any one compared HM100 and HPX170 (or HMC 150) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

any one compared HM100 and HPX170 (or HMC 150)

I'm close to purchasing one of these three camera's the hmc 150, hm100 and hpx 170. I'd use the camera for filming lectures, sermons, occasionally a small time commercial or band video. Has any one used these and could you recommend one?
John Sconiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

John:

Three very different cameras. Each has their own pluses and minuses. I have used the HMC150 and I own the 170. I have not used the JVC but Rick has JVC GY HM-100 - Likes and Gripes

Here are my opinions.

1. 170 is the best pro camera of these three but costs a lot more, especially when you factor in P2 cards. 4:2:2 color space on the DVC PROHD codec of the 170 is superior to the 4:2:0 long GOP codec that AVCHD utilizes. Superior for keying, superior for compositing and color correction.

2. AVCHD is a hobbyist format. It really requires transcoding to a pro format like ProRes to do much editing beyond simple cuts and even to handle any AVCHD, you need a pretty hot computer,

3. P2 cards are much more reliable and robust than SDHC cards.

4. My experience with JVC Pro Video Products has been less than satisfying. No pro rental houses touch JVC. JVC does not have a record of reliability that is the equal of Sony or Panasonic. That's all I will say. Ask around and research JVC Pro Video reliability.

5. The HMC150 is a good camera, it is basically the same as the 170 with a different codec, fewer features, consumer features (HDMI output instead of SDI on the 170, no VFR on the 150, AVCHD codec vs. DVC PROHD). A good camera but it does have the limitations of working on a consumer rather than pro codec and workflow. Do you have time to transcode all of your footage every time you shoot a project? With AVCHD, depending on your computing horsepower and editing needs, there is a good chance you will have to. DVC PROHD is a robust and efficient codec. AVCHD is not.

6. The cool thing the JVC has over the HMC150 is that is records at a higher bit rate (35mpbs) and the clips are ready for FCP, although I am unclear on if the clips from their format need to be transcoded to a better codec for advanced editing operations.

I would not buy any of these cameras without testing them in person. By the time you purchase extra P2 cards for the 170, you will be in a completely different cost category than either of the other two cameras. If you can afford it, it is worth it. But don't forget, if you don't already have them, you will need pro support, case, batteries, filters, accessory lenses, etc. These altogether will roughly equal the cost of the camera itself if you buy quality. So with the 170, can you really afford about $10k to $12k for a camera system? For the other two cameras, can you really afford roughly $7k for a camera system?

I always tell people just starting off, you can't shoot with a camera. You can only shoot with a camera system that includes camera body, accessories like lenses, filters, a quality camera support system (tripod head and legs), spare batteries, cases for camera and tripod and then of course, grip, lighting and audio as well.

The proper way to budget that almost nobody wants to hear about is to take the cost of your camera and at least double it for a camera system. This is for pros who are using their cameras to earn a living, not hobbyists. If you are a hobbyist, I would personally go with the 150, it is a great camera for the money or I would investigate a DSLR. If you are doing this to make a living, the 170 is the way to go. JVC? Not in my consideration.

Good luck,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks!

Thanks for the response Dan. This is the information I needed. I would like to move from my two SD camcorders and have an opportunity to buy a used hpx 170 with two 16gb p2 cards for 4500 or just get a new hmc 150. I edit in FCP and currently do not do color correcting or advanced editing but would like to. I prefer to go tape less and while I am disappointed that 32GB p2 card is extremely expensive and only gives ~2 hours I can deal with it. As for accessories I'm already looking at getting a redrock m2e, 35mm lense and later on a p2 card reader. So I guess I'm going with the hpx 170.
Old November 24th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle

John:

I have had my 170 for over a year, it is a great camera. Not sure if you have read this but you may find it interesting. Panasonic's HPX170

Enjoy!

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #5
Trustee

Dan, your review of the HPX170 helped me considerably in my purchase decission about 5 months ago. I like the 4:2:2 color space and the robustness of the P2 cards. I did not want to transcode as with the HMC150. I still have a lot to learn about using the HPX170 but am growing very comfortable with using it. I also looked hard at the HM100 but wanted to move up to 1/3" cam after using a Pany DVC30 cam for many years. My whole decission making process took about 3 months of research.

John, I think you would be very happy with the HPX170. Be sure to think about your editing computer and software also. I upgraded my computer and NLE software to make sure everything worked in a seamless manner. Also, added a P2 card reader to my computer.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

p2 card reader and lenses

Can you offer any help on a usb / fire wire p2 card or pcmcia reader and lenses? I have a 17" mac book pro and octo mac pro. I would like something that could be used on both via usb. also looking for 35mm and 50mm lenses to be used with redrocm m2e.
Old November 24th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

The 5-slot readers from Panasonic can be used on both Mac and Windows. They can connect via PCI-express, Firewire 800, or USB 2.0, and cost around $2000.

There is no bargain USB reader available at this time.

For a laptop, you can get $25 to $120 readers that work in the ExpressCard slot.

You can get a $100 slot reader that will work in a Windows desktop, but not on a Mac desktop.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sconiers View Post
I prefer to go tape less and while I am disappointed that 32GB p2 card is extremely expensive and only gives ~2 hours I can deal with it.
What P2 card are you referring to? Go for the E series P2 - dirt cheap now. 64GB E-P2 is about US$800 each. No need for the A series - unless you are a news station.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders