Blu Ray Backup for P2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Blu Ray Backup for P2

Hello,

Quick one. Using an HVX 200 - and MacBook Pro to offload LOTS of P2 footage, backing up footage to 1 primary and 2 back-up TB drives, BUT 2 of my G-Raid 1 TB drives went down! Yikes...Getting them refurbished and backing them up...again. *Sigh*

Needless to say, I am worried about these potentially fickle drives.

So, I am now looking at Blu-Ray as a Hard back-up to my footage so i will have it in 3 drives AND backed up to Blu Ray just as a precaution...Ideas?

I have just finished filling up my first TB and with 2 back-ups, am now trying to figure out which Blu-Ray Burner to buy (best deal, price, recommendations, etc), any info on discs to purchase or overall advice, as these 2 recent drives going down have understandably got me panicked.

Basically, any and all information about the Blu Ray world, as the online forums have left my head in a tizzy especially after almost losing 2 hard drives recently.

Help.

And thank you!

Cheers,
JC
Justin Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Major Player

We use blu ray to back up our files from a Sony EX1. Right now the cheapest discs are the 25 gig ones. I think we were able to get them for around $5 a disc or so.

The 50 gig dual layer discs are much more expensive and harder to find.

We use Toast 9 on our macs to burn the discs using external burners through USB. Not the fastest way to do it but it was pretty cost effective.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Better than Halle Berry

Have you looked into LTO instead? Much more reliable long term and more suitable to long-term backup than Blu-Ray.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks

'ppreciate the help guy.

think i am going for a blu-ray just as a precautionary measure.

you guys rock.
Justin Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #5
Major Player

For short term backups, blu-rays, dvds, etc - will do. Long term, data tapes (DLT, SDLT, LTO, etc) - are the best.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Does anyone have a favorite recommendation for specific DLT, LTO drives? At my old work, we had the Quantum DLT-6000, which was okay, but a bit slow and clunky and it was pretty costly as I recall, somewhere around $6-$7k. Looking for a good longterm backup for a lot less money, if it exists.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #7
Major Player

Yes - CDW sells one Quantum DLT tape drive for less than US$1K. Connects via USB 2.0 and eSATA. Use eSATA and you can get pretty good speed.

CDW Product Overview : Quantum DLT-V4 Tape Drive-USB2.0 and eSATA

Other websites can get slightly lower prices too.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Ting Sern:

This looks very interesting. In the specs, it only lists compatibility with PC and Unix, I wonder if it will work with Macs?

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #9
Major Player

Hardware wise, I don't think it pose an issue. As long as you have an eSATA card plugged into the Mac - and have an appropriate device driver loaded for the eSATA card, the device should not pose a problem for the Mac.

Software wise - that will be a problem. I don't know of any tape backup software running on Mac OS ...

Alternatively, if you have a PC, you can connect the tape drive to your PC. Then toss your Mac files into a USB portable drive - then you can transfer the data to your PC and backup to tape that way.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders