It's official: $5,995 for the HVX200, includes DV tape transport - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 17th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Sigh..

so.. is the DV tape transport for recording DV/DVCAM only?
Is the DVCPRO SD/HD only available via P2 and/or external drive?
Mike Tiffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, tape is DV and DVCPro only. DVCPro HD tape transport would have put the cam in the $20K range at least!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #18
Regular Crew

l know this is dreaming a bit but one thing l like about the price not being 10K is that just maybe Panasonic might have a 1/2 detachable lense version of the HVX200 in the 10K price bracket in the wings. They would never bring out a 2/3 version as stated earlier in a post as it would eat into the market of camera's like SDX900 etc. At least with a 1/2 detachable version you could maybe invest in a 1/2 to 2/3 adapter and make an investment of a good quality 2/3 lense which could be most likely used with future camera's as well as being able to give more film like DOP.

That's my whish & dream for now.

Andrew P
Andrew Pascoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #19
Trustee

That would be the perfect affordable HD camera. I would even pay 15,000 for it with a stock lens. But I think it will not happen any time soon. Not from Panasonic or Sony.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #20
Trustee

So pretty much, the Z1 has some competition, but the FX1 is safe for a while? That's what is sounds like to me. And since I own the FX1, I guess I can stop thinking about my next camera for a while.
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #21
Wrangler

Very impressive! Only thing is, they say "Q4"... Does that mean September 1 or December 31?... Once it's released it will probably be tough to get a hold for a little while (and personally I don't like to be the first kid on the block with a new camera design :-) So it could be anywhere from 6 to 12 months before people start getting these in any quantity.

So while this camera looks really cool, and the price is attractive, the Z-1 doesn't really have much competition for awhile. And perhaps it will help drive the price down a bit on the Z-1 as well...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Looking at Panasonic's history, when they say Q4 they usually mean Sep. / Oct.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Very impressive! Only thing is, they say "Q4"... Does that mean September 1 or December 31?... Once it's released it will probably be tough to get a hold for a little while (and personally I don't like to be the first kid on the block with a new camera design :-) So it could be anywhere from 6 to 12 months before people start getting these in any quantity.

So while this camera looks really cool, and the price is attractive, the Z-1 doesn't really have much competition for awhile. And perhaps it will help drive the price down a bit on the Z-1 as well...

Boyd I agree with you here. The Z1 can sit pretty tight for sometime, and, well who knows what will happen in the mean time? I could see Sony adding real 24p and a few other features. Maybe even coming out with another camera? Seeing as it's going to take this long, I might end up with something like the HD100 - or, just getting a DVX for now.

Aaron
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #24
Major Player

So can it record any HD on tape?
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #25
Regular Crew

The FX1 is a great camera. I have seen beautiful images captured with it. I have even printed 8x10's from deinterlaced frames and they look awesome. I can get a Z1U and get a firestore with HDV support ( when released ) for less then the AG-HVX200. I am considering this route. Then convert the files to DVCproHD in FCP to edit with. It's all up in the air right now.

When you buy the AG-HVX200 for 6K, it's just a DV camera that can do HD, but to do DVCPRO HD one must either have a Firestore like device or P2.

So add at-least the price of the P2 or hard drive, That's another 1,500 to 2,000 dollars. Not incuding new hardrives to archive material you need to keep for ever.

Newer computer to edit with. My G4's are not going to cut it. I must spend alteast another $3,000 on a G5,

I belive that the AG-HVX200 should have came standard with a 2gig starter P2 to film DVCPRO HD. It is after all an HD camera.

Bad mistake by Panasonic not to include a minium 2gig which does not give one much time, but good to start learning your HD work flow with and the camera.

Michael Pappas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gotz
So pretty much, the Z1 has some competition, but the FX1 is safe for a while? That's what is sounds like to me. And since I own the FX1, I guess I can stop thinking about my next camera for a while.
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #26
Trustee

That's what I'm feeling Michael - not to have HD out of the box is a shame. But who knows, it's months before it comes out, so it might do by then! With all this in mind, I might consider the HD100 when it comes out in June. Interchangeable lens, 720p. Too bad it's HDV.

Aaron
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #27
Major Player

But I'll miss Sony's focus presets, oh well... nice enough trade:)
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #28
Major Player

"Yes, tape is DV and DVCPro only"

Chris, was that a typo?
Or do you mean we can shoot DVCPro onto tape?

I thought DVCPro required MP tape, and that was only made in full DV tape shells.

If it is true, any idea how much time we get out of a 60min miniDV tape?
If I'm not mistaken, DVCPro requires the tape to run faster than DVCam runs (and you get 40min on a 60min DV tape in DVCam mode).

I'm assuming you meant to say it was DV only to tape...but if it is DVCPro to tape, that's really good news for some people!
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:13 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Sony could add a firmware upgrade to create a 24P mode. If that happen, I might get the Z1U. The cineframe 24 debacle should have Sony feeling real stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Koolen
Boyd I agree with you here. The Z1 can sit pretty tight for sometime, and, well who knows what will happen in the mean time? I could see Sony adding real 24p and a few other features. Maybe even coming out with another camera? Seeing as it's going to take this long, I might end up with something like the HD100 - or, just getting a DVX for now.

Aaron
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Caffesse
If it is true, any idea how much time we get out of a 60min miniDV tape?
If I'm not mistaken, DVCPro requires the tape to run faster than DVCam runs (and you get 40min on a 60min DV tape in DVCam mode).
Luis, you're mixing up DVCPro tape formats. When Chris said DVCPro, he meant DVCPro25. You're expecting that to mean DVCPro50.
Murad Toor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders