HVX to be used at Winter Olympics? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old July 20th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #1
Major Player

HVX to be used at Winter Olympics?

The latest print edition of TVB Television Broadcast magazine, Sports TV Production (Page 54), has an article on world pool footage supplier Torino Olympic Broadcasting Organization (TOBO). The Winter Olympics run from 2/10/06 to 2/26/06. The article states that TOBO will be using P2 memory cards and shooting in the DVCProHD and DVCPro50 formats. The article also talks about how new mobile POV cameras will be used to get creative coverage of hockey, etc. Looking at the delivery date for the new HVX200 (12/05?), and the formats and storage that TOBO is going to use, I'd be surprised if TOBO doesn't bust out a few HVX200's for use at the Olympics. For some reason, probably feed and client network demand, TOBO will be recording all HD coverage in 1080i. Not a problem for the HVX.

What better coming out party for the HVX200?!! A significant part of my TV work is network-airing sports production. I'm already planning to buy two HVX200's for my company. For this work niche, and many others, it would help for the storage capacity of P2 cards to go up, and cost of them to go down...
Old July 20th, 2005, 07:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

that could work with the information i got at DV Expo East today....after talking with several panny reps, they said the camera would be out by nov, and working demo units will be out by sept.

also, a 16 GB P2 card was promised for NAB 2006

~Mike
Mike Rinkunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #3
Contributor

I would think they will be using the 2/3" chip P2 cameras.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 09:28 PM   #4
Major Player

Bill, I think you misunderstood my initial post, or perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have been. They will undoubtedly use 2/3" cameras as their primary acquisition tools, but for second unit shooting, cramped location b-roll, and ultra mobile shots, I would be surprised if they didn't use a few HVX200s. Why not? The HVX would be perfect for those applications, and shoots the exact formats they are using in their 2/3" cameras - DVCProHD and DVCPro50. If I was producing/directing the coverage, and I do produce/direct national and international sports event television coverage, I would use an HVX for the applications I explained above.
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:02 AM   #5
Major Player

On the last winter olympics I know there were small handheld DV cameras mounted on plywood sheets carried by skiers in at least one of the competitions. I think the HVX would work perfectly there.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders