Any way to recover a deleted P2 file? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old June 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any way to recover a deleted P2 file?

I just tried to transfer my files from my p2 card reader onto my hard drive. It didn't look like the files transferred so I deleted to start over but I took them off the card. I didn't see them in the recycle bin. Can anyone tell me any good news to get them back?
Art White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Questions first -

a) What drive? And what OS? If you copied the P2 data into the "C" drive (for PC) or the same drive as the OS (for Macs) - then I am sorry - there is very little you can do to recover the data. The OS will have overwritten the deleted space with some other data.

If you had copied the data into a drive that have little data movement, you are in luck.

For Windows - try using an UNDELETE program - but, do NOT installl the program into the drive you are trying to recover the data from. Best is a bootable CD - where you boot up - minus the OS, and then let the program hunt for deleted files on your hard-disk.

For Macs - same thing - try going to the Trash folder and see if the P2 files are there.

Good luck.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I took it from the P2 reader to be stored on my I drive which is 2 Western Digital 500GB built as a RAID 0. I copied it over to the I drive but it appeared that it didn't transfer so I deleted it to start over but I deleted it from the P2drive.

Somebody told me it could be recovered because when you delete it off the card it's "still there" until you write over it. It just takes time to get it. It took over 24 hrs for 24 gig and I don't see any mfx files with the software I used. only APP, ARJ, BMP, FLC,MP32, MFS,SWF, etc.I believe I'm going to have to re-shoot this one!
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #4
Major Player

May I know who that expert is who claims that P2 card data can be recovered once you erase it from the P2 card?

Yes - the data is "still" there - but, the erasing process wipes out (zeroes) the directory on the P2 card - so, there is NO way any software undelete program is going to find your files on the P2 card. Sorry. It gets worse if you use the "E" series cards ... because of the way the firmware on the card allocates memory blocks, - it will allocate a new block of memory (to prevent reuse) when you write into the card (this is done to maximise the lifespan of the card). So - how are you going to access the "older" memory portions then?

I am sorry - but, you will definitely have to reshoot this one. Next time, don't erase your P2 card data until you have verified 100% that you have everything copied onto your PC.
Old June 14th, 2010, 03:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

TingSern Wong,
Thank you for the clarification. Just grasping at straws and wishful thinking. On a good note, the person I was shooting is a wonderful guy and won't object to a re-shoot. Fortunately, the 170 I had as a back up has good footage of the same shot at a close up. Here's the link where I got the information about un-deleting files.

How do I retrieve a folder I accidentally deleted? : deleted files, video files

Thanks for your help,
Art
Old June 14th, 2010, 04:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Art,

I think you pose the question wrongly.

Quote -
I just captured video on a video card and transported it to my computer hard drive via a P2 card reader.
Unquote.

Video card? What kind of video card? If it is a normal memory card (like CF, SDHC, etc) - the experts might be thinking along those lines - it is possible to unerase them.

I have doubts they knew you were referring to a Panasonic P2 card.

In any case, I don't think those people knew the way the card firmware erases contents from a P2 card. It is a secure erase - deliberately created to prevent contents from being recovered. Good from a security perspective - if some crooks got hold of a used (erased) P2 card, there won't be a chance of them to retrieve data from it.
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm pretty sure I confused them. BTW, it was an A series card. Makes me realize I need more P2 card to take away some of the urgency to get more footage on the card. Thanks for the info. - Art
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #8
Major Player

Just buy E series (64GB) - no need for A series now. Way cheaper. Cheers.
Old June 16th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Regular Crew

What do you mean? I don't have much knowledge and I generally listen well to others that do. I was always told the A series was the way to go. I know the E series is cheaper but why better now?

Thanks
Art
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #10
Major Player

I am not sure about prices in the US, but locally, in Singapore, the E series are about 1/3 the price of an A series P2 card - for the same capacity.
Old June 19th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #11
Barry Wan Kenobi

If you still have the card and it hasn't been written over, there's a very good chance Panasonic can recover the data. I've seen reports from two or three people who had this same situation, and the Panasonic service center was able to recover the footage.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:19 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Barry,
Good thought. Thank goodness I had a second camera shooting also, so I didn't lose as much as I could have.
Art White is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders