HPX-2100 and FCP6 not seeing clips on P2 cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 28th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #1
Major Player

HPX-2100 and FCP6 not seeing clips on P2 cards

Hi all,

I spent my saturday shooting a promo with a Pana HPX-2100, which is the "european" version of the HPX-2000.
The framerate was 25p in 1080@50i as this camera can't do native 25P.

The director wanted to see the final version during the shoot, so an editor was here with his PC and Avid.

As he was having some problems I tried to import the clips into Final Cut Pro 6 on my macbook pro 17" I was using to unload/archive the P2 cards.

I read a lot of tips and tutos on that, and I installed the P2 drivers (in case) and so on.
The way to import to FCP should be easy : file-> browse and capture -> select the directory where the P2 files are and you will see the clips.

I did this, but... nothing never apeared.
I'm pretty sure this is due to FCP DVCPRO-HD codecs not supporting the 25p inside 1080@50i...

I finaly download the P2 browser, which include a MXF codec, so I was able to drag and drop the MXF files directly inside the timeline.

I still would like to know what was wrong with the import function in FCP, as I will have to edit some clips and I'm not sure working with the MXF file is the best way.

Thanks.
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Until Apple provides FCP with native P2 MXF support you have to use "Log and Transfer" to have the MXF files translated into Quicktimes or third-party programs for that same capability.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #3
Major Player

In fact, as I said, you do get a MXF Quicktime codec when installing the P2CMS tool.

What I don't have is the "log and transfert" working.
When I start it and select the P2 folder (the one with the CONTENT and the lastclip.txt file), nothing happen.

That's why I'm asking, do I miss something or is FCP not compatible with P2 files shoot at 1080 25p ?

Thanks.
Old April 28th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

What version FCP/Quicktime?
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Major Player

Your definitely selecting the folder/drive (card) that has the contents folder in it and not actually clicking on the contents folder? selecting the actual contents folder doesn't actually work...
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #6
Major Player

FCP 6.0.3
Quicktime 7.4.5 (25)

Yes, I'm importing the root folder, containing a CONTENTS folder and a LASTCLIP.TXT file.

Here are the file in my /Library/QuickTime folder :

AC3MovieImport.component DVCPROHDVideoDigitizer.component IMXCodec.component
AppleHDVCodec.component DVCPROHDVideoOutput.component LiveType.component
AppleIntermediateCodec.component DVCPROHDVideoOutputClock.component MXFImporter.component
AppleMPEG2Codec.component DVCPROHDVideoOutputCodec.component Motion.component
AppleProRes422.component DesktopVideoOut.component Perian.component
DVCPROHDCodec.component FCP Uncompressed 422.component TSCC.component
DVCPROHDMuxer.component FLV.component

As I said, when I import the root folder, just nothing happen. Neither the list of the clips or an error...

I surely can provide a folder with few clips if one of you want to try.

As I said, another thing is bothering me in FCP, which could be related to the problem :
I was shooting 25p in 1080@50i.
In the FCP configuration (or simple config), I have only 1080i (@50, @60) or 1080p (@30 or @A24). No 1080p@25 (even if encapsulated in 1080i@50)...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders