Questions about the HPX170 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old June 12th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Questions about the HPX170

1. Are there viewscreen & viewfinder an improvement on that of the HVX200? I found the 200 to have a fairly unimpressive viewscreen in terms of resolution and outdoor clarity.

2. Can the 170 be used as a pass-through to view HD footage on an HDTV (via component) when coming from a Final Cut Pro timeline?

3. How is the construction of this unit? I felt the 200 was a really solid, well-built unit.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #2
Major Player

My previous camera was a HVX202 (PAL version). My present camera is HPX172 (again PAL version). So I guess I am qualified to answer your questions -

a) Physically, the same LCD screen - viewfinder - not so sure. BUT, in terms of clarity, you might as well be looking at two totally different screens. You can DEFINITELY be able to focus with the HPX172 screen - something that is well nigh almost impossible with the HVX202.

b) HPX172 has something even better than component - it has HD-SDI output. Beats component output anyday. I connect the HPX172 to my Panasonic broadcast monitor and A-B between the HPX172 HD-SDI versus component on HVX202 staring at the same subject under the same lighting .... well, HPX172 wins miles down.

c) HPX172 is just the same construction, but is about 1kg lighter :-). (Minus the tape drive).

TS
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TingSern Wong View Post
b) HPX172 has something even better than component - it has HD-SDI output. Beats component output anyday. I connect the HPX172 to my Panasonic broadcast monitor and A-B between the HPX172 HD-SDI versus component on HVX202 staring at the same subject under the same lighting .... well, HPX172 wins miles down.
I don't have a monitor with SDI input, so that's not an option. So, can I take a firewire output feed from Final Cut Pro and use the HPX170 as a pass-through to view my NLE project on the monitor via component video as I edit?
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Why are you creating so much complications? Why can't you just directly connect your Mac's output to your monitor instead of using your camera as an intermediate?
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Why are you creating so much complications? Why can't you just directly connect your Mac's output to your monitor instead of using your camera as an intermediate?
I don't feel like spending $1000 to get a Matrox MXO unit.
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #6
Major Player

Well, you can do what you want to do. BUT, the output from the camera when connected this way is not guaranteed to be a real time representation of the output from your NLE. Frame skips and/or overlays may occur.

(That warning was given in the Panasonic's HPX172 manual).

May I asked - what Mac box are you using? A desktop or a notebook?
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Well, you can do what you want to do. BUT, the output from the camera when connected this way is not guaranteed to be a real time representation of the output from your NLE. Frame skips and/or overlays may occur.

(That warning was given in the Panasonic's HPX172 manual).

May I asked - what Mac box are you using? A desktop or a notebook?
I'm using an iMac (duo core, etc).
Is this limitation (frame skips) the same type of issue you get with unrendered SD timelines? In other words, you would only experience this with footage that requires rendering? Or is it something worse?
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #8
Major Player

I don't have any personal experience with that - because I never used my HPX172 in this manner. Only used the HD-SDI output as connection to my field monitor when filming. My NLE is connected directly to my Panny's broadcast monitor via component output.

However - I did take a look at the component cable that comes with my HPX172 - something that I have never used to date. The cable do look terribly thin ... and it may not be able to carry the true analog bandwidth of HD component signal.
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
I don't have any personal experience with that - because I never used my HPX172 in this manner. Only used the HD-SDI output as connection to my field monitor when filming. My NLE is connected directly to my Panny's broadcast monitor via component output.

However - I did take a look at the component cable that comes with my HPX172 - something that I have never used to date. The cable do look terribly thin ... and it may not be able to carry the true analog bandwidth of HD component signal.
I don't suppose I could twist your arm to try the setup I'm asking about? I'm curious as to the performance. Don't you need an MXO or some other 'go-between' to view your timeline on the Panny monitor?
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #10
Major Player

I am not using a Mac - I use EDIUS NX (PC Windows based NLE). The card comes with both Firewire and component output ... which I used it to drive my Panny monitor.
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #11
Major Player

Can anyone out there fill me in on this issue? Please?
Old June 14th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #12
Barry Wan Kenobi

The HPX170 does the job you're asking about. It will take a firewire input and transcode it to analog component output (or HD-SDI output), even of an HD signal.

Now, if your Mac can't stream the data out in real time, then sure you might get frame skips or something, but the camera should be solid. I don't use the Mac though so I haven't spent much time with this, but when I tried it, it worked.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders