameraman
Black Bag Films, Inc.
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Azzariti View Post
I finally finished installing an image flip switch for the display monitor today. There is in fact a small momentary switch in the pivot base of the monitor that is activated by a cam that is part of the screen pivot. I soldered in two small wires to the traces on the ribbon cable then inlet a small SPST switch into the hinge cover and soldered those connectors. It took a small bit of relieving to the case near the switch to allow full motion of the pivot. I then tacked the switch with cyanoacrylate and touched it all up with a black paint pen.

It doesn't look exactly factory, but it is pretty low profile.

Best of all, with the sliding of that tiny switch, the image in the monitor flips and I can use the monitor for tracking and framing with my DOF adapter.

Regards,

Michael Azzariti
Director Cameraman
Black Bag Films, Inc.
Your HVX was out of warranty, I hope? Because if it wasn't, it obviously is now ;-)

Sounds like a nice mod.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:00 AM   #6
New Boot

Dan,

It was bought used for a good price, apparently gray market in any case.

So I've taken its future into my hands, as it were...
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Message corrected

Last edited by Yves Fortin; April 23rd, 2008 at 07:52 AM.
Yves Fortin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM   #8
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Fortin View Post
Not really useful, the monitor quality of the HVX200 is poor anyway.
Anyone who's used the HVX knows the LCD/EVF are far from being high-res, but they are absolutely useful and in Michael's case even more-so since he's now able to flip the image upright for his application.

While you're welcome to your opinion, on this forum the types of postings we make here are designed to help or instruct others and at times even guess-in-committee on the future however, simply stating "Not really useful..." is itself a useless statement and does not fit the mission of this forum.

If you have something constructive to say or want to offer alternatives that you have tried yourself, please feel free to join in the conversation, but your post is too close to being a "smack-down" of another members attempt to make his shooting experience more "useful". Be helpful or watchful, not spiteful.

Last edited by Robert Lane; April 23rd, 2008 at 01:39 PM.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:42 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
Anyone who's used the HVX knows the LCD/EVF are far from being high-res, but they are absolutely useful and in Michael's case even more-so since he's now able to flip the image upright for his application.

While you're welcome to your opinion, on this forum the types of postings we make here are designed to help or instruct others, and at times even guess-in-committee on the future, however simply stating "Not really useful..." it itself a useless statement and does not fit the mission of this forum.

If you have something constructive to say or want to offer alternatives that you have tried yourself, please feel free to join in the conversation, but your post is too close to being a "smack-down" of another members attempt to make his shooting experience more "useful". Be helpful or watchful, not spiteful.
Yeah, what he said! ;-)
Old May 17th, 2008, 01:31 AM   #10
Trustee

Michael,

could you post pics or a diagram how you did this hack? i'm interested to DIY this myself.

Thanks for sharing this info.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders