New $350.00 Single Slot P2 Reader?!?! Finally! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 01:07 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Right Toke, but a lot of users don't use an editing laptop for dumping P2 cards. I don't personally know very many PC users who edit on PC laptops either, not that it can't be done but it is much more common for Mac users to use their MBPs for editing that to find PC laptop users who edit on their laptops. Most of the PC editors I know use big, fancy desktops to edit video. The few PC laptops I have seen that include integrated FW use the horrible Sony 4-pin i-link connection, which offers no bus power for FW drives.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 04:32 PM   #17
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toke Lahti View Post
No fw800?
Epic Fail!

They've had fw in 5-slot readers for years...GRRR!
And they still do. You want a 5-slot reader with FW800, go right ahead and buy it.

You want a $350 product? Something's gotta give to get the price down.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 04:35 PM   #18
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
The few PC laptops I have seen that include integrated FW use the horrible Sony 4-pin i-link connection, which offers no bus power for FW drives.
FW800 never caught on in the Windows world. I don't know of any Windows laptop anywhere that has a FW800 port on it. If you want firewire on a Windows laptop, it's gonna be 4-pin.

And while the connector is indeed a Sony design and is indeed horrible, there is one compelling benefit to it over the six-pin -- a 4-pin FW connector has never ever blown up a camcorder's firewire port! :P

Anyway, FW800 seems like a quite marginalized interface. If you want a high speed reader for your desktop, get the PCD35 -- a direct PCI Express interface that runs at 3x the speed of FW800. If you want a high-speed transfer to a laptop, use the PCMCIA interface ($79 on Windows, unfortunately not available on the Apple).
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #19
Tourist

I'm upset this wasnt given USB 3.0 functionality
Craig Keiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #20
Major Player

$350 for simple reader is way overpriced (but of course in line with P2 prices over the years), when it does not have fw.

I will never dump 5 cards at once, so I'm not throwing €2k away for AJ-PCD20.
If they would have been smart, they could have made the new reader usb powered for 4-pin fw use. That way you could use it with any laptop.

Looks like I'm buying old powerbook with cardslot which costs less than this new adapter and has also hdd...
Toke Lahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #21
Major Player

If you need the speed of USB 3.0 today, you got it already - just use eSATA.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders