Can't watch files from HVX footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old July 8th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #1
Tourist

Can't watch files from HVX footage

Hello,

I am currently editing a feature film. I had to do pick ups with a friends camera (HVX 100). We recorded directly into his PC (not using P2 cards) at 720p24 HD. I was given the files, which are .avi's. I have a macbook pro and work in final cut. I cannot watch the raw files or watch them in final cut once they are imported.
When I try to open the .avi's in vlc it says "no suitable decoder module for fourcc `dvh1'
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format". I googled this codec and can't find it on a mac.
Can anyone help out?

Thanks alot!
Jacquelyn Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Some codecs are only available on Windows platform. What software were you using for recording the HVX100 video on the PC? Did you attempted to play back the AVI you recorded on the PC software to see if it was recorded properly in the first place? For Mac to PC and vice versa, the best option will be (1) Uncompressed AVI - huge files (no doubt), or (2) Cineform's Codec - which you can get for both Mac and Windows platform.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Tourist

I'm not sure what program he used to record the footage and I can't reach him to find out.
We played back the files on the PC after we recorded and they all worked.
I think the files I have are uncompressed .avi's so I don't see why they wouldn't work.
Does the Cineform's Codec cost money, where is the best place to get it?
Thanks alot!
Jacquelyn Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi,

Codec DVH1 is described here -
SMPTE 370M - data structure for DV based audio, data and compressed video at 100 Mb/s - 1080/60i, 1080/50i, and 720/60p. This is basically a high definition variant of dv25 and dv50.

So - it is NOT uncompressed video.

I don't know where you can find the equivalent codec for the Mac platform.

Regarding Cineform's codec -

You can't use it now ... too late. You have to install it on the PC that was used for recording the video, and use that to record. Then you have to install the Mac equivalent on Final Cut Pro - and use that to input.

You can get it from Videopro website (or from Cineform's website itself).
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

He probably used Adobe OnLocation to capture the streaming video. If you have the CS3 or CS4 suite (or just Premiere Pro CS3 or CS4) it should install the appropriate codec on your Mac.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #6
Tourist

Jacky and I are working together on this codec issue. I have been able to view the footage in OnLocation on CS4 (MAC) but I have no way of getting it out of that program. It doesn't make sense to me that I can view it with OnLocation but that Premiere or After Effects work read the files. Is there a good way to use the export XML function so as to use this footage in AE or Premiere?

Thanks!
Ryan Spence is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders