How will canon react? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 19th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #16
Trustee

Agreed, Canon only show stuff when it's ready (silly me thinks, but tha's the way they work) but I'm not sure what they can do. I mean they're not in the league of Panasonic reagarding revolutionary development - I wouldn't be surprised if they offered something that was pretty much like the HD100 with a couple of added things they could think to chuck in there.

I think a lot of Sony and JVC's will be selling for the next 6 months with HDV going crazy. Panasonic are taking their time with the HVX unfortunately.

Aaron
Old April 19th, 2005, 03:17 PM   #17
Major Player

Good point, Brandon. Canon usually doesn't pre-announce products like Panasonic and others. They ship very soon after announcing.

I would also hazard a guess that we may see a GL3 w HDV before we see the XL3 w HDV. Good way to test the waters for them.

KW
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #18
Regular Crew

let's just hope so. I am a big fan of the way canon sets up their cameras. If there isn't a buzz about an XL3 sometime before the panasonic arrives, I will have to go for the panny.
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:07 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wild
Good point, Brandon. Canon usually doesn't pre-announce products like Panasonic and others. They ship very soon after announcing.

I would also hazard a guess that we may see a GL3 w HDV before we see the XL3 w HDV. Good way to test the waters for them.

KW

Crazy though isn it? They know there's a move to HD, and they know people want to lap it up, so why test the waters. That's what their problem is - they seem to scared. I really like the Canon cameras, but they have lost any loyalty I had with them.

Aaron
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:02 PM   #20
Regular Crew

It does make more sense for Canon to release a GL3 first. The GL2 is getting dated, and when they released it, it had the features and more of the XL1-S, except, of course, for the interchangable lenses. So not only is the GL2 getting old, but the HD market from Sony and Pananic consists of cameras that do not have interchangable lenses, and still vouch some of the prosumer features of older cams such as the infinite focus ring. Thus, an HD GL3 would be a perfect contender in this market, whereas an HD XL3 is a) far off, and b) would be expensive compared to the competition.
Daniel Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:15 PM   #21
Major Player

which is better

1) a smack in the face?

2) HDV50

dont ask me - ask the Redhill mafia

warning this post should be in area 51

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #22
Major Player

Canon could really pull a fast one if they were ready to go with a HD GL type camera for about $4 to 5 grand. Put something like that out about July and steal some of Panasonics thunder. It would have to be really good. The HVX200 is going to be hard to beat,,,,
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #23
Trustee

If their past GL series is anything to go by though, they will no doubt cripple (feature reduce) it compared to what a pro version would be. No XLR's less of a lens control (Focus/zoom etc), no RCA audio out and a few other things. They'd really have to make a GL3 that would be like the imaginary XL3 would be, but just without the interchangeable lenses. If they did that, that would be interesting.

Aaron
Old April 19th, 2005, 10:39 PM   #24
Major Player

Here's all they could do with HDV:

GL3
1080i (possibly 1080/24p/30p)
720/24p/30p
No XLR's
GL-form factor
Expanded picture control a'la more recent cameras
MiniDV recording

XL3
Same as above as far as shooting modes
2x XLR ports
XL-form factor
Possibly same form factor but with different lense mount for HD lenses

That's about it. The XL3 could beat the JVC if they had their own "cheap" HD lenses to go with it. If they can't come up with something different, then they're basically making the same camera with the Canon logo on it. I think signing on to HDV was a shot in the foot for Canon if that's what they intend for their prosumer cameras to shoot with, however, they'll make TONS on HDV versions of their ZR/Optura/ect. consumer lines.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders