Which framerate to choose on Varicam for both PAL and NTSC SD output? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old May 21st, 2008, 04:45 PM   #1
Tourist

Which framerate to choose on Varicam for both PAL and NTSC SD output?

I've read conflicting info on this so I'm hoping someone can give me a definitive answer.
What I'd like to know is - which is the best framerate to shoot footage which needs to be delivered in both PAL and NTSC SD formats? The camera used will be a Varicam shooting DVCPRO HD and the footage itself won't have a lot of fast motion. The cameraman has a preference to shoot it at 24P but I'm wondering if this is the best choice. We will be editing on the latest version of FCP.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
James Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

A lot depends on what you are shooting. Is this a TVC, Doc, indy film, etc?
Brad Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Tourist

A few minutes of aerial footage / location shots for a potential news broadcast. I'm hoping that if we shoot 720 24P, it will be possible to use FCP 6 to convert to 50i and 60i without too much pain (or stuttery motion)..
Am I being optimistic here?
James Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

Welcome to the forum, James.

Your best bet would be to shoot at 30p; this would give you a happy medium to start with for making your conversions later.

Compressor 3 can make very high-quality conversions of all kinds; frame rate, speed, size NTSC-to-PAL etc. But, those high-quality settings will take a great deal of time to crunch the data.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders