HVX200 Pricing Speculation - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 31st, 2005, 07:25 PM   #91
Panasonic Broadcast

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Dooley : In keeping with this whole "time on P2" theme, does anyone know if Firestore's upcoming HD upgrade for the FS-4 will support DVCPROHD?

I'm sure Firestore had to know this was coming, so I guess we can always hope, huh? -->>>

Hi Kevin,

I was talking to them about it and they are thinking. Perhaps to help them positively consider They will need encouragement from customers. But they are looking for options on how to make it work. Customers always help me make better decisions. ;-)

Best,

Jan
Old March 31st, 2005, 07:29 PM   #92
Major Player

Well, I'll do my part and send them a little email, because between this cam and a Firestore I'm sold, as that will tide me over until P2 is cheap enough.

I don't want to paint you into a corner Jan, but I assume then that the new cam has a firewire connector (I know someone speculated in another thread that it might not...)
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #93
Major Player

dvuser.co.uk are reporting that the camera will retail for "A little over £3000"GBP in the UK.
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:22 PM   #94
Major Player

Interesting... what's the source? Do you have a direct link?
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #95
Trustee

Is Panasonic trying to put people like me out of business or something?
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #96
Major Player

It's http://www.dvuser.co.uk/Main%20pages/what%27s%20new%20pages/panasonic%20AG-HVX200.html.

The short "article" was posted today, and contains all the info we already know, plus the price...?

I would guess that would come in at $4000-5000 USD.
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #97
Major Player

What do you mean Simon?

Thanks for the link. That ends up being about 5,300 USD or so (rough calculation).
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #98
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Shaw : What do you mean Simon?

Thanks for the link. That ends up being about 5,300 USD or so (rough calculation). -->>>

Is this price for real? That's a street price of 4,999. If so , Wow! Can someone verify this!
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #99
Major Player

Thanks for the calculation...

I think the UK price is generally higher than the USD price, so I would guess maybe $4999?

And another $4999 for P2 cards?
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #100
Major Player

Actually at that sort of price, and without the burden of having to buy a VCR it does become quite viable to stock up on P2 cards.

I'm so torn. The JVC GY-HD100 is coming in "under £4200" but won't have the fantastic 100mbit 4:2:2 HD.

On the other hand I don't really want to have to lug a laptop around on small crew docco shoots, just so I can keep offloading P2 cards.
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #101
Major Player

I'm sure there will be other options than P2 at first :)

As for the choice, NAB will reveal all! Should be much easier to decide then. I'm hesitant to believe such a low price for the Panasonic camera but I would love it if it were true. What sort of credibility does the article writer have? I'm not familiar with the UK sites.
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #102
Trustee

Alex, I don't know the cost of the panasonic offload hard disk, but maybe put the money you would have used in a deck, into that instead. More portable than a laptop. Or...use a firestore.

Aaron
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #103
Trustee

Aaron, although this thing doesn't have interchangeable lenses, it still does DVCpro50. That really does put a huge pressure on people with DSR570's etc to pay off if this new camera is as low as has been mentioned.

High def I can live with. It'll be a while before that becomes a must have feature. But DVCpro50 on a cheap camera like that, plus don't forget it will have HD glass on it, makes it a rather serious and rather unpleasant arrival for some! 10k would have been fine. That's the same market as the DSR etc series. But 3k is around the same market as the DVX100.

Hopefully this rumour is BS. Sorry guys, I know you want DVCproHD that cheap, but at that kind of price, as someone mentioned in a thread elsewhere on DVinfo, this could mean serious problems for some production companies. They really would have to compete *in the customers eyes* with the kid in the bedroom with one of these new cameras. Thats not good for people who are trying to make a living from video who don't do TV or high end work, but still do low-mid corporate using the full size cameras.

Why not just release a DVCproHD shoulder cam for less than the SDX900? Lets see how owners of that cam react!

Probably getting wound up for nothing. Dunno where that price info on that dv site comes from anyway.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #104
Trustee

I'm not up on the play with all the cams, that's for sure, but the 570 has so many features that this cam won't have that there will still be a distinct difference. Maybe not in res, but in the quality of the image, seeing as it's 2/3" chips and all that guff.

Also the 570 has interchangeable lenses and I'm sure the ones you can get for it will blow the one on the new Panny. As Jan said herself when talking about the new JVC, that for Under 10K we can't expect decent glass....and well, I'd imagine that it'd be the same for the new Panny. Sure it will blow *US* all away, but for those high end guys and DP's etc, they'll always love the super cool hidef lenses I'd imagine.

The 570 has all those VTR interface thingies that I know almost nothing about, which I'd imagin this Panny one won't so event guys will be able to feed out and all that stuff.

I dunno, but I do think these are different markets, and people think you're way cooler and more pro if you

1) Have a shoulder mount cam - which this isn't
2) Have big chips - which this doesn't.

My uncle works in the industry and I remember talking to him about their concern with hiring a cameraman that had 1/2" chips in his cam cause they were worried it wasn't going to be good enough. Whether that was just his production company's weird way of thinking I dunno, but maybe not. If not, those people won't hire someone with a little Panny of 1/3" chips..

Aaron
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:20 PM   #105
Major Player

Let's face it, this is a slick cam...but a prosumer cam at that.

And 5k is, at the moment, the prosumer top level price. I say 4995 to 5995 for the panny.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders